Warner Bros Releasing 2021 Films to Theatres and HBO Max on the Same Day

I'm not entirely sure but I think there's a residual side to this that affects the bottom line for certain big-time actors and directors, since deals for movies like Dune and Tenet, for example, were signed way before any covid lockdowns. This might explain the outrage.

For certain directors, theatrical releases, streaming, bluray sales, in-flights entertainment, network broadcasts - each come with some form of compensation. Not every director has those kinds of deals, but the ones who have been outspoken about this deal do.

I'm sure there's more to that, but $$ for big name players is certainly part of the equation.

Thats a HUGE part of it. When WB/AT&T decided to release WW84 to theatres and HBO Max on the same day, they went to Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot with nice fat checks and gave them a head's up. They didn't do that with this other announcement. Plus there's the situation with Legendary Pictures. WB/AT&T may not have actually had the right to make the call to release a couple of these films straight to streaming. They could've made this less of a thing with a pile of checks. Instead its going to cost them much more between all the lawsuits and bad press.

As I said before, my only stake in this is the Dune movies and it seems it's going exactly in the direction I dreaded when I first heard that it will be a two-movie experience but they were not making them back-to-back. There are too many half-done series, trilogies and failed multi-installment films/games that died because the first run didn't make enough money. It would gut me if Dune went down this road too but all signs point in that direction.

I think it has been some 30 years since I actually went out to see a movie and since I get HBO Max as part of my regular service without having to pay extra I'm all for this. Also I really don't care if some big name star of director only makes a few million dollars instead of a hundred million.

As I said before, my only stake in this is the Dune movies and it seems it's going exactly in the direction I dreaded when I first heard that it will be a two-movie experience but they were not making them back-to-back. There are too many half-done series, trilogies and failed multi-installment films/games that died because the first run didn't make enough money. It would gut me if Dune went down this road too but all signs point in that direction.
Well, assuming things return to normal at some point, killing something because it didn't perform well in a pandemic with theaters shut down shows zero business knowledge or sense.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back