West Wing screen used props

Walter

Master Member
So does anyone have a source for screen used props from the West Wing? I am sure some of the props will be absorbed by the studio to be used on a WH type set at some point, but I am sure they would be getting rid of some things from the West Wing.

Anyone have a source? PM me, email me, post.

Many thanks,

Bryan

I know this is a 'necro post' but I couldn't find another thread about this show that is more current.
While I'm no fan of the politics in the series (I'm a right wing, ex-military competitive shooter), I feel it's one of the smartest shows ever written and every 2-3 years my wife and I will pull the box set out and watch it from start to finish (we're on season 3 right now, on our third pass through it since it came out).
I assume that much of the stuff was studio rented because I have sene next to nothing in any collection from the show...
Yeah, I too would love to get my hands on some screen-used stuff from the show.

Reealy old post, but who knows, might interest folks. I've got a few WW props including a presidential podium seal, a photo of Sheen as the President from Toby's office and 2 campaign pins. I'm always on a quest for more - one of my favorite shows of all time. Anyone out there collect Presidential props in general?

west_wing_seal.jpg

west_wing_photo.jpg

west_wing_pins.jpg

Anyone out there collect Presidential props in general?
I had some stuff from the "Air Force One" movie but sold it a while back. I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time on active duty when the Air Force one maintenance crew came through and asked for us to used a loader we had put help put a replacement engine AF1 onto a USAF C-17. I was Army (a 1LT) at the time and my soldiers were on an Army field doing something else, they'd landed there because the USAF base next to our post had issues with the runway. So, we all got Air Force One challenge coins for that, I still have it to this day (one of the few such coins I kept when I left the military). That's all i have now.
Somewhere out there is a photo of myself and the first President George Bush. Famous last words, "I'll get you a copy of this as soon as we get back..." :cry I never even got to see what the photo looked like.

I was very lucky to get to wander around The West Wing set while working at Warner Brothers. The prop and set dressing detail was absolutely amazing.

One of my favorite props that have is a notebook from An American President. It has copies of ACTUAL daily presidential notes used by President Bush. There are pages transportation and building maps, seating plans, Air Force One floor plans, bios of people he was meeting that day, etc. Amazing.

The WW set at Warner's is considered the Oval Office set and has been used in many productions. It was built for DAVE in the early 90s and during the WW years kept growing.

WB had a small sale a year and a half ago and I bought this hoping (actually I was darn sure) to find it in an episode possibly when the President visits the Capital or in one of the halls of the West Wing:

WWBust.png

But he was not used there. However, he is in the WH in MY FELLOW AMERICANS with Jack Lemmon and James Garner in a corridor near the residence.

rick

Last edited:
I was very lucky to get to wander around The West Wing set while working at Warner Brothers. The prop and set dressing detail was absolutely amazing.
The season 2 special features disk on the series box set has a nice tour of the entire set with several of the people responsible for the design. It's really neat to watch in that you see it is in fact and entire one-piece set (which isn't that common). The Oval Office was the same used in "The American President" and they mentioned it had been removed from the previous lot with a chain saw and how many changes they'd made to it.
I know some studios have 'generic' sets (diners, living rooms, places you'd need all the time) permanently around for productions where they don't need to build an entire set or don't have the time/money to start fresh. You'd assume a Oval Office set would be something like this as it's probably the most recognized single room on Earth and often shows up in movies.
I've never been able to find out for sure where the WW's Oval office set originally came from and I assume it's still being used somewhere in some form.
That said, is it the same set being used right now for the show "1600 Penn"?

From the IMDB:

The Oval Office set originally designed by Michael J. Taylor, was constructed for Dave and then subsequently used for The American President, which was also written by Aaron Sorkin and included Martin Sheen, Joshua Malina and Anna Deavere Smith in its cast. It was also used during the filming of Contact, when the carpet, made by the original company, had to be replaced for $28,000.

I know that the movie, "Traffic" had the Oval office scenes filmed there in the middle of WW filming, they had to work around the show's filming schedule to get that done.
I can only assume it still exists today and I wouldn't shocked at all to find it's being used right now for "1600 Penn"...

Very close to the real thing as well.

I used to love watching the show especially after coming from a visit from the real Oval Office

The WW set at Warner's is considered the Oval Office set and has been used in many productions. It was built for DAVE in the early 90s and during the WW years kept growing.

Glenn Beck has built a new studio in Texas. Part of the studio has an Oval Office set used in the movie "JFK". I caught a video online where he gives a tour and shows it off.

I know it isn't that good of a photo but I snapped this last month during the Warner Bros. Studio Tour. Our guide said these were all used while filming The West Wing.
IMG_4004.JPG

I wonder if most of that stuff was rented? You just never see much WW show stuff turn up for sale...

It was co owned and shot at Warner Brothers. Logic dictates, that since it was shot on an existing set using in house pieces, and that that set is still in use in a much expanded form, the pieces are still there.

I do know that in the sale where they sold the Woodrow Wilson bust I show above, they had a Marley horse bronze statue that was on the fireplace mantle in the Oval Office for the run of the show. It was also in other films for decades.

Bonhams - A French patinated bronze model of the Marly horse after a model by Guillaume Coustou .pngCast03_with_Gore.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back