Weathering?

vintageslant

Hello RPF, long time no see and that's on me not you guys ;) I have a question if you don't mind! I have enjoyed videos on you tube of props being made. I love the painting and finish that turns plastic foam paper etc into something other that what it is.
My question is this. If I was to make a lightsaber lets say would I be alone in the idea that it doesn't need to be weathered? There is no evidence the Luke dragged his brand new built saber through the desert to make it look aged? Is there anything wrong in making a piece and that's it a brand new thing and accepting that all aging of it will follow from that moment forth? Now please don't think I am decrying the process I have been amazed at how it can transform a prop and the skills shown are truly inspiring. I'm just asking for your informed opinions please. TIA

IMHO...

HERO props (ie: not weathered).... is much more of a skill than a weathered version.

(to me) Weathered means you dont really have to care much while building.. as any marks/scuffs/dings.. will just be accepted as the end 'weathering'..

Keeping this pristine and in perfect condition is much more difficult to achieve.

That being said.. there is no right or wrong. It's whatever YOU want in the end. :)

Build it any way you like, it's yours to enjoy. If you post it here, more people will just be glad to see what project you're working on. Even if there are critiques or tips, they are offered in the spirit of conversation.

You're presuming one who intends to distress a prop will do subpar work on their way to completion because they're going to cover it up anyway. Sure, there are slackers out there....

BUT, A good machinist wouldn't compromise the quality of their work for the sake of weathering. A good builder puts as much work into their initial build as their finish work. Truly weathering a given prop is an art in and of itself. It's actually a very difficult thing to take a machined prop you've labored over and then age it down.

We're really talking about the difference between amateurs and professionals, here. Yes, some guys will half-ass a gig. No doubt about it, but make no mistake; weathering is an art.

-Rylo

quote:

IMHO...

HERO props (ie: not weathered).... is much more of a skill than a weathered version.

(to me) Weathered means you dont really have to care much while building.. as any marks/scuffs/dings.. will just be accepted as the end 'weathering'..

Keeping this pristine and in perfect condition is much more difficult to achieve.

That being said.. there is no right or wrong. It's whatever YOU want in the end. :)

Build it any way you like, it's yours to enjoy. If you post it here, more people will just be glad to see what project you're working on. Even if there are critiques or tips, they are offered in the spirit of conversation.
Oh I built mine a long time ago in a former life it now seems. I had great fun with it and just built it from scavenged parts it's absolute trash compared to so many I have seen on here but we don't all have the same talent or time and resources.

I dont think weathering is 'easy' or -not- an art.

I have weathered a few props/projects.. I understand and appreciate what it takes. (especially making it good and realistic)

Still to -me-.. making and keeping something in pristine/mint/hero condition takes more effort. (handling with gloves type of care)

Not that weathering is easy or anyone is doing sub-par anything.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back