ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, this is pretty straight forward. I am trying to turn this:

can.JPG

Into this:

coffee_can_2.jpgcoffee_can_1.jpg

-Ss

As people have said before, fireworks will work and also sea salt in a spray bottle filled with water. Experiment with the level of salt vs water, but for that look, I'll say salt: 80% water 20%. Amonia and salt work wonder also.

So the heat from the fireworks on the inside of the can fades the paint on the outside?

With no access to fireworks (or a place to fire them off) could I then use a heat gun?

-Ss

no thefireworks create some darker brown/black marks on it, and makes it like it has been burned a bit, i don't know what it'll do to the outside

Is it a rare item? If it isn't, then I would experiment with different solvents and a heat gun to fade the paint on the outside. If it is rare, and therefore you're only going to get one shot at it, I have nothing to recommend for fading the paint as it's not something I've done before.

I agree with Mr. Bolo, but would add that I would begin with a light sanding of the entire surface. A Harbor Freight sandblasting airbrush makes short work of this kind of job. Go slowly, either way!

This can isn't white washed, it's sun faded. You can tell by looking at the areas that are white.

I apologize if this comes across as pompous, but rusting a can is fairly straight forward. I'm more specifically looking for a way to make a painted steel can look sun-faded. :)

-Ss

Buy this one it's already half way there

MOD EDIT: Please do not post Ebay links, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i probably dont' know what i'm talking about here but could some intense UV lamps fade paint in a reasonable amount of time?

I would take 400 grit sand paper or higher and gentle sand down the color. Then use steel wool to buff it to eliminate any sand paper marks. That should lighten it up and maybe show a little steel in places. That could benefit you when you rust it. I have even had great results just by buffing the paint with steel wool and no sand paper. It really knocked back the color of the paint well.
There are many formulas online to achieve the rusting.
I have soaked the metal and left out in the humidity overnight to start the process.
I have then soaked items in amonia, salt, lemon juice and vinegar and left it outside for a couple days and it rusted anywhere that the exposed metal was touched by the mixture.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back