Weathering nickel plated brass?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Aeon

Hey guys,

I'm not sure which section this question really falls under, but I'm hoping I'm on the right page.

I'm looking for assistance and help to weather and wear down a nickel plated, brass skeleton key. I've scoured a few guitar forums that suggested the use of acid fumes to get the corrosion and antique effect onto nickel plated items but I'm not too sure about going that route.

Is there something anyone can suggest that isn't so hazardous to weather the key?

I'm looking for a nice patina finish on there or even a cold-blued effect. I know painting the key is an option, but I would rather resort to that last since this key will see some time in moisture and water. (It's being used for a performance, so runny paint on a key would be messy!)

Thanks in advance!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

DrewSmith007

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You could try a weak acid, like lemon juice. I would think you have to use the fumes though, so it can oxidize.

EDIT: looks like vinegar fumes can work too.

Aeon

Giving it a shot right now. Let's see what happens over night.

Thanks for the tip!