well guys, i know it ain't narin but...

hellonearth

well here it is, try to go easy on me, this is the first time i've ever sculpted anything since grade school art class (20 years ago), and even then i never took it all the way... but this is my first predator bust, it's almost exactly 1/6th scale,

first, some progress pics.

PC250364.jpg

PC250371.jpg

PC250373.jpg

PC250379.jpg

PC250386.jpg

and here it is finished and fired...

PC260391.jpg

PC260392.jpg

PC260395.jpg

this young blood doesn't have any dread beads (i didn't even wanna try to tackle those) but like i said, i know it isn't narin, and it won't be painted like dunaway, but you can only look at all the talent swarming around this forum for so long before you decide to see what you have to offer (IMO) this was made out of just about the worst clay there is, with just about the most amateur tools the world has to offer, but i did what i could (purely from memory, or "imagination" which even that i didn't try to take it too far my first time) and for some reason i couldn't stop till it was at least worth painting. anyway,

criticism is encouraged, but please make it "constructive." i really have no idea what i'm doing, and i'm sure it shows, but please give any HELPFUL hints you have to offer for my next excursion :D ( i kinda saw a small glimmer of hope when i got done:) i'll certainly update this when i've painted it which i'm gonna start on right now, but thanks for lookin' guys! tell me what you think.

PC250364.jpg

PC250371.jpg

PC250373.jpg

PC250379.jpg

PC250386.jpg

PC260391.jpg

PC260392.jpg

PC260395.jpg

Wow, you and I are at the same spot lol. I just started my first attempt at a sculpt myself (like you, it's my first time since high school). I think it looks really good man, you did a good job of smoothing it all out and eliminating rough textures. I like it :D What kind of clay did you use? I bought 8 lbs of Original Sculpey and am adding small amounts with Extra Firm Sculpey. I hope that mine turns out as good as yours.

No, it isn't Narin, but nobody sculpts like him. If this is purely from memory then imagine what you could achieve with decent reference pictures. Good idea starting out small as you can practice without a large outlay, and if you've ever seen Narin work, he mainly uses his fingers. Amazing the difference adding dreds makes to the piece.
Great effort for a first attempt and painting it will lift to another level. Well done.

well thank you sirs! out of the 67 people that have already looked at this, at least a few of you were kind enough to comment and lend a hint or two anyhow, ya it was actually just some "polyclay" that i found in one of my wifes art drawers. she didn't tell me till i was firing it that polyclay has a tendency to crack! course she thought i was using sculpy at first. but yes the reason i even attempted this was because of the post that showed a little 2 minute narin tutorial that showed him balling up some aluminum foil to start, and i thought "dammit, im gonna try somethin" so that first pic of a column with a head on it, the column is mostly foil in the middle.

i already had so much respect for all the amazing sculptors on this forum, but now i have ten times as much respect for you guys! that **** (sculpting) is a pain in the ass! i know there is much better clay out there, and i plan to get some for next time, ( the paper clay, if i can find some at "hobby lobby", or just strait up hunt down some "homespun" :D but i just wonder if the big man melts his finger prints off once a week, or what? cause i can't imagine trying to smooth out all the textures on something with so many surfaces! actually i decided to put on some latex gloves half way through and it seemed to help a lot, it would still kinda pic up prints if you pressed real hard, but for the most part it eliminated the problem.

but moloch, what's the difference with paper clay? does it just hold shape better? cause the ****** **** i used was almost rubbery, and hard to shape cause it would pretty much go back to where it was if you tried to slightly move somethin?

and jaded, good luck on your project too buddy! i hope you are at least pleased enough to post some pics when you're done thats a good idea about the two different firmness's of clay, i guess thats why when you see some raw sculpts, and theres different colors of clay, is that what that is?

anyway guys, thank you! i know i've got a while before im even close to catching up with some of you, but that only lights the fire under my ass, and hopefully one day i could have a bio or two to present to you guys for your outstanding pred suits... but i'm not trying to get ahead of myself just yet

i'll update this topic when i get him painted, thanks again for looking, whether you've commented or not

I think it looks great man!
I can't offer any hints or help as I've never sculpted anything. But I can tell you not to stop :D

p.s. I really wnana try and duplicate that shoulder bell for my suit!!

well thank you sirs! out of the 67 people that have already looked at this, at least a few of you were kind enough to comment and lend a hint or two :D
Well I didn't comment earlier because I didn't have anything negative to say .

I like the choices you made regarding pose and where you stopped at the pecks and the shoulders then still made the whole chest piece without truncating it to fit. The dreads fall naturally and look good too.

It makes me think it would be a great stein with a flip top bio . All in all, I too think you should be very proud of this sculpt. If you can do this well with polyclay, just think how well you'll do when you have a material that your more comfortable with!

Looks solid to me. This could be like one of those Victorian Era Marble busts in some European Museum
Keep up the good work

Looks solid to me. This could be like one of those Victorian Era Marble busts in some European Museum
Keep up the good work

Thats the vibe I got from it too. A older weathered sculpture thats in some outdoor memorial. Nice work man. Be proud of it, it looks great. I say you keep slinging clay because I think you got some skill already. Keep going. Cheers.

wow guys, i had no idea there had been so many encouraging comments after i looked at this thread last! thank you so much, really, i know i've got a long way to go, but im very pleased to see that apparently i've got a pretty good start perhaps i wont ditch this medium after all. but again many props go to all you guys that do this kind of thing all the time, and get your stuff to look so good, because this **** ain't easy, and it's actually kindof a pain in the ass!! even for something this simple.

anyway the reason i've come back to this topic is because i've started to paint it, and i kinda was hopin' for a couple of opinions as to whether i should just paint the whole thing a metallic color and do some weathering to it, or what? i really liked URATZ's almost unintended suggestion about the Victorian marble idea, now i don't think i could pull off marble even if i wanted to but it did make me think of the whole solid bronze or silver colored look with some weathering would look nice, but i'm not sure.

as of right now i've primed, blacked, and started to put the first layer of silver on the armor, i'll post a couple pics of it in it's current state, and my question to you guys is: one solid metallic color w/ weathering? or paint it like a pred, with skin color, spot patterns, etc.? and of course all the other little details. here's the pics of the bust black with silver on the armor...

P1020364.jpg

P1020367.jpg

i would love it if i could get a few opinions from the lair, thanks guys and girls :)

P1020364.jpg

P1020367.jpg

I rather liked the white look although I did say painting it would bring it to another level. However I would like to see a weathered stone or marble look too rather than metallic. He looks more like a statue or replica rather than a "real" Predator so I don't think painting with "realistic Pred colours" is the way to go either. If you go down the overall metallic route , you will need to weather it with washes of bronzes and copper for example, to lose the shiny new look. Mind you, if you were to cast copies you could try a whole range of effects and it would be good practice at mould making and painting. Have fun.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back