What a REAL Obi-Wan AFBB might have looked like...UPDATED

Romans Empire

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
**EDIT**
So I tried the satin clamp and machine finish balance pipe, and I wasn't too please (sorry I didn't take pics).

However, I decided to polish up the brass windvane and leave the black areas flat... and BINGO! I'm happy with the results. Mostly shiny, but not as shiny as the MR version. :)

afbbcomp2.jpg afbbcomp1.jpg afbbcomp3.jpg

**ORIGINAL**
So I've always liked the Obi-Wan AFBB, but lately haven't been liking it sooooo shiny. So I thought it might be fun to make one with flat/semi-flat black surfaces, and less shiny neck.

The frag body & booster are black oxide. No paint.
The windvane is brass-black(ed)
The only paint is on the 16-hone emitter section.

I'm not sure about the results. I may end up making the frag body & booster flat black for a sharper contrast. What do you think?

a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg e.jpg f.jpg g.jpg h.jpg i.jpg j.jpg k.jpg l.jpg m.jpg n.jpg o.jpg

Last edited:
Re: What a REAL Obi-Wan AFBB might have looked like.....

Looks sweet!I wanted to compare to mine (In case I wanted to make tweaks) , but alas it is packed til June.

I've always imagined it might be more like Luke's rotj, with more of a satin finish to the bare metal parts like the emitter and clamp. Nice job though!

Thanks guys

I've always imagined it might be more...of a satin finish... like the emitter and clamp.

Agreed. That's the way I was originally going to go, but changed my mind at the last minute... since I'm not too jazzed about the look I got, I'll probably change out the clamp & emitter to satin finish. :thumbsup

Looks great ... indeed a little less chrome and you're done ... since I have several replica's here with the same kind of D-ring that you used ... I just wondered what's the origin of that particular shape? ... Even my 'vintage' Parks and Gavidoc use them :wacko

Chaim

Looks purty!

But I think satin as-new Graflex style would be suitable. The ROTS chrome-y look never Jived with me for some reason.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back