Warner Chappell Music IP and Fan Use.

I don't think Disney will stop making Star Wars content. There is too much money to be made. I think what will happen is they could very well come down hard on fans for making unauthorized content.

It's working too. He's started something, and it's big. So many people calling for the death and destruction of the Disney/Lucasfilm Star Wars. What they don't realize is, if they're successful. All that's going to happen is Disney/Lucasfilm will quit making new content. It's not like they're going to sell it to someone else.
At this point I'd welcome that.

At this point I'd welcome that.

Do you realize how selfish that sounds? 'I don't like the new Star Wars, so I'm going to ruin it for everyone else!' What about those of us who are enjoying the Disney/Lucasfilm Star Wars? Do you think we might feel a little cheated if they quit making Star Wars because of some angry rage filled fans killed Star Wars?

Did Disney stop other studios from making Hercules movies? Snowwhite stories? Etc

No, someone can make a Snow White story as long as they don't name the Dwarves Grumpy, Sneezy etc...

The point being that Disney was able to use public domain stuff to create an empire for themselves without giving back and in turn stifling creativity.

In essence, if there was the equivalent of a "Disney", before there was a Disney, we would never have gotten some of the amazing creative retellings and adaptations of those classics we got from Disney

Well, that's interesting. Not what I expected, but maybe what we should have expected given the state of fan-Disney relations lately. I guess now we see what happens when he makes his second film.

Good to see he's calling for everyone to go thank Lucasfilm for removing the claim.
I do agree that it almost sounded like he had some kind of informal contract going with Lucasfilm that he felt had been violated. I imagine if he wanted to put $80,000 into it he probably had to sign some sort of legal agreement promising not to monetize it directly.

There's an article on the whole thing now too.
Lucasfilm Saves Darth Vader Fan Film from Disney Copyright Claim

Last edited:
Well, that's interesting. Not what I expected, but maybe what we should have expected given the state of fan-Disney relations lately. I guess now we see what happens when he makes his second film.

Good to see he's calling for everyone to go thank Lucasfilm for removing the claim.
I do agree that it almost sounded like he had some kind of informal contract going with Lucasfilm that he felt had been violated. I imagine if he wanted to put $80,000 into it he probably had to sign some sort of legal agreement promising not to monetize it directly.

There's an article on the whole thing now too.
Lucasfilm Saves Darth Vader Fan Film from Disney Copyright Claim

Further down there's another link stating fans were boycotting SW9 because of this lol I wonder if some at LF feared a Solo like backlash and further bad PR

Looks like LF stepped in and fixed everything. He's thanking them and Reddit for bringing everything to light in the comments.

I just saw this. The power of the internet at its best, I’m happy for the guy. Glad it worked out for him

Also shows lucasfilm is pretty respectful too.. really changed my mind of the company real quick

Further down there's another link stating fans were boycotting SW9 because of this lol I wonder if some at LF feared a Solo like backlash and further bad PR

You better believe they are starting to think more about PR. I think they're starting to figure out that their brand isn't invincible, which is good for all of the fans.

If you remember how hard they doubled down after TLJ underwhelmed in the box office and all of the degrading things they were saying to the fans, compare that to how they're handling business now. Whether or not you liked Solo, the poor return off of that DID change how they're doing business, and it showed that the fans still do have the power.

You better believe they are starting to think more about PR. I think they're starting to figure out that their brand isn't invincible, which is good for all of the fans.

If you remember how hard they doubled down after TLJ underwhelmed in the box office and all of the degrading things they were saying to the fans, compare that to how they're handling business now. Whether or not you liked Solo, the poor return off of that DID change how they're doing business, and it showed that the fans still do have the power.

What did they (Disney/Lucasfilm) say to fans to got everyone upset? Everyone I question, either can't answer me, or start saying "so and so said this, and so and so said that". As I understand it, it was people who worked at Lucasfilm, but what they said was from their own private social media accounts. But I still can never find any quotes.

What did they (Disney/Lucasfilm) say to fans to got everyone upset? Everyone I question, either can't answer me, or start saying "so and so said this, and so and so said that". As I understand it, it was people who worked at Lucasfilm, but what they said was from their own private social media accounts. But I still can never find any quotes.
The people that compose LFL are LFL. The company doesn't have to release an official statement.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back