Warped Resin Helmet Question

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by SchubroProductions, Aug 27, 2015.

1. SchubroProductions

SchubroProductions Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have a resin helmet that is warped to the point I can't fit it on my head. Is there a way to fix this using a heat gun? Does anyone have a procedure other than a heat gun?

2. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

A hairdryer will work if you can get it hot enough. The only other way is immersing it (or pouring tons of) in boiling water. Best way is to use a heat gun or a hairdryer and try and use newspaper or something to push the warped areas to a better position.

TazMan2000

3. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

What's the nature of the helmet and the material you use? I wouldn't advise immediately bringing a heat gun to it without assessing the situation thoroughly first. Everyone's fiberglassing technique and materials are different. What works wonders for one situation may cause disaster such as overheating and expanding subsurface air pockets that result in blistering and even delamination.

wrcromu and GhostMinion like this.
  4. SchubroProductions

SchubroProductions Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I received the helmet as a purchase. It is made from Urethane Resin. I don't see any fiberglass backing.

5. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Try gentle heat first. Prolonged heat, or heat concentrated at one area, can cause problems. Evenly distribute the heat. A heat gun or a kitchen oven stove (assuming this is an unpainted kit) work. Just keep the area well ventilated.