Was this Graflex eBay auction a replica?

On the original models, with the telegraph style button, they painted the lines in the top shell and the clamp letters and lines black. All the real clamps I've worked with either had the paint or grime in the lines.

Honestly I thought they all had it unless they had been cleaned with acetone.

I have 2 Parks Graflex, and one thing I just noticed is that on the Parks, "NEW YORK" is spelled out:

IMG210.jpgParks

And on the one in the auction, it's just "NY"

688551207_tp.jpgauction

Deanb sells these all the time on eBay. I bought an upper from him this year. Mine looked untouched but under careful examination by blowing up the pics it seems very apparent that he lightly sands the hilts to clean them up. You can often see some brass showing around the beer tab rivet or near the red button/glass eye raised portion. This leads me to believe he uses a buffing wheel of some kind and goes too far and removes the plating a bit.

I would not be happy to get one only to find that the plating has been buffed off.

Also the black lettering is accurate with or without. There are MANY variations of a real vintage. There are a few great threads that detail all of the differences.

Deanb is a pleasure to deal with. My one transaction with him was flawless.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back