Was Fonzie A Loser?

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
One of the “cultural icons” that has become somewhat forgotten is “The Fonz” from Happy Days. Like Alf, and Mr. T, etc. he has become almost consigned to the dustbin of pop cultural history.

E600FD1E-80BF-4381-B06C-AC5E301C1EE2.jpeg

My daughter’s generation has no idea who this character was.

I remember when I was about 5 years old that “The Fonz” was everywhere. I think he even had a Saturday morning cartoon at one point?

Which brings me to the point of this random post. I ran across a random reference to him the other day and thought a little bit more about who the character was and thought, how did this guy become what the 1970’s thought was “cool”???

The guy fit the bill as a loser and a creep.

He was over 21 and exclusively hung out with high school kids…

His “office” was a bathroom in a diner where the high school kids hung out at….

E9498E54-8113-4741-8E8E-EFEAAF7E2F7F.jpeg

How was this guy EVER considered “cool”??

I mean, I realize the era had very questionable tastes, but, really??

409C09E5-41B1-4845-BD0E-777769F46CA8.jpeg

Last edited:
First of all, my comments are NOT directed at you ALLEY. I'm simply trying to answer the question in the title. That said...

Yes... Fonzie WAS cool. No... Never a loser.

History before that show is what made people think that he was cool, & everything after, until VERY recently, has upheld his 'coolness'. When we feel like we have to go back through history & apologize to today's overly sensitive, professionally outraged culture for what may make their pampered ears bleed, then we've lost the plot.

Much like the recent comments from Laura Dern & Sam Neil, where they actually felt the need to GO BACK & APOLOGIZE for the age gap in their characters relationship in Jurassic Park, this current need to look back with today's crybaby sensibilities & see just how terrible things used to be, seems to be only to make those that went through those times weaker in the eyes of 'society', & pat the backs of the current 'enlightened'.

I'll never live to see it (thank the Lord), but history will bear out where this gets us.

Last edited:
When I was in grade three there was a kid who had been held back twice, and therefore two years older than us. By all accounts he was the "loser" of the class, but he was mister popular and the coolest kid I knew, simply because he was older and in our circle.

Look at Fonzie through the perspective of a kid and not an adult. He's the coolest thing around because he's independent and knows just that little bit more about life than everyone he hangs out with. Doesn't make a lick of difference if he's successful or not. And may I point out, that if you want "creepy relationships" that look super bad out of context you don't have to go back to the 70's to find one. You've got a 50 year old guy that's best friends with a high school student in your avatar. ;)

I always saw Fonzie as a character who didn't have a great family life. The show touched on his father not being in his life, and his mother not being around much either. So I always saw his actions towards the kids - a few years younger than him - as a means to fill the need for family, especially as a big brother type to Richie. True he was a dropout, but he was still a late teen kid struggling to work as a mechanic and survive. That doesn't make him a loser. So he hung out with high school kids, as stated above, I believe that was more along the lines of hanging out with family to him.
And then that bond only grew as he was welcomed more into the Cunningham family, moving above their garage and then some. Mrs. C and Mr. C became surrogate parents to him, and Joanie became his sister. I believe the show was an arc where we see the early days of Fonzie taking Richie and his friends under his wings, step up as a brother type (since Chuck mysteriously disappeared, lol), then we watch that relationships grow, along with Fonzie's life and career as mechanic, then a partner in the drive in where the kids hang out, and then as a teacher.

Last edited:
^^ Batguy, I was about to mention that very thing. I was a kid when Happy Days came out and it easy to see how that show evolved as it went along... I mean, Richie's older brother disappeared as the show progressed. ;)

But as far as cool?... ABSOLUTELY! I mean, the guy jumped a shark and in to process gave the world a term for "well, this has officially gone to crap" that's still used to this day!

The funny thing is I think modern audiences would like Fonz for being an alpha or sigma male or whatever they call them these days.

The Fonz in universe was characterized as "the cool guy" and the man, being good with cars as a greaser, riding a motorcycle, wearing a leather jacket in contrast to Richie who is more of the every man. Fonzie is the Barney Simpson to Richie's Ted Mosby or the Joey to Richie's Ross. The cool guy that gets to say the funny lines and do the outrageous things that make him popular and thus "cool."

But what probably made the Fonz "cool" to more than just kids is his high moral code. He treats most other characters with respect and also defends others. He was a high school dropout but eventually went back to night school and finished his degree. He isnt the richest but he worked as an auto mechanic and then eventually became a teacher.

This reminds me, what did Fonzie do for a living? Did he actually have a job? It's been so long since I've least watched Happy Days that I've totally forgotten whether he actually worked or not or somehow magically had money to pay for rent to the Cunninghams (unless Marian was a super softy and let Arthur live in his place for free) and gas for his bike.

This reminds me, what did Fonzie do for a living? Did he actually have a job?

He worked as a mechanic then eventually had his own garage. And yes, he was cool. The coolest. He didn't hang around with kids. They hung around him. The fact that he had eerie powers just adds to the cool factor. However Tom Hanks was able to karate kick him through a door.

It all depends on your age and attitude.
5-10 He is cool because he can start juke boxes with a fist slam.
10-20 He is cool because he can get chicks.
20-40 He is cool because he can get chicks.
40-70 He's a bum and has no class. He won't amount to anything except being a mechanic. Keep guys like him away from my kids.
70-90 Where's the nurse with my medication?

TazMan2000

It all depends on your age and attitude.
5-10 He is cool because he can start juke boxes with a fist slam.
10-20 He is cool because he can get chicks.
20-40 He is cool because he can get chicks.
40-70 He's a bum and has no class. He won't amount to anything except being a mechanic. Keep guys like him away from my kids.
70-90 Where's the nurse with my medication?

TazMan2000
Don't forget he turned into a teacher.

Don't forget he turned into a teacher.

Probably from backlash of the 40-70 year old parents who are paying cable for their kids to watch the show in the 70's. They had to make Fonzie a better man.

But if the show aired today, his character would be viewed as sexist, and the women that Fonzie charmed with the snap of his fingers would be shamed for being subservient to a man.

TazMan2000

One of the “cultural icons” that has become somewhat forgotten is “The Fonz” from Happy Days. Like Alf, and Mr. T, etc. he has become almost consigned to the dustbin if pop cultural history.

View attachment 1598059

My daughter’s generation has no idea who this character was.

I remember when I was about 5 years old that “The Fonz” was everywhere. I think he even had a Saturday morning cartoon at one point?

Which brings me to the point of this random post. I ran across a random reference to him the other day and thought a little bit more about who the character was and thought, how did this guy become what the 1970’s thought was “cool”???

The guy fit the bill as a loser and a creep.

He was over 21 and exclusively hung out with high school kids…

His “office” was a bathroom in a diner where the high school kids hung out at….

View attachment 1598097

How was this guy EVER considered “cool”??

I mean, I realize the era had very questionable tastes, but, really??

View attachment 1598058
Hey I had a pair of pants like that when I was teenager in the 70's, but thankfully no Leisure Suit, Platform Shoes or Puka Shell Necklace!

Probably from backlash of the 40-70 year old parents who are paying cable for their kids to watch the show in the 70's. They had to make Fonzie a better man.

But if the show aired today, his character would be viewed as sexist, and the women that Fonzie charmed with the snap of his fingers would be shamed for being subservient to a man.

TazMan2000
If it aired today, he'd be gay and apologizing constantly for his white privilege.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back