Question Website loading problem

SithLord

Sr Member
I've noticed in the past two days that when I try to send or reply to a PM, it takes an inordinate amount of time for the site to respond. I also just noticed that the site itself wouldn't load for around a minute even when I opened new tabs with the site link (during the time that I was trying to send a PM). I have no other problems with my browser or computer, just with this site. In case anyone else has noticed this I thought I would post it. It could be just a bandwidth issue or something else.

Thanks.

Edit....even posting this thread, there was a significant delay, like around 5 seconds or so before it showed up. Usually it is instantaneous. When I am waiting, the little circular spinning icon typical of Apple computers will spin, but it also flashes, which is what made me concerned since I never see it flashing, only spinning if there is any kind of delay in a process.

Similar experience here also, today I had a particular recurring problem with the Junkyard loading. I've disabled certain ads from loading and things have improved. RPF is one of the few sites I'll allow ads so I hope any glitches that might be occurring get smoothed out.

Thanks for letting us know. We are looking into it and will let you know when we have more info. If you continue to experience slowdowns, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Similar experience here also, today I had a particular recurring problem with the Junkyard loading. I've disabled certain ads from loading and things have improved. RPF is one of the few sites I'll allow ads so I hope any glitches that might be occurring get smoothed out.

It's the Sideshow ads. Not all of them, but certain ones. Running Safari, I've had to wait up to 40 seconds for them to load. For some reason, it freezes up the rest of the items loading until the Sideshow banner loads. I've not experienced this problem since I installed AdBlock.

I've also had this problem with Sideshow banners on sites that I run. (I'm a Sideshow Affiliate, too.) I've actually had to disable certain banners from their campaigns because of the increased load time and customers complaining about my site's speed.

There appears to be more then banner load time issues, there seems to be a significant SQL database access delay, I did a few searches today and the server plain out stalled for a significant amount of time before serving up the results...

I have to agree with Flynn. I've set it so that the banner ads don't show and the pages still load slower than a snail crawling through cold molasses.

Just made a post and the server stalled in excess of 15 seconds before it redirected back to the thread... So IMO there are some serious back end latency issues with the server...

I know the forum is not on the 4.x.x version yet but it might be a good idea for the staff to find a program like this

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=240905

for this version of vBulletin that will allow you to better get a grasp of the latency issues...

There is probably one easily available on the vBulletin forums, but without a valid license I can't easily browse and search those forums to suggest one up...

Last edited:
It's about 12:30AM CST and I noticed the site creeping along, so I did a test of http://www.therpf.com/index.php at the website below...

http://www.websitepulse.com/help/testtools.website-test.html

Response Time: 13.683 sec
DNS: 0.001 sec
Connect: 0.047 sec
Redirect: 0.000 sec
First byte: 13.492 sec
Last byte: 0.143 sec
Size: 29376 bytes

Yikes connected in 0.047 seconds but then the sever stalled, taking almost a 14 seconds to serve up the first byte of the page, but then served the rest of the page in 0.143 seconds, IMO that is clearly a SQL puking indication...

I tried doing a test of the 'search' feature but it's hard to inject the url off site, so I just did a manual timed search for 'vader' and it took about 30 seconds to render the search results...

** Edit took about 10 seconds for the website to accept this post after clicking submit...

Flynn,

We have an older version of the suggested plugin installed called Microstats... and we also have a new ticket logged with our provider, including the info you posted (thanks for making it available). It seems we have been having on again / off again issues since the server move. Hopefully they can get it straightened out.

PMs loading/sending slowly and timing out

Anyone else having a hard time with messaging?

I'm having slow sends and keep timing out. I have to keep resending.

-Rylo

Re: PMs loading/sending slowly and timing out

mate im only new and ive sent 2 PMs in regards to buying items in the junkyard since i cant post in there yet, but when i go into sent messages.. it says ive sent nothing and ive had nil replies..

Seems to be improved with the additional CPU but I'm still experiencing the random delay hear and there, that I suspect has less to do with the CPU and more to do with some sort of software issue... IMO I really think there is a software issue with the SQL implementation... Possibly a version conflict mismatch with other server side software or what not, can't really say as it's not really my specialty but I have experience several software conflicts over the years that have resulted in similar types of pukes on servers...

Seems to be improved with the additional CPU but I'm still experiencing the random delay hear and there, that I suspect has less to do with the CPU and more to do with some sort of software issue... IMO I really think there is a software issue with the SQL implementation... Possibly a version conflict mismatch with other server side software or what not, can't really say as it's not really my specialty but I have experience several software conflicts over the years that have resulted in similar types of pukes on servers...

Flynn, I am with you on this one. We are still having out provider look into it. I think you assessment is spot on. The additional CPU did make things better/faster but there still appears to be some underlying problem and I too believe it has to do with SQL, either on the new server or due to the move itself.

I was tinkering around the other night and found a way to get the server to puke pretty well most of the time...

To get a puke do an advanced search on the forums and choose a common random word, not a character or what not just a normal word used in conversations, I can't suggest any words because I believe the server caches previous searches so you won't be getting a fresh search if someone just recently did the same search...

Example last night I did a search for 'alright' the server took nearly a minute to respond after I hit submit, the browser just froze while waiting for the server to respond... Maybe it can be useful in tracking down what is stalling...

Art I suspect you did the normal database clean ups in the forums admin panel? I doubt that is the problem but it can't hurt...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back