Well, this pisses me off.

Originally posted by DarthBish@Apr 12 2006, 08:29 AM
Honestly, Im not being a stirrer here...just playing a devil's advocate..

I suppose I just can't understand how someone can "steal" something that's in the public domain already

Let me try to explain.....Say for example you made zillions o free photocopies of directions to make something, and then left them on a table at a con with a big sign saying "Free to all".
Someone takes a copy, makes more copies of their own and then does the same thing at another con.

Is this stealing??
[snapback]1224963[/snapback]​
There are two separate issues here.

1) Just because something is on the internet does not mean that it is yours and that you can do anything you want with it.

It's because of the perceived anonymity and worldwide scope of the internet that people feel that they can do anything they want with it. There is tons of copyrighted material on the internet and just because you can access it doesn't make it legal for you to do anything you want with it. "Illegal" stuff goes on all the time on the internet, catching and prosecuting is the problem and for most people/companies, it's a question of effort vs. damage vs. outcome as to whether or not any action is taken.

2) Bandwidth theft. Although there are no laws on the books (that I know of) dealing with this issue, it is clearly wrong. A good analogy would be if I was able to use your cell phone connection from my cell phone, every time I get an incoming call you are charged for the minutes.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should (silly concept these days, granted).

The "right" thing for this individual to have done would have been to give credit to the original creator and provide a link to his web site. (EDIT: just like what adamata posted)

The "right" thing for this individual to have done would have been to give credit to the original creator and provide a link to his web site. (EDIT: just like what adamata posted)
IF the original owner gives his permission.

I had some trouble a few years ago with a guy in Europe who took most of my website and made his own similar site with translations in his native language. When I asked him to remove the images he thought that it was okay because he left my 'H' ID stamps on them and had a link to my site.

When I explained that copyright was retained by the creator of a piece of work this fell on deaf ears and he continued to argue that he should be allowed to keep them on his site. I explained that the potential damage that can be caused lies in that if someone had seen his website first, *then* sees my site they may think that I stole the images from him and not the other way round. That's one potential problem that can occur.

Harry

Originally posted by Harry Harris@Apr 12 2006, 05:36 PM
IF the original owner gives his permission.

I had some trouble a few years ago with a guy in Europe who took most of my website and made his own similar site with translations in his native language. When I asked him to remove the images he thought that it was okay because he left my 'H' ID stamps on them and had a link to my site.

When I explained that copyright was retained by the creator of a piece of work this fell on deaf ears and he continued to argue that he should be allowed to keep them on his site. I explained that the potential damage that can be caused lies in that if someone had seen his website first, *then* sees my site they may think that I stole the images from him and not the other way round. That's one potential problem that can occur.

Harry
[snapback]1225281[/snapback]​
I agree, he was using your images on his site, I was referring to a simple text link on one persons web site pointing to another.

Like this:

Here is a link to a web site that has a great tutorial: http://www.somewebsite.com/

That is the correct way to do it, with of course the proviso that if the owner of the site that you are linking to asks you to remove the link you do so.

Originally posted by Darthvaderfan@Apr 13 2006, 12:14 AM
Hey they froze the guys account due to violation of terms and conditions. WOOHOO
Chris
[snapback]1225332[/snapback]​

Nice to see a little justice on the web once in awhile. :thumbsup

Originally posted by adamata@Apr 11 2006, 10:45 PM
I also sent email to the abuse dept at freewebs.  Hopefully I will get a response soon.
ACCOUNT FROZEN
ACCESS DENIED

I'd say you got a response, all right. :)

Well done, Tony, Jimbo, Chris, and everyone else who helped to get this guy shut down. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your support guys.

Another example of this community coming together to help each other.

I did kinda want to see Ponch show up though. :D

Originally posted by Jimbo890@Apr 11 2006, 04:39 PM
I created a .htaccess file using a .txt editor and did this:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^http://www.freewebs.com/ [NC]
RewriteRule .* - [F]

Saved it in my htdocs directory and that pretty much nuked the pics he is using of mine. Still has my html type but the remote pic linking is down for now. I suggest everyone do at least this much. This should alloy all but said punk's domain to link.
[snapback]1224413[/snapback]​
Go one better. Do a redirect so calls originating from that site / domain go to a custom image with something like 'This dillweed is stealing my work AND my imagery'

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back