Warhammer 40k Space Marine build [CHAPTER PENDING] Picture Heavy W.I.P

ChrisThePropGuy

Hey guys,
Im Chris. This is my first thread I've started so please admins if Im doing something wrong don't hesitate to tell me, I don't want to be banned!
This is my first time doing a foam costume, (I am more experienced with Pep and fiberglass) so if you see any areas I could do better on please give some advice. hopefully others can benefit from it as well as me.

Now onto the build. sorry i haven't posted early stage pictures, I didn't have an account back then and above all I was much too lazy! now I will be showing you guys I will go into better detail throughout the process.

This is the last picture I took since I have worked on it. I have taken a substantial break from props for a while, if this thread takes off I will be putting extra work in each week.
So this is what I have accomplished thus far: (sorry don't know how to rotate images yet.)
IMG_1874.JPG
As you can see, my join work is totally crap but I will be working on that. My join lines maybe bad but my filling is good, gonna need HEAPS of no more gaps!
If you are familiar with space marines like me, you will notice the shoulder cap needs to be higher. So far I am going off Gary Sterley's build for now, he uses ball joint on brackets to support his shoulder bells but for now I don't have a 3D printer. My birthday is in a few weeks so I should hopefully have one by then. so that's 1 problem solved!
the other problem is the height. I have come too far to restart though :( I was aming for a 7 foot model which is the actual size but the pep file I got was already scaled to around 6.2. at this point I still use stilts because Im a scrawny little thing. but because the whole thing is shorter so are the arms, so as I grow my arms will be able to come through and I wont have to shorten the position of the arms. Sounds like Im venting at this point huh?
Ill keep you guys updated, Im setting everything back up this week so ill be able to do more work on it.
see you tomorrow!
-Chris.k

Also I have decided from now I will be doing an Ultramarine, but if you guys have some Ideas feel free to post them even some custom color schemes would be cool.
I may change my mind on what chapter to do because I haven't done much on the symbols yet but the reason I feel strongly towards Ultramarines is because if anyone here plays 40k you will remember the first time you go to games workshop they give you a model to paint and its an Ultramarine. so Its kind of nostalgic and kind of because I mainly collect Space marines and Imperial guard.

BROTHERS UNITE FOR THE IMPERIUM.
in your own homes, separately.

Awesome work so far. I'm hoping to do a Plague marine or a noise marine at some point when i get more time and finish up some of my other outstanding projects.

Awesome! I think it's cool to see other people trying to build space marine armour considering how challenging it is.
Hopefully you can learn something.
more pics tomorrow,
-Chris.k

Looking great ! I have to get off my butt and start my space marine build too . Keep up great work . Can't wait to see more progress pics

Mockle, Dude just wow!
awesome job on your space marine armour.
also amassing line work, can't even see the joins.
will definetly be getting some ispiration from your build.
I think I might get off my ass and take some pictures for today's update now.
-Chris.k

Last edited:
Hey guys,
sorry I didn't post anything yesterday. My dad thought he would finally teach me to weld so my afternoon was full.
IMG_2207[1].JPG
Trust me if any of you haven't welded before, it is WAY harder than it looks on your first go!
Any way considering I was in the shed today practicing my weld lines I thought now would be a good time to get some work done.
First thing I did was do a bit of detail work on the shoulder cap. while filling with no more gaps its hard to see if you filled the line marks properly because of the color contrast, so I gave it a coat of black to see show proper distinction between the filling and the foam. I was only too P.O'd to find that the no more gaps shrunk while it dried, looks like one more layer should do it though. I then started to screw around with my soldering iron on it but I was pretty happy with the outcome.
IMG_2196[1].JPG
After that I began doing some work on the internal structure.
IMG_2197[1].JPG
I used 3 mill MDF to brace the convex of the chest because it was the hardest flexible material I could find besides 1-3 mill acrylic, but i went with MDF because it was cheaper and I didn't have enough acrylic. Im starting to think though that I should change it because acrylic has a greater tensile strength than MDF and is less likely to snap, I've already seen some hairline splits start to appear so I might revisit this section. as for the strapping system I will add more padding and back cushioning because at this point the back plate digs into your spine and its hard to stand straight.

I have a helmet in the works at the moment it should be finished in 1-2 days so I'll post pictures when that's done.

Also as I have stated before,
I have decided from now I will be doing an Ultramarine, but if you guys have some Ideas feel free to post them even some custom color schemes would be cool.
I may change my mind on what chapter to do because I haven't done much on the symbols yet but the reason I feel strongly towards Ultramarines is because if anyone here plays 40k you will remember the first time you go to games workshop they give you a model to paint and its an Ultramarine. so Its kind of nostalgic and kind of because I mainly collect Space marines and Imperial guard.

One more note,
I started a while ago on an MA5 assault rifle from HALO Reach so I will be doing it on and off until its finished. this will set posting for this thread back to about once every 2 to even 4 days depending on circumstance. Here are some pictures of what I'm up to so far: (its nearly finished so it will only take about 1 more week)
IMG_2199[1].JPG (sorry don't know how to flip pictures yet!)
I will make a thread soon for this and put up some of the templates I've used. I'll post a link soon.

Thats all for today, tune in tomorrow (or possibly Friday) to see pics of the helmet and some other crap. Until next time.
-Chris.k

BROTHERS UNITE FOR THE IMPERIUM.
in your own homes, separately.

Hey guys,
sorry about the long break. We ended up going away for an extended weekend so I couldn't work on the build.
but today we did a bit of work on the cod and abs area, I did the internal structure and made a strap system that hooks up to the torso.
I don't know how to post photos on my phone yet so you will have to wait till tomorrow to see them.
until next time,
-Chris.k

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back