Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

Gimpdiggity

Master Member

Has anybody watched this?

I thought it was HILARIOUS. I laughed more at this than I have at any movie in quite some time. It’s completely and utterly ridiculous, and it’s an absolute gem of a parody of biopics. It’s exactly what I would have envisioned Weird Al doing.

And wow, the cast…it’s pretty impressive.

Daniel Radcliffe, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Rainn Wilson, Jack Black, Conan O’Brien, Evan Rachel Wood, Will Forte, Patton Oswalt, Weird Al himself…and those are just the ones right off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I thought the stand out was emo Philips as Salvatore Dali, he should get to do a full bio of Dali just based on this. Didn’t even recognize him at first!

Like all previous Weird Al movies, I bet it premieres opposite some of the biggest movies of the decade. UHF probably holds some sort of record for airing in the midst of the most box office smashers ever.

Like all previous Weird Al movies, I bet it premieres opposite some of the biggest movies of the decade. UHF probably holds some sort of record for airing in the midst of the most box office smashers ever.

It premiered on Roku last week. Before that it had some showings at festivals and a few invite only screenings.

I watched it last Friday and thought it was great. Hysterically laughing through most of it. And yeah the pool party scene was a major highlight with all the cameos.

I had to look it up after posting. I LOVED UHF by the way, incredibly underrated movie.

Released July 1989.

A few other movies in theaters at that time:

Batman
Lethal Weapon 2
Honey I shrunk the kids
Ghostbusters 2
Indiana Jones and the last Crusade
When Harry Meet Sally
Weekend at Bernie’s

It premiered on Roku last week. Before that it had some showings at festivals and a few invite only screenings.

I watched it last Friday and thought it was great. Hysterically laughing through most of it. And yeah the pool party scene was a major highlight with all the cameos.
I didn’t realize it was already out. Gonna check it out.

Started watching it. Was a bit bored. I suppose I could give it another chance.
Maybe I had gone in with too high expectations.

This ended up being a bit different than I expected. I know it was an over exaggerated version of his life.....but I realize I only know a few basic things of the real deal....but something weren't just over exaggerated, but totally completely different.
I enjoyed it, but I actually think too much focused on Madonna. I do not know much of their history together, but its obviously nothing like the movie shows.
The ending was very unexpected, and really, I would have liked it to go farther than that....
I would give it 3 out of 5 stars.
All in all, I still like UHF better, which I rewatched last week.

This ended up being a bit different than I expected. I know it was an over exaggerated version of his life.....but I realize I only know a few basic things of the real deal....but something weren't just over exaggerated, but totally completely different.
I enjoyed it, but I actually think too much focused on Madonna. I do not know much of their history together, but its obviously nothing like the movie shows.
The ending was very unexpected, and really, I would have liked it to go farther than that....
I would give it 3 out of 5 stars.
All in all, I still like UHF better, which I rewatched last week.

This was entirely a parody.

Basically all of it is untrue, or at best very, very, very embellished.

Weird Al and Madonna never dated. They weren’t even friends. In fact, per Al Yankovic himself they’ve only ever even met one time.

This article covers the couple of things from the film that are actually based in truth…but you’ll see that very few aspects are accurately represented in the film.

This was entirely a parody.

Basically all of it is untrue, or at best very, very, very embellished.

Weird Al and Madonna never dated. They weren’t even friends. In fact, per Al Yankovic himself they’ve only ever even met one time.

This article covers the couple of things from the film that are actually based in truth…but you’ll see that very few aspects are accurately represented in the film.

Of course I knew while watching things were pretty much all made up, but going into it, wasn't sure how much was vs not.
I think I would have liked to it follow his real life career a little closer, but still with his wacky sense of humor.
I didn't think they had dated for real, but I also wasn't sure how well they knew each other either.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back