WardWorks's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Assassin's Creed Templar Knight

WardWorks

Who doesn't want to be a knight? I decided on the Templar Knight from Assassin's Creed... imitation and flattery.

This would easily be my most indepth costume for Halloween. Last year I learned sewing, this year making chain mail working with foam, and hopefully weathering if I can finish in time.

I started with the chain mail. I've always wanted chain mail.
15chainmaildone.jpg
I had no idea what I was getting myself into. This took MONTHS! I'm estimating 15k rings, and I wouldn't mind adding a few more rows to the bottom. The rings were a 'barn pull' and already have surface rust and a nice aged color- all natural.
Buying finished chain mail outright doesn't seem so overpriced now. At least I find comfort that I'm the talk of the town. No drive through for me. I always eat in at McDonald's now, just to show it off. If you want to read more on the how, Chainmail Hauberk.

IMG_4460.JPG
Leather bracers. I took a bit of liberty with them. I opted for craft foam over leather. I've never worked with foam and didn't want to pay for leather. I've had many people ask where I found leather bracers, and nothing intimidates better in a street fight than leather look bracers, Come at me, bro. and discover the how power.

The tunic was my second sewing project after last year's two face suit. I made a pattern with paper, not knowing what I was doing. I used 100% linen ivory suiting. It looks perfect. I used a scrap piece and dyed it for the cross. I made it double thick for it to hang right (my opinion), I also double stiched the seams. It's pretty heavy, which I feel it should be.

IMG_4453.JPG

IMG_4455.JPG

I bought the boots. I used shoe polish to match the sole color to the actual shoe. I also plan to weather them, with the rest of the costume.

** Reserved for boot images.

I purchased a brown fabric with a diamond pattern for the pants padding. Don' think I'll get that together before the big day.

I also purchased a form fitting gray undershirt for under the chain mail.

When I got to the belts, my enthusiasm began to subside. A custom belt that is game accurate was going to cost more than I wanted to pay. After a period of indecision, I instead faked it with belts I had lying around, and a sword I happened to have. I'm hoping weathering the belt buckle and sword will help it fit. I don't know if it's how clean they are or the fact the sword just doesn't match the costume very well. The fact is, if I want a sword this is the only option.

** Reserved for belt and sword images.

The helmet has not been started, but is crucial to the costume. It will be a foam build, as I don't have any other means. The end of this week better see it completed to give me time to weather, as I've never tried any of those effects. I do have the pattern drawn out. I just need to cut it, glue it, and paint it.

** Edit
The helmet has progressed, though it still isn't done. Decided to make it out of plastic despite never having worked with it. I'm hoping this weekend is productive as I'm getting down to the wire.

IMG_4753.JPG

The helmet is done! I had never worked with plastic before and I had never attempted to weather anything, but I'm very happy with what I learned and the results.

IMG_4752.JPG

Here is a pic of the shoulder guards, I built them in tandem with the helmet.
IMG_4765.JPG

Here's to hoping I finish and get some great shots. I'm starting to plan locations.

**edit

Here is the proof pic.
P1020070x.jpg

Photoshoot is set for Saturday. I found a stone bell tower =) Gallery pic will follow.

Here is the final shot, with a few more at the link.

submission0143.JPG

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed the ride.

Last edited:
Re: WardWorks's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Assassin's Creed Templar Knigh

WardWorks

This entry just needs a proof pic and a pic in the gallery. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: WardWorks's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Assassin's Creed Templar Knigh

Perserverance. This is an excellent job!

Ha! Your proof pic is hilarious. Nice job.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back