Watchmen

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by astroboy, Sep 8, 2015.

1. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was a huge fan of the book and I was pretty excited when the movie came out. But then I found it kinda off putting when it came out.

Anyway, I watched it again last night and I think I have to admit that it's almost a masterpiece. I think my only criticism of the film was the use of the song hallelujah during the sex scene. It made the scene cringe-worthy.

But other than that, I'd say that he met the challenge presented to him. How amazing was that Montage at the beginning?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

SuperFLY, Trooper_trent and Nexus6 like this.
  2. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

Watchmen is one of my favorite movies. It really is amazing and I don't understand the hate it gets. The directors cut is even better.

3. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

TOTALLY amazing. One of the best opening credits scenes ever.

IMO, as far as film adaptations go, this is about as good as it could have been (especially with a graphic novel as the source). And I didn't even mind when they changed the particulars of Ozymandias' "final solution".

:thumbsup :thumbsup

MooCriket, JoMamma_Smurf and dascoyne like this.
  4. astroboy

Tha change was actually a great idea. It made so much more sense, considering the limitations they had

Nexus6 likes this.
  5. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed. :cool

6. JD

JD Master Member

One of my favorite books - not one of my favorite movies. I think it missed quite a bit - but, I think the biggest issue I have with it is the glossy, ultra-modern take Snyder took with it - which seemed to lose the charm and look that Dave Gibbons added to the book. Gibbons is a great storyteller and his style is far from glossy and ultra-modern - his artwork grounds the story... whereas, Snyder's look evokes a feeling that alienates me and just makes me feel cold and distant about this movie. While Snyder's over-the-top production style might look great to many, it also made me feel disconnected from the characters... I feel a huge part of the story is character driven, be it Dan's journey or Dr. Manhattan making the decision he does at the end of the either story and the decisions the filmmakers made just didn't have me connect nearly as much as I needed to make this movie work.

A 2-hour movie just can't give the story of Watchmen justice. Snyder was limited in what he could tell and how he could tell it. Watchmen deserved a better format - a 12-hour mini-series on AMC or HBO or something is really the only way to bring Watchmen to life.

The new ending Sndyer & Co. initially made sense to me, but, when you think about (and watch the video below) - Dr. Manhattan being an 'American' it really seems odd that peace was found so quickly. There are a ton of nitpicks any fan of the book could make, but the ending is obviously the biggest change.

This video explains a lot of why I don't care a whole lot for this movie:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    dascoyne likes this.
  7. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

"Watchmen" is #1 on my list of greatest comic-book movies ever.
    I definitely consider it a masterpiece.

justice league likes this.
  8. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

I think the movie ending worked better compared to the giant squid like thing.

Overall I liked the movie. Some things didn't live up to my expectations, but overall I enjoyed it. The director's cut was much better. And yes the opening credits was amazing.

joshvanrad likes this.
  9. astroboy

I think that if there was one thing that felt a bit "off" was that the heroes felt a lot cooler than I imagined them to be. In the comic they almost came across as parody. But in the movie, they felt like they were from the matrix

10. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I think the real issues are as follows:

- For fans of the comic, it doesn't do the comic justice. In this, I'm actually with Alan Moore. The comic generally just did not lend itself to cinematic adaptation. It works better -- for me, at least -- as static pictures. A big part of that is because so much is packed into so many of the frames, but because you're reading it, you can take it all at your own pace. A film either will overload you with too much info happening all at once, or it'll cut things. And I'm of the opinion that cutting is the bane of this particular story's adaptation. Watchmen works partially because it is so dense.

- For people who don't know the comic, it's just a long slog of a film and doesn't deliver anything like the whiz-bang awesomeness of the Marvel or X-men films, and comes across as a less action-oriented, more talky and pretentious version of The Dark Knight. That's not the attitude I have, mind you, but I can easily see how someone unfamiliar with the source material would feel this way.

And again, I think the second point relates back to the first. People feel that way because the film sort of tries to be as dense as the comic, but doesn't quite make it. But in trying, it makes the film just inaccessible enough for people who don't know the source material to just be turned off.

To be clear, I like the film. I own it, after all. Visually, it's lovely. And I do think it's about as good an adaptation of the source material as you could hope for...but for me, that's the problem. "As good as it gets" isn't good enough, and I end up just preferring the source material.

11. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

The movie wasn't the book, but I enjoy them both.

That said, I'm just going to leave this right here...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Riceball likes this.
  12. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

I think Snyder did as good a job with bringing a beast like that to the screen as anyone possibly could have. I think it's a terrific film.

My only negative is the old-age makeup. Noticeably bad considering how great the rest of it looks.

The opener is one of the best.

Eye of the beholder, folks.

13. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

I always figured Pop Will Eat Itself's Def Con One would have made it onto the soundtrack somehow considering it was about the Watchmen comic. In fact that was made me seek out the comic in the first place since I never really read them much.

Augh likes this.
  14. astroboy

Was that snl?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

15. Krull

Krull Sr Member

I liked both the comic and the movie,went to the theater to see it,to me people who don't like one or the other are just picky it is what it is and the thing I like most is the overall story and how if we really had superheros that is how it would go,also how a "real" superbeing Like Manhattan would turn things on it's ear.

I also always thought the characters in it are less DC or even Marvel like...they feel more like the old serial ones like the Shadow,the Green Hornet,the Spirit et cetera.

16. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

17. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

That's because they basically are, Alan Moore wanted to use the characters DC had recently bought from Charlton comics (the Question, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, etc) but DC wanted to retain those characters for future use so Moore did his own take on those characters.

18. MimicForge

MimicForge New Member

Ultimately, even when things went good with Laurie and Dan (unlike, say, on the couch)... I always felt it was always supposed to be cringe-worthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Feraud

Feraud Sr Member

One of the top comic book films IMHO.

20. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

comic book movie classic!

21. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this film is definitely in my top three.

worst films ever.

hellboy is in there somewhere as well.

22. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Maybe if I had read the comic book I might feel different about the movie. But I didn't, so I don't. My opinion is the movie sucks. And the longer version just sucks longer.

23. Krull

Krull Sr Member

I saw the movie first and then I read the comic,I like both versions.

To each their own.

24. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

Love the movie. Love the comic.

Probably my favorite comic book adaptation ever. I actually liked the movie ending MORE than the comic book ending.

25. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

This is one of those movies I can watch anytime it is on.

26. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Never read the book. Not sure I'd even heard of it. But very much enjoyed the film. Drips with style, for better or for worse...

27. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

like it! :lol