Warcraft Alliance Soldier

kwalsh0000

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Since I seen the WETA Warcraft armor I was hooked! (1:6th figure shown tho)
127250995_zpsqnclfvme.jpg

So..I decided to make it!

Helmet 90% done then the armor will be started.
0153836463852082_8382269941546412391_n_zpsjhjw6rrm.jpg

0153836463942082_2598181110252935934_n_zpsxkhldax9.jpg

0153836463912082_4673369471376958814_n_zpsj8y6rof4.jpg

Yes! I was hoping someone was going to do this. I want to make Anduin Lothor but might have been talked into Paladin tier 2 instead. Great work! can't wait to see the rest.

Is it just the angle or are those some enourmous greaves on the 1/6 scale figure :confused

armor in WoW isnt realy know to be decent sized. enough armor is used in schoulder pads alone that would make a full metal armor suit in real life. looks right in game but kinda silly in 3d figures.

ps awesome build, cant wait to see it done

armor in WoW isnt realy know to be decent sized. enough armor is used in schoulder pads alone that would make a full metal armor suit in real life. looks right in game but kinda silly in 3d figures.

ps awesome build, cant wait to see it done

I know WoW is infamous for that, but I see most figures adjusted to some extent where the anatomy of the armor isn't THAT extreme. Everything from the knees up looks very reasonable to me in the picture.

Thanks all! I hope to mold the helmet soon, clean up and wet sand a cast smoother and re mold.

The greaves do look huge, i may or may not scale them down a tiny bit.

I have started templates for the gauntlets and will make the basic armor shape in sintra/foamex and supplement it with either clay or apoxie sculpt for details then mold.

I'm nearly finished the shoulder armor and bicep over lapping armor (pics soon of that) but did some rough casts in plaster of the forearm. I still need to add the centre line down the top of the gauntlet (didnt notice it was there until after I molded it)

12565491_10153938247052082_4647698491906263875_n.jpg

Can't argue with WETA providing awesome armor designs.
I'm no Warcraft expert but I wouldn't necessarily scale down the greaves. It's what makes the armor look warcraft-ish without the ridiculously huge pieces from in-game.
Blizzard designs have these bulky, comic-style armor pieces as others have already mentioned and it's what distinguishes their work from other fantasy franchises. You might end up looking like some generic knight dude if you scale down some parts.

What material do you use for the helmet in the first post and the gauntlet ?

Awesome! We're a group of guys working on the same project. I LOVE the design, in all its over-dimensioned glory!
Looking forward to seeing your progress further!

You are right FrontaLittle, I will probably end up leaving them a little on the large size and worst case if they inhibit movement I will scale them down.

The helmet was sculpted in Chavant medium, same as the gauntlet but with a base of styrene as an armature to save clay.
Protocol great to hear more working on it aswell. My helmet was sent off to a friend for molding while I focus on the rest of the armor. I want this to be smooth so I am doing throw away molds to get one cast to really smooth down and then recast again.

So far arms are almost done (gauntlet bottom/tops, gloves, ridged bicep armor and shoulder). Shoulders just need some re defining then I will be modifying it for left and right use as they are the same base.

I started on the lions head belt before i had better reference (the 1/6th figure has nice clear shots but the lines on the lions head do not match the full scale one). This was kind of a mix between both of them but now I found better shots of the full scale I will modify it.

Posts will be slow as I normally get to work on it from 11pm to 2am a couple nights a week

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to hijack your thread, so I can take it down if you want, but I figured I could post a picture of our helmet. I'm pretty much in the exact same position, with the helmet going into molding this week.

12694667_1049604515090569_7923769283071384788_o.jpg

Right now we're debating on how to do the shoulders. Since we're a large group, the best would be to just vacform them, but they are really big, and I don't have the money for any serious tooling of the bucks right now. Will probably end up with foam and worbla, even though I'm much more of a cast/vac-guy.
Are you sculpting the shoulders as well? My main issue with the is the larger left pauldron, with the vertical part. Its way to big and clunky to make on the cheap.

You are not hijacking at all..honestly..I like your helmet better than mine! :) Must do a swap wen the casts are done.

For a large group vacuform would be the cheapest and fastest alright. I am going with the casting option myself, I did a rough cast of my shoulder sculpt and its a bit too big in one area so I am trimming it down and then will use it to remold make the other 3 shoulder sections as they are all the same base expect for the vertical part as you say, so the vertical parts will be separate casts which are attached afterwards.

Once i get the helmet back I will start making the captains version too.

Be sure to post more pictures of your build!

I wore this armour on the movie for a couple of months, the greaves were really that huge. The greaves, knees and boots were all connected into one piece that we just slipped on. They were built on a base of a pair of vinyl riding boots. Like these 41TJ2kJp0EL._AC_UL320_SR252,320_.jpg

Thanks Zeppo, that is actually very useful info and will really help me determine how to approach the legs.

I have made alot more progress on the chest armor etc) but I have only a couple of rough shots (i am terrible at taking pics of my progress)
10153996230142082_479521452203307180_n_zps7gr51bdp.jpg

0153996230037082_1753689426759116980_n_zpsbda8jg4u.jpg

Finally an update. A friend offered to mold the helmet and to put it bluntly, 3 months later i got it back with the master sculpt in pieces im told and one very warped cast, so ive had to rebuild it with aves apoxy sculpt and bondo an reshape. It took alot of my interest away but with the premiere moved up to the 30th of this month i have 19 days left and want to get it done!

Here is where i am at now; molding starts this week. The shoulders will be done as basic casts and ill add onto them
Still to make : Hanging thigh plate, greave, finish lion head and back piece (this will be a single sintra piece) and the others will be molded.

http://s747.photobucket.com/user/kwalsh000/media/warcraftarmor2_zpsxsemtivq.jpg.html

I'm currently looking into building one of these myself. I've bought all the cloth and material I need. Unfortunately the movie armor hides all the fabric work under the plate and chain-mail. If anybody knows what the heck they are wearing under the chain and plate that'd be fantastic. I think its a tabbard with a long tunic. Its a peculiar design because the lower front has multiple layers so sewing it all into a tunic would be hard.That or it all attaches to the belt which would be a bugger because having a costume you can wear without the chain-mail and plate would be better.

5c38ec13a02e16640f95d3914c917798.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back