Warped model part - suggestions?

Jimmer

I've had a Revell build and play Lando's Falcon shelved forever and decided to paint/weather it over the weekend.

I know these barely qualify as models, but I've done the Falcon, Poes X and Star Destroyer (actually love that one) and enjoy them as a quick project and to hone painting skills.

Anyway, first step (as always) was to wash it in warm water with a soft toothbrush.
Well, when finished washing I noticed one of the longer hydraulic "struts" on the boarding ramp had "warped" or bent inward - away from the hull and toward center of the ramp.

The water I used was warm, not hot.
Anyway, I tried heating it with a hairdryer to straighten it - no luck. It reverted right back.
I then decided to cut a piece of a paperclip and run it from the opposite strut (at the top where the "hooks" are and realized that won't work because when raising/lowering the ramp it won't allow any "give" - eventual breakage for sure.

The only time I've ever seen anything like this is once I built a pocket model x wing and all 4 cannons were crooked. I hair dried them to straighten and rinse in cool water - 3 came out perfect and one did a funky minor dog-leg bend. It behaved just like this strut - held that form and I could never get it straightened.

The ramp now looks so bad with the one strut bending inward I guess I will glue the ramp shut and fill in the gaps, but I'm trying to figure out if I caused this or if it's a fluke.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

A picture might help to see what you mean.

I'm not home but will post one tomorrow.
Like I said, I don't think there's gonna be any fix for it, I just can't figure out why it bent in the first place.
Water was warm but not hot, and I always clean parts thoroughly but am never rough with them.

I assume you tried this already, but when you heated and straightened it, did you clamp it in the straight position until it cooled?

I've read that if you heat it up, straighten it the position you want, then dip it in cold water still maintaining the new shape, it should stay in the new position, but I've never tried it personally.

I've read that if you heat it up, straighten it the position you want, then dip it in cold water still maintaining the new shape, it should stay in the new position, but I've never tried it personally.

This has always worked for me except for this piece and the small xwing cannon I mentioned.
I'm out of town but will post pics in couple days when I get home.
Thanks

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back