What are the benefits of a cast?

fynixdown

I was just curious. I could see it if you planned on making a lot of the same helmet or part. I've seen where people cast one helmet for themselves and I was just wondering why.

I've never done it, but if I had to guess: the possibility to make more. If you cast an item for yourself, but you have fairly average bodily dimensions for said item, and said item gains a significant amount of admiration in the community, you could probably make a few easy bucks by doing a run of that item (once you've decided you are content with not being the "unique snowflake" so to speak).

Besides for duplication purposes, a builder might make a one off cast because their original isn't made of a durable or functioning material. For example, the originals to many helmet builds are not hollow on the inside. By molding and casting it, you can create a light weight/thin yet durable shell, hollowed out for your head.

Or, and often the case, the original is made out of clay or wall plaster, mashed potatoes; some material that would not hold up well over time.

Another point to consider is weight. If you're making a full pep/resin/filler Iron Man suit, it's going to be pretty heavy. If you mold and cast the parts in a different medium, you cut down on the weight significantly

What the others have said.

When you have an original made from various materials (card, resin, bondo, plastic details, metal details etc.) this brings with it a number of problems: the item will be heavy, some of the materials may not take to paint as good as others, the areas where different parts meet might be susceptible to parting or breaking, or the bondo may crack after some use. The wall thickness may also be thicker than necessary.

With a cast, you have a thin, lightweight and durable piece. And because the whole thing is now a single part, it is far more durable, and even slight flexing won't cause areas to crack or separate.

What the others have said.

When you have an original made from various materials (card, resin, bondo, plastic details, metal details etc.) this brings with it a number of problems: the item will be heavy, some of the materials may not take to paint as good as others, the areas where different parts meet might be susceptible to parting or breaking, or the bondo may crack after some use. The wall thickness may also be thicker than necessary.

With a cast, you have a thin, lightweight and durable piece. And because the whole thing is now a single part, it is far more durable, and even slight flexing won't cause areas to crack or separate.

This makes alot of sense. Im currently making a helmet fiberglass bonding method. I know people talked about it getting heavier but I wasn't sure how much till I started messing with it. A lighter helmet would be nicer though.

I've never done it, but if I had to guess: the possibility to make more. If you cast an item for yourself, but you have fairly average bodily dimensions for said item, and said item gains a significant amount of admiration in the community, you could probably make a few easy bucks by doing a run of hat item (once you've decided you are content with not being the "unique snowflake" so to speak).

Yeah I figured that, I've just seen people cast multiple times for themself and just wondered why. Didn't make much sense to me if it was only for you.

Besides for duplication purposes, a builder might make a one off cast because their original isn't made of a durable or functioning material. For example, the originals to many helmet builds are not hollow on the inside. By molding and casting it, you can create a light weight/thin yet durable shell, hollowed out for your head.

Or, and often the case, the original is made out of clay or wall plaster, mashed potatoes; some material that would not hold up well over time.

As many times as I've seen people sculpt things I never thought of that. Wow I feel dumb Greg.

Another point to consider is weight. If you're making a full pep/resin/filler Iron Man suit, it's going to be pretty heavy. If you mold and cast the parts in a different medium, you cut down on the weight significantly

Im only doing a helmet right now the rest out of foam. I can see casted parts would ne much better for a full suit.

For me personally I created my own helmet because i have a big friggin head ;) 24 3/8" isn't a standard size so if I want something to fit right I have to customize it myself.

Another thought is, can you imagine spending all of those hours making something and it being destroyed by accident. A lot faster to pull something than to re-create it from scratch. Several hours saved to keep the set of armor in tact.

This is the main reason I am planning on casting most of my armor. (Still WIP) but when all said and done the originals will be on display in the house and I will wear a pulled set out and about :)

Another thought is, can you imagine spending all of those hours making something and it being destroyed by accident. A lot faster to pull something than to re-create it from scratch. Several hours saved to keep the set of armor in tact.

This is the main reason I am planning on casting most of my armor. (Still WIP) but when all said and done the originals will be on display in the house and I will wear a pulled set out and about :)

This is true. Its a good idea and may be something ill do when I have the funds.

I cast for when sculpting on a mannequin head with clay. I first sculpt the mask or helmet piece i want on the head and then i make a mold of that and cast it in a usable and wearable material

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back