WD-40 safe for removal of old gle from ABS ARMOR?

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Egon Spengler, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

I have all kinds of junk on the interior of my Stormtrooper armor. Hot glue, glue from duct tape, glue from Foamies stickems. Glue from velcro. I'm thinking of selling my stormtrooper armor and more than likely will, but I want the thing to be as clean as possible.

What can I use to really get this junk off here?

Goop Gone or whatever its called didn't do jack for me before.

2. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

Try the one called "Goof Off" (get the one in the cans, not the spray) that's the one with the solvent you want.(xylene and methelene chloride) -not to be confused with "Goo Gone" which is citric acid based. Just be very careful. Use sparingly. Too much can dissolve paint and can melt the plastic if used excessively. Test areas first. Be careful around vinyl decals. Use in a well ventilated area. Peel off any large amts of hot glue that you can first..(The stuff works great. I use it all the time..) I've also found that Simple Green works great for dirt cleanup esp if you ever want to get red stains out of wht. plastic..

Jayn

3. ShackMan

ShackMan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Have you tried plain rubbing alcohol? I used this to remove painting errors (frown and tears) on my trooper helmet ... it worked well, and didn't react with the ABS. I've used alcohol in the past to remove sticky residue from car windshiled stickers, so it seems like it should work. :)

ATM
    ShackMan

4. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

WD-40 will take it off easy...

5. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

Exactly.

6. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

WD-40 is ABSOLUTELY 100% safe when using it on ABS then? I really cannot take ANY chances.

7. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Absolutely....worst it will do is not work on some things. After removal of the desired residue I'd recommend giving the area a shot of 409/Fantastic to clean the area. And use a cloth towel as paper towels scratch ;)

Steve