Watched Logan's Run - what's the big deal with it?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Everyone says Logan's Run is so great, why? Other than having a super hot female hero, I don't see what's so special. I guess if you hadn't seen anything that came out after 76, it might be pretty good. It seems like a hour long show like The Outer Limits would have been a better format than a whole movie.

I love it because it was a response back to the "don't trust anyone over 30" counter culture.

A youth based culture doesn't cut it because they have sacrificed hard earned wisdom for hedonism. Logan and Jessica rediscover our humanity that was all but washed away by the sterile unquestioning pleasure seeking world under the dome. It was built to preserve the human race with ending life at 30, but not humanity.

That's why I think it's great.

Don't forget this was still the era of "don't trust anyone over 30" so it probably hit a chord with that generation. I just think it's a fun movie to watch. I still have to pick up the novel it's based on though. Visually the models are really neat looking but I wish they'd gone into more detail about the events leading up to the city. The tv show delved into it but i'm not sure how close it was supposed to be to the movie storyline.

It has more to do with our childhood memories of cool movies and TV shows.

Logan's Run
Fantastic Voyage
Andromeda Strain
Lost in Space
Speed Racer
Space 1999
etc.

Watch them today and it's impossible to compare them to what is made now, but in our minds they are the best things ever filmed.

You can do a great drinking game, where you take a shot every time you spot an extra who is obviously way over 30.

Some of the Sandmen look like they should be swapping their flame guns for bus passes :confused

It's the last great Science Fiction movie before Star Wars ruined it all.

I sort of agree with this believe it or not. Prior to Star Wars the great Science Fiction films were about unique and interesting concepts. After Star Wars it wasn't a requirement (although there still are some).

Logan's Run was the last great Science Fiction movie to require it's concept to make up for it's production value.

I love the film, but it's all about the idea.

You can do a great drinking game, where you take a shot every time you spot an extra who is obviously way over 30.

Some of the Sandmen look like they should be swapping their flame guns for bus passes :confused

It was the radiation. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Jenny.

Agutter.

And with that this thread is long past due for this...

JESSICA.jpg

I liked how it was a big adventure. I totally dug all the set pieces, Jerry Goldsmith's music and the locals.

In the book you cash out at age 21 BTW. One night TNT showed Rollerball, Soylent Green, and Logan's Run in that order. I thought you know, this really is a logical progression if you think of it.

Love the guns, love Jenny (especially naked Jenny), love the music, but...

...the special effects suck and I hate how the city is destroyed by two gun shots. Good design. :facepalm

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back