Warrior Hawkgirl - Articulating Wings + Armor

Very happy to be following this thread! I'm so impressed with the fantastic work you are doing on this! I hope I run into you at a con sometime so I can get a pic with you:)

"What news from Riddermark?" :popcorn

It's swarming with orcs! Though my life is nearly back in order, I do have an exam to take tomorrow, so it will be another day before updates. I managed so good progress over the weekend, so I hope to post tomorrow night or the next. Thanks for checking in!

You bet :thumbsuphappy your life being back on track.
Good luck with the exam tomorrow!! We're keeping our fingers crossed for you

Alright. Interview done. Midterms done. KC Planet Comicon done. Life back in order! So, where did I leave off ages ago?

Wings.

So the concept behind these is that the wings will remain folded for mobility and to keep them safe, but when I manually lift them, the gas struts will hold them up hands-free. This is made possible through the action of two little levers; when the wings move through the motion to open or close, the strut compresses, the lever switches over, and and the strut re-expands, holding the wings in shape.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

They're a little noisy, but I'm surprised that they finally work, so no complaints here. I wish I could have something more automatic and hands-free (w/o cables), but this will work for now.

For the feathers, I decided on a white bedsheet (free) with a long drinking-straw quill. I didn't know how I was attaching these to the frame, so using the straws keeps my options open and allows me to adjust lengths while figuring out placement.

image.jpg

To to build the feathers, I tapered the ends of the straw quills and sandwiched them between two fabric strips. I painted the inside surface of each strip with wallpaper glue (cheap, clear, water-soluble) and sealed it around the straw, squeezing out any bubbles as I went. I started painting the outside of the feather to really saturate it, but this ended up being entirely unnecessary - just the inside is fine. Latex wall paint has also worked for me.

image.jpg image.jpg

For the frame attachment, I thought I had something cool going with IV tubing I had laying around. The feathers attach to a dowel, then the dowel fits into a small length if tubing. This tubing is zip-tied and taped to the frame. So when the wings open or close, the feathers can swing open or lay flat against the wing frame. All of the feathers would then be attached together by a string so they fold and unfold like a fan. However, the frame was shaped all wrong and took some rearranging. Once that was done, the feathers are too big! All in all, it's mostly a mess and won't collapse down, despite my last-ditch efforts before Planet Comicon - so I was wingless Hawkgirl. But it's the Nth metal that lets her fly anyway, so screw the wings.

Here are a few shots from the convention:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Always changing in a parking lot ____ Emperor Hawk ____________ Mace glow ____________________ Injustice Flash

I also met RPFer @Gojira, in is awesome Batman Beyond armor!! He has more photos to check out on his build thread.

image.jpg

So, wings will hopefully work themselves out in the coming months! Thanks to everyone who's been following along!

Last edited:
I like how your costume turned out :thumbsup the wings will be a bonus next Con ;)
Thank you for sharing your photos and experience with us ! I'm gonna stick around and see the wings being made :popcorn

You also met a creeper at the convention! Sorry for screaming your RPF name at you, i was just excited to see your stuff, it looked wonderful.

It looks like you had a lot of fun. The outfit looked great! I can't wait to see more with the wings.
! I'm gonna stick around and see the wings being made :popcorn

Thank you both! Hopefully I can get the wings worked out before St. Louis' comic con! I've got a few ideas about feather placement, plus cutting the feathers down in size, that will hopefully resolve the folding issue. Then to deal with the coverts and other small feathers... bring it on, wings!
I worry that none of us are really putting into words just how incredible this build is!
That implies there are words for such wonder.

:D + :$
You also met a creeper at the convention! Sorry for screaming your RPF name at you, i was just excited to see your stuff, it looked wonderful.

Ahahahaha, it wasn't that creepy. I'm typically pretty secretive, so when someone knows me I get all "who are you, sir, and why do you call me my horse's name???" But it's so neat to actually meet RPF members in person! One awesome community!
How did your exam go on Friday,Spring? Just wondering...

Flying colors, which has made me extra lazy about studying. More time for wings, eh?

I love everything about this build, except that it's making me think Worbla might actually be worth the price, which is dangerous....

But seriously, the amount of detail you've put into this is inspiring.

Thanks everyone for following along! I've been a little slow as of late, so I apologize for that. The wings have been giving me some trouble, so there's been a ton of slow, trial and error - take it apart, switch it around, put it back together. Repeat. Hopefully I have a breakthrough soon!

And thanks, Canobi! It was very fun. Everyone loved the light, by the way. Definitely set the costume off!

I found a few more pictures floating around the Internet from various sources:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 353
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 287
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back