Weird ESB Observation/Question: Luke's DL-44

James Kenobi 1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm getting interested in the ESB DL-44 that Luke Skywalker uses in the movie.

As a kid growing up Luke was always my hero and he was the real star of the original trilogy. If I were to make a blaster, any blaster, it would have to be Luke's blaster.

I mean, Han Solo is cool and all, but he's not a Jedi with a lightsaber, and the Force, and Darth Vader for a dad. Even the ESB Luke DL-44 is way cooler than the Han Solo ANH blaster.

Right?

Then I got to thinking.

Does Luke ever even actually use his DL-44? Is there film evidence of Luke firing his blaster?

He pulls if from the holster when R2 is pulled under the swamp on Dagobah, and again when he turns to see Yoda. He unholsters the blaster again on Bespin walking the halls, but even when Boba Fett starts shooting at him Luke does not return fire even once.

Did Luke's blaster even work? Or an I forgetting a scene where we see him use the gun?

I honestly can't think of one. He pulls it a few times, but never shoots.

Come to think of it, with the exception of the Death Star rescue when he used an E-11...I don't actually recall Luke EVER using a blaster. (Not counting vehicle-mounted cannons, mind you.)

I always thought it was malfunctioned after swimming in the swamp and actually tried to shoot to save R2, but this thought was made when I was like 6 LOL. I think he didnt wanna shoot in Bespin because he didnt have a clear shot and didnt wanna accidentally hit Leia. Solo4114, in ROTJ he used the blaster pistol in attempt to kill Jabba just before facing the rancor

I always thought it was malfunctioned after swimming in the swamp and actually tried to shoot to save R2, but this thought was made when I was like 6 LOL. I think he didnt wanna shoot in Bespin because he didnt have a clear shot and didnt wanna accidentally hit Leia. Solo4114, in ROTJ he used the blaster pistol in attempt to kill Jabba just before facing the rancor

Ah, but as I recall, he didn't get off a shot, did he? It's been a while since I watched ROTJ, admittedly.

Hell, they probably edited it so that he didn't shoot because Lucas thought Jedi would never shoot a gun or something. :lol

Ah, but as I recall, he didn't get off a shot, did he? It's been a while since I watched ROTJ, admittedly.

Hell, they probably edited it so that he didn't shoot because Lucas thought Jedi would never shoot a gun or something. :lol

He did fire, but after the gammorean grabbed his arm, so it hit the ceiling.

I always thought it was malfunctioned after swimming in the swamp and actually tried to shoot to save R2

... and then again when he felt being watched:

Now, let's find Yoda.jpg
(Found in the funny images thread a couple of days ago)

Good he never fired a shot in Empire! LOL

Nope... he never fired a shot in ESB and in Jedi, it wasn't his blaster that he tried to shoot Jabba with... it was one of the guard's guns that he Force-grabbed from the guard's holster. He went to see Jabba unarmed.

And yes, he did manage to fire a shot off but his aim was spoiled by the guard that fell into the Rancor pit with him...

Luke fired a shot in the garbage compactor, but we didn't see it.

"Will you forget it, I already tried, it's magnetically sealed!"

But that was also with the E-11. I don't think he actually had a blaster in Star Wars until the ending. He grabbed his rifle when he was warned of the Sand People by R2 but I don't recall him having a blaster before he was in the Storm Trooper armor.

I also noticed when Luke is hanging in the Wampa cave, he's got a holster but no blaster. I guess it could have fallen out when he was knocked off his Taun-Taun, but that just seems convenient.

Mind blown.

How did I never see this for 30 years.

Do you see it?

54409379394136-vi.jpg

54409379394712-vi.jpg

This was on the Blu-ray, I first thought they added it in digitally. But I checked both the 2006 DVD and the 'original' version on the bonus disc and it was there. All these years I thought Luke clipped it back on his belt just before he flew out the window.

Lucky break it landed right there on the outside platform.

I also noticed the flash hider is different on the blaster he uses on Dagobah and the one on Bespin.

The Dagobah one is mostly silver with some weathering. The Bespin flash hider is mostly black all over.

His has fewer greeblies on the lefthand side. At least, that was the general knowledge before it was discovered the props were used interchangeably, so I think now the thinking is there really isn't a "Han" or a "Luke" blaster, just differences in specific props used by either character meant to represent the same make of weapon.

Mind blown.

How did I never see this for 30 years.

Do you see it?

http://images18.fotki.com/v60/photos/9/976173/4001324/54409379394712-vi.jpg

This was on the Blu-ray, I first thought they added it in digitally. But I checked both the 2006 DVD and the 'original' version on the bonus disc and it was there. All these years I thought Luke clipped it back on his belt just before he flew out the window.

Lucky break it landed right there on the outside platform.

Wasn't there some EU material on how Vader and the Emperor retrieved Luke's saber?

Last edited:
This might be an ESB side related observation, but Luke doesn't say a 'spoken word' to Leia until he's on board the Falcon after his ordeal with Vader.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back