Was Doc Brown dead in 2015?

At the beginning of part 2 Doc didn't know he'd be forced back to 1885 and had no idea about Clara or a train time machine, he worries about Marty's future and doesn't mention his own future, I'm guessing he died sometime in late 90's early 00's.

But since he made the time machine he alters his own destiny and the present Doc is kinda like a timeless Doc that travels everywhere ("every-when" i guess haha) he doesnt return to live through those 30 years, but during part 2 we don't know if he would have returned or not because his future isn't written yet... To answer, I have no idea where 2015 Doc is in that timeline (before we see the events in part 3)

Sidenote: What really bothered me was that Doc gave Marty money to buy clothes in the 50's, which were meant to go to somebody that lived in the 50's, altering somebody's future somewhere in Hill Valley. That hat jacket and glasses could have meant to go to 3 separate people. But Marty went to buy it and changed something causing a time paradox for some random people and changes their futures forever

I am sure the fuel line didn't make a difference, he could patch that up easy. He has been there for months, the doc would of taken the fuel out of the car before storing it in the mine. If he left the fuel in there, it would probably do more bad than good. Also, it was the other thing that exploded off the car(fuel injection solenoid?). Had they taken that off the stored car, I don't think the DeLorean would of even ran in 1955. I don't think they had that kind of part to retro fit into the DeLorean.

On the topic about Doc, it does make sense that there wouldn't be a Doc in 2015. As stated above, Doc never really returned to stay in 1985. Marty however, does, and returns to live out his life while the Doc would be wandering about.

Ehhh... maybe. Yeah he would have syphoned the fuel. But he's also a scientist in the old west before gasoline was invented. you think he'd have thrown it away? And the other part that exploded off the car, did so because they tried running it on whiskey or something. So that wouldn't have happened had they used gasoline.

The whole time traveling into the future thing never made sense to me. If the future hasnt already been written, then it doesnt exist. How can you travel somewhere that doesnt exist?

Ehhh... maybe. Yeah he would have syphoned the fuel. But he's also a scientist in the old west before gasoline was invented. you think he'd have thrown it away? And the other part that exploded off the car, did so because they tried running it on whiskey or something. So that wouldn't have happened had they used gasoline.

No, I don't think he would of thrown it away, but being he was there for a few months, he may well have used it somewhere, in one of his inventions, most likely. With that in mind, had he used it, come to think of it, he must of used it. He had to of, knowing he didn't have a real use for it in a car. When he made the statement about gas not being around, he didn't suddenly say: "Oh wait, I remember I have the fuel from a few months ago." Which is why, he would of blown out the part regardless. It's just easiest to blame Marty for driving reckless and tearing the fuel line. Maybe even blame Marty for not thinking quickly and putting a pan or bucket or something under it to try and capture it(don't ask me where he would get that, we don't know what's in the car).

I guess the point is, he doesn't have fuel, if he did, they wouldn't of blown out the part. Because they did, they couldn't take it off the other one. I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of paradoxes involved.

On the money issue, I still question how he got that money from the different years.

The whole time traveling into the future thing never made sense to me. If the future hasnt already been written, then it doesnt exist. How can you travel somewhere that doesnt exist?

Correct. And there is the thought that, IF time travel is possible (besides our normal day to day moving forward through time), then you can only go BACK in time, to events that have already happened. Because future events have not occurred yet, from our "normal" frame of reference, there is nothing/nowhere/no time in the future to travel to :confused

Ok first- the kid thing- I never noticed it before and now it totally creeps me out and I'll never be able to watch that scene again- hope ur happy ;).

Secondly,
you guys are thinking about time too linearly.
Think about the whole mobious strip concept of time and it makes everything much more feasible.

they couldnt touch the car in the cave because marty needed it intact to use later.

also doc would have known to remove the fuel and use it because gasoline degrades into varnish over time anyways

I'd say yes. In BTTF the game it's established that he was born in 1914 putting him at 100 or 101 in 2015 depending on his exact date of birth.

Since the Doc in 1955 knew he sent Marty back to 1885, shouldn't the older Doc then know that Marty was coming back to 1885, since it technically already happened relative to his life?

Yes, I know, multiple timelines and whatnot, but the 1955 doc would STILL have to live to be an alternate 1985 Doc that would fulfill all of the same key points along the timeline for the events to remain as we see them. Then, when Marty travels back to 1885, he would instantly travel back to the alternate 1885 with the alternate Doc in it, making it so that Doc should know all along that Marty was coming back to 1885.

No?

Correct. And there is the thought that, IF time travel is possible (besides our normal day to day moving forward through time), then you can only go BACK in time, to events that have already happened. Because future events have not occurred yet, from our "normal" frame of reference, there is nothing/nowhere/no time in the future to travel to :confused

All time exists simultaneously. Before you bring up predestination, it exists in all of its possible scenarios simultaneously until it is observed, until it's probability wave collapses to zero, leaving only the present, but those alternate choices must exist in some capacity. It's a lot like the component of quantum physics known as superpositioning. Essentially all time that is not the present is unobserved, and as such exists as a sort of potential. When we arrive at that point in time, that potential vanishes leaving only momentary inevitability.

-Nick

Last edited:
The guy can get Plutonium, you don't think he can't break into some old cash museum and steal some in the present?

While in a sense he "stole it", he got the Plutonium from the Lybians. Remember the line: "Doc, you don't just walk into a store and ask for Plutonium, did you rip that off?" "Of course, from a group of Lybian Nationalists..." So, he was given the Plutonium, and he just kept it for himself and lied to them.

I don't think the Doc would go and steal it.

While in a sense he "stole it", he got the Plutonium from the Lybians. Remember the line: "Doc, you don't just walk into a store and ask for Plutonium, did you rip that off?" "Of course, from a group of Lybian Nationalists..." So, he was given the Plutonium, and he just kept it for himself and lied to them.

I don't think the Doc would go and steal it.

But they stole it from somewhere, remember the news reporter in the beginning!. I remember they news reporter says something about that "they" counted the nukes and it must have been a fluke in the counting.

The libyen dont look so smart that they could steal some plutonium. I think Doc helped them with that,

Wow, did I really screw up on spelling Libyen? I haven't even mentioned that countries name in years.

I don't know why, I just don't see Doc as the type to steal stuff.

1985 Doc probably assumed he don't be alive in 2015 since he mentioned that time would be beyond his years. Even if he was alive by 2015, he might not have lived there since he had the train to keep traveling in the past like how he hold Marty at the end of the trilogy that he had already been to the future. Might assume that the past was best suit for him, the wife, and scary kids?!

Necro post!

But while I'm here...

I subscribe to the "Doc was never there because he continued travelling through time while Marty & Jen went back to real life". However, if he was there (with the longevity treatment he could have) he would have avoided his past self at ALL COSTS so you wouldn't see him anyway.

I actually had questions about the longevity treatment. The cops in the alleyway seemed very surprised by 1985 Jennifer's youthful looks. They thought it must have just been "a hell of a face lift".

So either Doc got the longevity treatment in a year further than 2015 or it was some experimental treatment for the rich as other younger characters like George looked like hell.

I actually had questions about the longevity treatment. The cops in the alleyway seemed very surprised by 1985 Jennifer's youthful looks. They thought it must have just been "a hell of a face lift".

So either Doc got the longevity treatment in a year further than 2015 or it was some experimental treatment for the rich as other younger characters like George looked like hell.

Given we don't know what happened to Doc on the present time line, anything is possible.

I need to watch these again, but is it not 2015 on the alternate time line news paper when Doc has been committed?

It's 1985 Alt. when Doc was commited. He must've passed on by 2015A.

I thought the money that Doc had on him was counterfeit, like he went to a muesum or somewhere, obtained pictures of the money, and made copies of the money with a copy machine or something. Surely, 1985 or 2015 had copy machines that made pretty good funny money.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back