Wested offers again Ripley's leather jacket from ALIENS

Jonesythecat

I was browsing Wested website recently and I noticed that they have brought back the ALIENS leather jacket which for a long time had disappeared from their catalogue for who knows what reason.

aliens-2.jpg

I wonder if anything in the design has changed from the early 2000 version. Has anyone ordered it? On the website there are only photos from the movie.

yes, I've ordered 2 jackets from Wested.
I must say that Mr. Botwright is very kind and friendly but unfortunately both my 2 customized jackets are very different from the one we see in the movie. I even sent detailed special requests and pictures to Wested but it seems they're not able to replicate all those special features that set it apart from a standard A2 flight jacket. (epaulettes must not be sewn flat for example, bi-swing back, chest and arm pockets, low profile collar, missing leather facings etc.).
I guess that they made several jackets for Miss Weaver at that time because there are a few noticeable differences in some scenes. I ordered a third jacket now, I will let you know...

I was browsing Wested website recently and I noticed that they have brought back the ALIENS leather jacket which for a long time had disappeared from their catalogue for who knows what reason.

aliens-2.jpg

I wonder if anything in the design has changed from the early 2000 version. Has anyone ordered it? On the website there are only photos from the movie.

these are the jackets. The first two photos are from the standard Wested Ripley jacket. The last two photos are from a modified A2 jacket, because I thought it was better to modfiy a standard Wested A2 than buy again their Ripley's version. I was wrong by the way...

SAM_0103.jpg

SAM_0104.jpg

SAM_0105.jpg

SAM_0106.jpg

Can you post photos of your jackets?

no, unfortunately, even If I've sent them detailed special requests, pictures etc.!
I'm still waiting for the third one but I decided not adding epaulettes and chest/arm pockets this time because they always go wrong with these details (epaulettes always sewn flat for example, arm and chest pockets far away from the ones we see in the movie, no leather facings, lack of bi-swing back and back strip etc.) :sick

Thank you for the pictures. Still no back strip eh? Ahh!

This is disappointing. I was really hoping they could do it justice, although I'm not surprised given my past experiences with Wested. It's hard to see the details in the movie, can anybody post some good pictures of the screen worn jacket? I might have a go at making my own.

The film is pretty dark but still most of the details show up pretty nicely at some point. When I've got some time I could take HD screengrabs

I'd really appreciate that. I can't play the movie in HD until I get some replacement RAM. Just lags like crazy and ruins the movie.

Also, just thought I'd mention that another member was selling his Ripley Wested in the junkyard recently and it looked even less accurate than either of the ones posted in this thread. No action pleats, no hand warmers, and it was Indy jacket colored.

Then they wonder why people doubt about Wested involvement in the movie costume business.
They were the actual manufacturers for the first three movies (I got confirmation of this from someone who actually worked on the costumes for the films) but they probably didn't dig out any original template for this replica, they're just reproducing them as any other jacket-maker would do, by having a look at pictures (and not even too well), the base is still an Indiana Jones jacket, clearly.

The pity is that some details on the film jacket are so typically Wested that probably other companies will never get them right. However, I always hope for a good-priced replica from some fan who's crazy for accuracy.

Hello Jonesy!

I just received the third jacket today. It seems a little closer to the original, even the leather grain is smoother now, maybe it's a different kind of leather? The collar is still too high, it's even higher then the previous 2 jackets!! It measures about 10 cm now (3,90 inches) even If I was very specific about that because I wanted it to be about 2,30/ 2,40 inches high...! It even lacks of double stiching around the whole collar's lenght. I can't believe it. :facepalm As you can see no epaulettes or chest/arm pockets because I decided to ask a tailor to do those things. Let me know what you think...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/sigononce/SAM_0107.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/sigononce/SAM_0108.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/sigononce/SAM_0109.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/sigononce/SAM_0110.jpg

Then they wonder why people doubt about Wested involvement in the movie costume business.
They were the actual manufacturers for the first three movies (I got confirmation of this from someone who actually worked on the costumes for the films) but they probably didn't dig out any original template for this replica, they're just reproducing them as any other jacket-maker would do, by having a look at pictures (and not even too well), the base is still an Indiana Jones jacket, clearly.

The pity is that some details on the film jacket are so typically Wested that probably other companies will never get them right. However, I always hope for a good-priced replica from some fan who's crazy for accuracy.

Is that the correct style for the back? I could have sworn it was just the rounded shoulder pleats, with no vertical pleats or that belt. There's a shot when Ripley wakes up under the bed when the alien has been set free, she runs to the door and in the blu-ray the back of the jacket is lit just barely well enough to see a little detail. I didn't see any of that stuff.

Hi, here are some pictures, I noticed that Miss Weaver's jacket has padded shoulders, am I right?:

Ripleyjacket39.jpg

Ripleyjacket37.jpg

Ripleyjacket35.jpg

Ripleyjacket34.jpg

Ripleyjacket33.jpg

Ripleyjacket32.jpg

Aliens002.jpg

Aliens001.jpg

This is disappointing. I was really hoping they could do it justice, although I'm not surprised given my past experiences with Wested. It's hard to see the details in the movie, can anybody post some good pictures of the screen worn jacket? I might have a go at making my own.

I watched that scene about 50/60 times in blu-ray but I can't make a screen grab unfortunately. Here are some standard dvd grabs, I hope I can help you...

Aliens007.jpg

Ripleyjacket20.jpg

Is that the correct style for the back? I could have sworn it was just the rounded shoulder pleats, with no vertical pleats or that belt. There's a shot when Ripley wakes up under the bed when the alien has been set free, she runs to the door and in the blu-ray the back of the jacket is lit just barely well enough to see a little detail. I didn't see any of that stuff.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, and especially with all those great shots!

So I ended up buying a pair of Reebok 6600 shoes on ebay, they're still available in a few sizes now. The soles are basically correct, but I'll have to remake the uppers using the originals as a pattern, with modifications of course. I've also just now bought a jacket on ebay that is basically perfect, just the patch pockets are a bit larger than hers and of course it doesn't have the sleeve and breast pockets. The epaulettes, hand warmers, and back are all a really good match.

70's Men's Vintage Authentic Leather Bomber Jacket! No Reserve! | eBay

What do you think? I may replace all the ribbing down the line, as it looks a bit flimsy. Not the hardest fix in the world, though. I'll probably take care of that when I open it up to add the extra pockets. I agree that Weaver's jacket appeared to have shoulder pads, and I think this one might as well.

Hi all, I'm new here.
I have had some experiences with Wested. For several years I have ordered several jackets from them and I must say that I have detailed specifications that they don't always do. Don't know why .... But a few weeks ago I received from them a Rocketeer jacket in which they specify the height of the jacket and I adding the straps on the cuffs, sending them photos of all the details. And the jacket was correct unless I get cuffs. I send an email telling them that did not add this, since in the mail I had received of them told me that there was no problem, and they could do this for me. Wested response, we do not do the jacket with straps on the cuffs.

Hello Jonesy!

I just received the third jacket today. It seems a little closer to the original, even the leather grain is smoother now, maybe it's a different kind of leather? The collar is still too high, it's even higher then the previous 2 jackets!! It measures about 10 cm now (3,90 inches) even If I was very specific about that because I wanted it to be about 2,30/ 2,40 inches high...! It even lacks of double stiching around the whole collar's lenght. I can't believe it. :facepalm As you can see no epaulettes or chest/arm pockets because I decided to ask a tailor to do those things. Let me know what you think...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/sigononce/SAM_0107.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/sigononce/SAM_0108.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/sigononce/SAM_0109.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/sigononce/SAM_0110.jpg

They forgot the epaulettes? And the extra pockets. Oh come on! :facepalm
For the rest, this is probably the most screen accurate Aliens jacket I've seen coming out of Wested.
So is this their new standard or what?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back