Wastelanders Pipboy WIP

Cedva Ko

Not quite sure if this is the right place but her I go anyways. I am making a Pipboy. But not just any Pipboy: a Wastelanders Pipboy. This Pipboy is what I think a Wastelander might make to approximate a Pipboy after only hearing about it or maybe even finding some manuals or broken ones. It's going to have a GPS system, a Geiger counter, an inventory system, a radio, and some health stuff, namely a heart rate monitor and a muscle sensor (if i can find a use for it.) The crown jewel though: an MP3 player with a custom cartridge storage system. All this is going into tins that I may be able to screen print the Mentats logo on. So far I have the enclosure started and an MP3s decoder wired and programmed, (it just won't work right). This version came about mainly because I like tins and tactile switches and such.

Links:
  • Main tin Primary Source: Adafruit. This is my first stop for project sourcing.
  • Main tin Secondary Source: Amazon. this is a general search for hinged tins. best part? there is no right answer! choose the tins you want, just be aware of what you have to fit in it. For example, at the core is a Raspberry Pi 4 with Qt Pys from Adafruit acting as controllers for the breakouts. The large tin can hold my display and Pi easily, the small tin is just right for the Arduino footprint.
  • Secondary tin PS: any retailer that sells Altoids.
  • Secondary tin SS: Adafruit. The Amazon link is a good one too.

Misc:
  • Screws and nuts: any will do. I used M3 thread screws with brass stand offs

Attachments

• 20220127_132627.jpg
    20220127_132627.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
That's an awesome idea!
Thank you. I'll be posting more as well as diagrams and code as I develop. I'll also include files for 3d prints and acrylic cuts as those are going to be used as spacers and supports inside the device. the coding is going to be python and I'll see about making it generic in language so you will just need to name your pics and files accordingly, but it will be fairly easy to re-code or add to if you wish. I'll also include links to the parts I use, as well as some alternatives the only thing that wont be free are custom pcbs I make. I'll be selling those, though it may be as a file instead of a physical item. Speaking of links, I need to add one to my original post.

Started on the control box, which will sit separately from the main housing. As the current parts are the same, there wont be any new links. There will be at least 4 holes carved out: 2 for the encoders, 1 for volume control, and one for the power switch. Optional holes will include a few for a power level indicator.

Attachments

• 20220202_114826.jpg
    20220202_114826.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
Minor Update: I'm getting a Raspberry Pi from an instructor for this. It's a 3, but I ain't turning my nose up to a free piece of tech.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back