"weathering"

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by breakpoint, Dec 14, 2011.

1. breakpoint

breakpoint Member

Hi guys,

Ive been trying to use the search tool here on the website to search for anything on how to "weather" the suits,, make it look a little used.. damaged. but no luck

atm Im working om my iron man suit, any1 know any good vids/tuts .

Thanks in advance

2. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

weathering on iron man suits is generally done with silver paint if i recall
    you brush it on the edges, with a paper towel or sponge or something similar
    that way it looks like the color is missing there

3. breakpoint

breakpoint Member

ahhh ok thx.

and do u apply like dark/black ink diluted with water or anything inside wedges ?¿

4. Stevie

Stevie New Member

I'm curious about this too. Jowe gave a brief explanation of it, but an in-depth video or thread would be great.

5. breakpoint

breakpoint Member

Crossing my fingers for Stealth´s soon to come video bout painting foam will ahve a short seg about wathering :p

If not I will use same tech as when I painted WH back in teh day.. ink with water :p

6. loly2kn2

loly2kn2 Active Member

There are many different methods but just test out a few things on scrap material to get what looks best.

I prefer to drybrush silver paint over the edges, good weathering really makes a prop or costume look real. Don't overdo it though! Only weather places that would get real life wear and tear.

7. unorthodoxdesig

unorthodoxdesig Active Member

Hey what do you guys think of this for a weathering job.. Done with a combination of a few sponges and brushes over top of some ink washes..

Mike Cameron, Industrial Designer from Toronto, Ontario

Critiques? Suggestions? I'll be doing more ink washes and some airbrushing once the thing is together to tie it all together..