We are Groot

spartan1803

hey guys, long time no post! Just before Halloween my wife showed me a post on Facebook of a guy and his daughter dressed up as Rocket and Groot. I have contemplated this build before but decided to focus on my halo armor. I started the build a week ago and was really edgy about it because I couldn’t find a template and I have never started a build completely from scratch with a foam or pepakura file.

I started out by measuring my own face. I was going to start this out as a wrap but decided to make the head a two piece. I marked out the measurements from top to bottom and around my head I drew the eyes and mouth in measure with my own
1507B7F0-A629-4A35-A81A-552676B6B484.jpeg

Not trusting my drawing skills a friend of mine loaned me a projector so I could finish the face and head dress

F9F02E51-B939-48B0-9D46-45B070A84F99.jpeg

After that I added the sides and cut it out

6F9DD996-1DBE-48D0-B300-204C75C3FEEF.jpeg B3F08B73-142C-45B6-8ED9-12211558420B.jpeg

Now a huge thing about this is that when I would google cosplays people have done I noticed the masks didn’t have much shape that his face has.
That is a make or break deal for me. If I can’t get it to have facial features that Groot has then the project is a bust. I ordered a foam head to put the mask on so it will hold its shape and I have bought some craft foam to do some detail with. I think I’m going to sure some thicker foam for the nose instead of layering the craft foam. I was wondering how I was going to do the brow. I was going to add another layer but didn’t want to make rather mask too bulky then it dawned on me that I could just cut the brow line and push it in.

B3F08B73-142C-45B6-8ED9-12211558420B.jpeg 05C933B7-465F-4482-BC6C-5BC8A9D49238.jpeg 7BC3EB70-696B-4AE6-8DD7-7BA617C7FC4D.jpeg 60689C00-84FA-410E-B9EB-2F7E07868F7F.jpeg

Crazy thing, call it a sign or what have you. I was watching the movie today to get some reference pictures and right at the part where Groot sacrifices himself to save everyone, my wife told me the Stan Lee had passed. I still can’t believe it. This build have become a dedication build. I have tried to look up other threads on groot builds but haven’t had any luck. This will be a slow build due to the fact that we just had a baby!!! If you guys have any advice. I would greatly appreciate it!!!

CEF9C2B0-4538-45BD-ACA6-B5CBFAFF5368.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great so far! Keep up the good work
RIP Stan Lee

Looking good so far,Spartan!
Maybe this file may be of assistance:
Mobile - Marvel's Future Fight - Groot (Secret Wars) - The Models Resource
Groot Bust Sculpture by Doodle_Monkey

Both can be opened up and scaled in pepakura designer 4,and if you have 3d software of any kind,you can divide the model in parts and scale each part separately.

Other Groot build threads:

Search Results for Query: Groot wip | RPF Costume and Prop Maker Community

Good luck with your build!

Thank you both!!! George I’ll definitely have to check those out, headed out to work on a tractor with my father in law and it back to work tomorrow, sadly I probably won’t get work done this weekend but it’ll give me time to look those posts and files over, thanks again!!!

Got a bit of detail done tonight after cleaning my garage up and restoring my work station lol.

0414218A-9A5A-42FF-9246-B4DE42677136.jpeg

DAA6A0B8-21C6-4DB0-81BB-3EB3BDE2A890.jpeg

CE517653-F392-445E-85D9-21B17B31AB52.jpeg

8AF10555-45F3-4C11-A990-B35DC0E8B3F1.jpeg
The nose is a bit thinner then I’d like. Next I think

I’m going cut out pieces to add more definition under the eyes, example:
5E9F70C5-4CD0-4308-94EB-EF24C25F8AF7.jpeg

After that I’m going to hit the whole thing with the Dremel like I did the middle. Rough it up and give it that bark look and add lines after that. I’m trying to decide if I should sculpt more around the jaw.

hey guys, long time no post! Just before Halloween my wife showed me a post on Facebook of a guy and his daughter dressed up as Rocket and Groot.

View attachment 905411

That might have been My daughter and I she saw on Facebook as we went Viral last year with those costumes.
Anyway link to my build

Groot Costume - GOTG Vol.1 (WIP) 2017 Halloween (COMPLETE with Vid)

and feel free to hit me up with any questions- it's a very fun costume and gets great reactions

best of luck and if you have any questions feel free to message me as I check the boards at least 2-3 times a week,

That might have been My daughter and I she saw on Facebook as we went Viral last year with those costumes.
Anyway link to my build

Groot Costume - GOTG Vol.1 (WIP) 2017 Halloween (COMPLETE with Vid)

and feel free to hit me up with any questions- it's a very fun costume and gets great reactions

best of luck and if you have any questions feel free to message me as I check the boards at least 2-3 times a week,

Lol yeah that was the video, Awesome work man!
I’ll definitely have to refer back to your build! Did contact cement work on the pipe insulation?

Lol yeah that was the video, Awesome work man!
I’ll definitely have to refer back to your build! Did contact cement work on the pipe insulation?

Yes - I used barge on both the EVA and the pipe insulation-
just know you have to commit to gluing the pipe insulation cause if you try to pull it back up it just tears.- I pinned mine in place before each gluing to
make sure i was happy with the route.

also a good effect to do with the pipe insulation is with your dremel make a few grooves in it (like tree bark) and then
hit it with the heat gun to get a realistic vine/bark look - also helps change the size of the insulation since the longer you
put heat on it the more it shrinks and that really helps the look be more realistic and not just look like painted foam tubes.
Do that (After it's glued)

Sorry guys this build is on a temporary pause until after Christmas. Just watch an Odin build video on YouTube and there is this stuff called foam mo and I’m going to use it to sculpt the face!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back