WardWorks Skyrim Dragon Priest 2015 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

WardWorks

fullshot.jpgdagger2re.jpg
I really like the dragon priest masks, so I made a costume around it and was Morokei. I wanted to make the staff, but knew I wouldn't have time for the daggers and a staff and wanted daggers more.
I was a Ghostbuster last year, and a Templar Knight the year before that. And even Two-Face and Shaun of the Dead.

Daggers
P1040569.jpgP1040253.jpg

The original dagger was 1/4" MDF, 3/4" plywood, plastic and body filler scaled from an in game image to about 22" overall length. I couldn't find any profile images, so guessed at the depths. I then created a mold and cast it. This was my first time making a mold and I made a few mistakes, the main one was not using mold release between the silicone rubber pours. After fixing that, I cold cast the pair of daggers and added weathering. I've made a lot of daggers since then (I just can't stop!).
I used Mold Max 10 and Smoothcast 325, dusting the mold with bronze powder. For the in depth process, check out my blog post.

Robe
P1040344.jpg
P1040804.jpg
I used a linen material, basing the pattern on in game images. I started with what was in essence a sleeveless dress with a zipper down the front. I then sewed the cape to that. The hood and strip down the front that covers the zipper is a separate piece. I dyed it wine and then black to approximate the in-game color. It still came out a little light.
The leather mesh cape is sewn to the robe. I used scrap leather strips and brads.
The belt is scrap leather, D-rings, and chicago screws.

Armor
P1040674.jpgP1040717.jpg

The armor and bracers are EVA foam. I approximated the size of the armor. From the waist down the plates are rigged with nylon strapping so they can flex. I used elastic banding for the bracers.

Mask
P1040662.jpg
The final scaled a bit too large. I took a cheap plastic mask and built on top of it. I would have liked more time for finishing, but with Halloween approaching I had to start the mold.
This was my first time slush casting and ended up with a mask that has a very thick middle. Then next time it will turn out better (and not 3 pounds!). I epoxied d-rings to the mask and attached leather straps.

Conclusion
I had a lot of fun learning how to mold and cast- plenty of learning through mistakes and experience. I wish the mask had been better scaled & that the cast came out better and the robe looked dirtier, but maybe next year I won't be working right up until Halloween (though I say that every year). The daggers are easily my favorite part of the costume.
P1040803.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back