Wearing your lightsaber

KeArn

Team,

This is probably going to sound really strange, but I've done some looking, and I can't tell if this has been discussed...
Does anyone else have the very strong urge to just wear their lightsaber out into public while they are doing everyday stuff like getting gas, and running to Target?
I have an Anakin MR ROTS that I had converted to a Luxeon like 6 years ago, and it makes for a really cool belt hanger...I fiddle with it in my spare time, and wear it around the house occassionally...sometimes I'll even wear it to our local quarterly Transformer meetups...but I just really want to wear it all the time...make it a part of my kit...you know...car keys, wallet, cell phone, lightsaber, chapstick...
My wife (who does an amazing job of tolerating my nerdness...she even let me have our son's middle name be Anakin...) says I probably shouldn't wear it out in public because I'd just be asking for trouble...and I get that, but dang it just looks sooo right hanging off my belt.
I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way, or takes their blade out on a daily basis?
I figure I'm almost 40 years old...I have a family, and I work my ass off to pay bills, drive a nice car, and have things like custom lightsabers, so who gives a crap if I want to wear it like a freak...
Comments? Questions? Concerns?
I hope this is appropriate for this board.

This is my belt hanger:

A 2005 MR AOTC Anakin converted to a 3W Luxeon.
I re-built the activator switch (because I hated that curvy gold thing), bought a metal circuit plate for the control box from another member here, removed the rough metal band from the area around the control box ('cause I like it smoooooth), and found my own knurled blade retention screw.

Here is my son Jacob Anakin starting his Jedi training...It's just a MR EpV Luke:

Outside of a Con or movie premier? No, I personally wouldn't wear it.

I agree it's looking for trouble and depending on where you live and the laws it might be considered a weapon the same as a baton or blackjack.

I wear 'nerdy' tshirts all the time, but for me wearing a lightsaber is on the other side of the 'how much nerd am I' line. Plus after just a short time it would be as scratched-up and worn as your keys or watch.

If it was a real lightsaber that really worked like in the SW movies, I would wear it all the time. As a replica, no.

I agree it's looking for trouble and depending on where you live and the laws it might be considered a weapon the same as a baton or blackjack.

I wear 'nerdy' tshirts all the time, but for me wearing a lightsaber is on the other side of the 'how much nerd am I' line. Plus after just a short time it would be as scratched-up and worn as your keys or watch.

If it was a real lightsaber that really worked like in the SW movies, I would wear it all the time. As a replica, no.

I guess I never really thought about the laws considering it a weapon, but a very valid point...also the fact that it would get all jacked like the keys...another great point...
*sigh*
Some day though...some day...

I have friends who once in a while dress up in their full SW costumes and go shopping for groceries. The only problems ( if you can call them problems ) is they have run into people curiosity about the costumes. Other than that no problems.

Personally, if I had a replica, I would wear it in public once a week or so.
I do it with my webshooter wristbands and I get nothing but compliments.
Although, I work at a video game company, so that's probably a big factor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

it's not as weird as going grocery shopping dressed as a cat, lady gaga, optimus prime...or telulah bankhead....
so i guess you'd be ok....

Last edited:
Add a collapsible baton inside it and you can protect yourself as well ;)
1396903_batonnsmz.jpg

Hi there,

well the only time I wore a lightsaber on my belt was at star wars celebration europe 2 (see picture) since I was in almost full costume ... and boy did it feel good ... so eventhough I feel an itch once in a while I must restrain myself because it might be regarded as a weapon over here in the Netherlands by some ignorant cops ... besides hardly anyone knows what a lightsaber is ... so it has no real point to wear it whatsoever.

Just so you know ... I did not have the blade with me ... I hate waving and carrying those plastic tubes ... so I added a PS lightsaber fx in the picture above ... and wore my custom lightsaber on my belt most of the time.

Chaim

I say if Gaga Can wander around in half the outfits she does, and shows the courage to wander around sans make up.

Other than reasons of self consciousness I see no reason why not. Hardly anyone knows what a lightsabers is? are you daft? 500,000,000 fans world wide know what a lightsabers is. and any officer of the law can plainly see it is not a real weapon using advanced laser technology and the will of the force to contain the beam.

I have thought about it, however id need a robe to complete the feeling!

To each their own, but it's a little over-the-top nerdy, no? And, yeah, that nice finish will be shot to hell in a hurry.

BTW, cute kid! How old is he?

If you live somewhere where that would be considered a weapon you're about four days from being marched on to a boxcar.

But no, I would not wear a toy lightsaber in public :p

If you walked in the grocery store in regular street clothes with a 12 inch solid metal crescent wrench either in your hand or hanging from your belt you would stand a good chance if having the store manager confront you or call the cops because it's so out of place and could be used as a weapon.

Normal people carry loaded guns in their pockets and no one even knows. Crazy people walk into the library, or a bar, or the record store carrying a baseball bat.

well ... indeed most of the dutch people are daft when it comes to star wars ... and quite ignorant as well ... so yeah I'd end up having my lightsaber confiscated ... which is not worth wearing it for.

Chaim

Yeah... When I originally finished my Graflex saber (No electronics, just hilt) I thought about wearing it around outside every now and then. I have since decided that is a little too nerdy for me, and it could ask for trouble (I live on a military base, lol). I will wear it on "Star Wars Day;" Though I wish it were on May 25, none of this "May the fourth be with you" crap.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back