Watching old movies on hd tv and bluray

DaddyfromNaboo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yesterday evening we watched Short Circuit. I did not realize that out tv was configured to sharpen the image and reduce noise and whatnot.

All of that made that old and dated movie look like a telenovela or soap opera from the 90ies. A catastrophe.
But my bonus daughter was not bothered by that.

So are kids less sensitive about issues like this or do they just accept ehat they are served?

For research on props I guess a supersharp image is really helpful and i wonder how star wars will look like in hd, but oh thesuperrealism of auch an image really pulls me out of the movie.

Just turn off all the "enhancement" features, it makes everything look like a video taped soap opera. Modern HD transfers and Bluray do such a good job of capturing the original film look right down to the grain, and I prefer to see it unfiltered.

If your TV has a "Film" or "Cinema" preset use it, otherwise set all picture settings to their center position and set color temp to warm (brightness might look better a step or two down from center). Leave all enhancement off.

I noticed the exact same thing while watching SyFy's marathon of The Twilight Zone during New Year.

It almost looked like an SNL skit where they do black & white to parody an older film.

I found it a bit jarring, but not really off-putting.

Yesterday evening we watched Short Circuit. I did not realize that out tv was configured to sharpen the image and reduce noise and whatnot.

All of that made that old and dated movie look like a telenovela or soap opera from the 90ies. A catastrophe.
But my bonus daughter was not bothered by that.

So are kids less sensitive about issues like this or do they just accept ehat they are served?

For research on props I guess a supersharp image is really helpful and i wonder how star wars will look like in hd, but oh thesuperrealism of auch an image really pulls me out of the movie.

As noted, you can turn it off.

As for the daughter, well, if she's under 15(ish), most TV's have come with that stuff for that long if not longer and they're just used to it. Not to mention they keep all that crap on in the store and/or push the latest greatest video on it to make the sets look better. The correct settings have become something you have to know to enable/disable/etc to get the proper picture.

It'd be great if they created a HDR type setting that worked for all sets that let the content creator set the values on your TV for the proper picture, as an option, so you'd know you're watching it the way it was intended or not.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back