Weird question

Cuddlebug

Hi all! I'm new here :). My question isn't about cosplay (and I'm not sure what forum was best to post this in), but several people reccommended asking you all about unusual projects. Since early the pandemic I've been living alone and missing people, so I've been designing and building helmets for safer hugs/cuddles.

I'm currently attempting to build an airtight helmet with long air tubes that will let me (more) safely go into a friend's house (with the air tubes sticking out the window). I've figured out the tubing and air pump system (CPAP machine) and the neck seal (SCUBA drysuit neck seal), but am having a hard time making the airtight helmet itself. I don't want to use anything potentially toxic (like vinyl or PVC), and polyethylene is hard to work with since glues/sealants don't really stick to it. My current attempt used polyethylene sheeting, a piece of face shield, and a lot of glue/tape/sealant. But it's super hard to seal all the leaks and I'm not sure I'd trust it to be airtight even if I can't find any leaks, so I want to start over.

I'm looking for a material (or combination of materials that are all non-toxic and airtight, and either transparent or can be easily glued and sealed to a transparent material for the front. Bonus points if it's comfortable and not crinkly. I also don't want it to be all rigid or thick (a large hard helmet gets in the way and I want to able to talk to people through it).

I've love any thoughts you all have or ideas on who else to ask about this.

Thanks!

Yosef

Attachments

• WIN_20210202_19_07_47_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210202_19_07_47_Pro.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 75
From my visit to a class 100 cleanroom, It's not airtight, there is a vent fan filtering exhaled air through a HEPA filter. Somewhat the opposite idea, protecting the environment from humans but maybe give some ideas.
To tie it into props it's the same thing you see the people wearing in The Postal Service "Such Great Heights" music video.

Attachments

• profile.jpg
    profile.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 63
From my visit to a class 100 cleanroom, It's not airtight, there is a vent fan filtering exhaled air through a HEPA filter. Somewhat the opposite idea, protecting the environment from humans but maybe give some ideas.
To tie it into props it's the same thing you see the people wearing in The Postal Service "Such Great Heights" music video.
Do you know what that's called? If I can find it online I might be able to learn the materials/design, or if it's not to expensive I could buy and modify it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back