What do you remember about Wrath of Khan? I was 15.

joeranger

Sr Member
As a teenager in 1982, I watched ST reruns but TV in those times was pretty limited. I remember ST2 being a pretty big deal. Sci Fi was huge because of SW. I have memories of Svengoolie doing a 3D horror film,,,Creature from the black lagoon??? And then showed "Space Seed".

When I later saw the movie Wrath of Khan that night, My friends and I were all like ...OHHHH, IIIIITTT"""SSSS KKHHAAANNN!!!!!!
It was like we were in on the secret. Remember, VCR's were the only way of seeing something "On Demand"

What I don't remember is seeing the movie trailer. I just watched it again and honestly don't remember it. What a ****ty trailer. It's like a Cliff Notes of the movie.
Was this the actual trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJTi7KJPx_E

It is a great movie. Really stands the test of time. The exact thing a sequel should be, familiar but different.

please share your own thoughts and memories.

I dont remember a trailer honestly. But then again i was born in the late 90's.

Alex

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One other interesting factoid about "back then"

Musicians didn't act, Actors didn't sing. TV stars didn't do movies...vice versa.
It was really really crazy that "Mr. Rourke of Fantasy Island" was going to be in a Sci Fi movie. Of course , we knew that he actually was Khan before, Rourke.

Actually Ricardo was a Movie star first then when TV came along went into that field so it was more of going home for him.

I remember it being touted as a movie that was way better then TMP at least that was what Jimmy, Walter and George were telling me

. TV stars didn't do movies...vice versa.
It was really really crazy that "Mr. Rourke of Fantasy Island" was going to be in a Sci Fi movie. Of course , we knew that he actually was Khan before, Rourke.

I was 4 and it's one of the first sit down movies I vaguely remember, especially the ending as it had the explosions.

One other interesting factoid about "back then"

Musicians didn't act, Actors didn't sing.

Dude, I just got a phone call.

Desi Arnaz, Gene Kelly, the entirety of the Rat Pack, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Rita Hayworth, and a whole host of stars want to have a conversation with you about that...

- - - Updated - - -

RoK made Star Trek cool again back in the early 80s I remember.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had no idea that the Republic of Korea was so influential in Hollywood...

Dude, I just got a phone call.

Desi Arnaz, Gene Kelly, the entirety of the Rat Pack, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Rita Hayworth, and a whole host of stars want to have a conversation with you about that...

I think that by "back then" he meant the '80,s when TWoK came out. But your point still stands, there were singing actors then and acting singers, I think that he never heard of a little movie called Grease. It's actually a perfect example of what's wrong his factoid, the movie starred a TV actor (Travolta previously starred in Welcome Back Kotter), Olivia Newton John was a singer first, and most of the actors in it sang.

I liked it as I needed all the good space and sci fi movies ( good sci fi movies ) to hold me over till the next star wars. This star trek was good and exciting. Kept my attention all the way through. The best imho.
Also enjoyed Buck Rogers Battlestar Galactica got me through the non star wars years. A stretch movie to include would be Batlle beyond the stars. A B movie for sure but still a fun space movie.

I was the same age. Big Trek fan of course. My father had passed on earlier that year suddenly, he was the one that drove us to movies, now it was up to my Mom.
Movies were a huge escape for me at that time from all the heavy emotions of losing a father as a teen.
Rumors were Spock died, the beginning of the film seemed to show that but simulated so maybe that
was it and he was going to be OK. The death was shocking, the photon tube certainly implied he would be back.
After the Motionless Picture, the action was much appreciated. The ships were so beautiful and still look fantastic today.
The year was transitional to me obviously.
A few movies that year were big on death, TWOK, Blade Runner, Poltergeist. I was processing a lot
I guess, movies helped, TWOK was part of that for me.

This movie will always hold a special place in my heart. I was about 16 or 17 when it came out. Me and my buddies were pretty wild back then--huge potheads. I remember we had gotten ahold of some super duper stuff, got totally baked before going into the theater. Woke up the next morning and couldn't remember a damn thing that happened in the movie. lol. I had to go back the next night to see it again, this time a little less cooked.

I've never considered any of the star trek films to be "great" films but after watching Khan again recently, I take it back. It's really, really good.

One of the reasons for that is that it has slow parts. In the same way that ESB has slow parts. The film actually breaths.

I was maybe 7 or 8 when I saw it for the first time. I remember being seriously squicked out by the ear bug things, and profoundly uncomfortable with Ricardo Montalban's bared chest. :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back