WARCRAFT(2016) Alliance Foot Soldier

Burt

Hey there,

I'm Burt. I've been wanting to make a Warcraft costume for a long time, it's my favorite game/franchise

I really like the simple style and look of the Alliance Soldiers from the movie.

Boerb shared his 3D printing files.
Files: Warcraft Movie Foot Soldier Armor 3D Models [Added Download Link]

I'm using the PropStoreAuction's images as reference.
References: 1 2

I started with the helmet. It was an extremely good print on my Monoprice Maker Select with PLA. Perfect fit, great smooth prints.

bZgDYYh.jpg

wNPwi6X.jpg

PLA prints, to smooth I used filler primer and bondo spot putty. Sand, rinse repeat.

6GNSLxb.jpg

sand smooooooth. nothing wrong with the print, just my own impatience to get layers of filler primer on

K7OYn41.jpg

threw on a light layer of paint, I'm impatient, I wanted to see the color, then sanded again and this picture is after its been rinsed.

E2Rsxuf.jpg

ay8tlMm.jpg

'installed' the nails or tacks, not sure what the proper name is called. These are 'brass tacks' found at Hobby Lobby in the wood isle, pretty great find. I clipped the stem off, and glued each tack on.

This is currently where the helmet is. I need to do another light sanding/bondo on the tacks and I think this is ready for paint. I have a blue wig to use as the tassel that I can't wait to destroy and put into the back of the helmet.

cXe3w8u.jpg

Here's the finger armor. They've been painted with a base matte metallic nickel. I need to do the gold trim which will be painted by hand. I didn't spend a whole ton of time on these, a lot of their 'flaws' will be hidden by the plates themselves and some weathering. I still have a lot of work to do, drill holes into each one, and figure out my strapping system for these, which I will probably do similar to how Weta did theirs on the Propstoreauction's images.

p.s they sound really satisfying when they 'clink' together.

rz1XE0H.jpg

17 hour print on the top side of the gauntlet. This print didn't adhear as well to the print bed(you can see a bit of stringing there), luckily it didn't affect the print at all except for the very tip, which can just be sanded out and is really easy to fix.

FavYd9i.jpg

Top/Bottoms of left gauntlet. or right, its hard to tell which is which. This is 3DSolutech's PastelBlue PLA 1.75, great stuff.

kzjU05p.jpg

Handplates/tops of thumbs are ready for paint, and the other side of the gauntlet needs some more sanding.

Printing more parts as I type this and will have more updates soon :)

Thanks for reading.

-Burt

Last edited:
Hey there,

I'm Burt. I've been wanting to make a Warcraft costume for a long time, it's my favorite game/franchise

-Burt

Somewhere your Halo suit cries in agony....

Joking aside, the start is looking awesome m8!!! I think I saw some of your posts before on the 405th .
Keep up the good work!

-Hopli

Small update

Helmet has basically been finished. I took this photo before weathering, and am currently weathering it now.

For any one making this costume, don't make the mistake I did, finish ALL of your painting first before you install your plume. I got excited and installed it before I weathered lol.

The plume is just a cheap, $8 blue wig from amazon. I cut the 'bangs' off the front, and essentially took electrical tape to make a kind of tight plug, and pushed it into the top plastic. Hot glue to secure it in place.

View attachment 829364

Working on boots, gauntlets and strapping the hands still.

View attachment 829365

This is looking awesome, thanks for sharing!

I played one of the foot soldiers in the movie and am working on building this armor too. I'm also on the gloves now and can share my strapping template if that would be helpful. About to sew the strapping now, then weather and attach the armor pieces.

warcraft_gauntlet_soldier_alliance.JPG

Last edited:
This is looking awesome, thanks for sharing!

I played one of the foot soldiers in the movie and am working on building this armor too. I'm also on the gloves now and can share my strapping template if that would be helpful. About to sew the strapping now, then weather and attach the armor pieces.

That is AWESOME! How did the armor feel when you wore it? Did you have to run around in it? I'm curious how it was all strapped together. Could you tell me about your experience? I'd love to hear as much as you'd want to share :D

I have a lot more updates!

Helmet is finished

GCeROe0.jpg

opI3w1d.jpg

Left is armor from the movie, right is my helmet. Pretty close!

Db5cs1d.jpg

Both shins are printed. Both boots are finished. (except for a few details I'm waiting to add once shins are complete)

Here's a video of the hands/wrist armor. Both are finished: BURT From Project Props on Instagram: “Both gauntlets and hands are finished! I had to make my own buckles for this, so I 3D modeled them and printed a few up. It’s hard to film…”

gGnsJkB.jpg

The backplate is printed and being worked on now. Its a dead-on perfect fit :)

ASzEAX8.jpg

Chest diamond... reminds me of an oversized Mandalorian :) The front of the chest is almost finished. Just a few more pieces.

wpxx3oW.jpg

My work table in the garage. So much sanding to do.

VbxT0b9.jpg

Worked on the skirt last night. It's pretty close. I kind of adjusted the design a bit so it was easier for me to sew. These aren't finished. I ran out of gold trim. I used 15ft here. I need another roll of each kind.

yrj1rA7.jpg

Here's the pattern I made, feel free to copy. I kind of eye balled it. Bellybutton to my knees and measured vertically.

I've got the belt, thigh plates and shoulders ready and sized for printing, they are in the queue and all that is left. So far so good :)

Last edited:
That is AWESOME! How did the armor feel when you wore it? Did you have to run around in it? I'm curious how it was all strapped together. Could you tell me about your experience? I'd love to hear as much as you'd want to share :D

I was called for a fitting for a movie codenamed “Lost In Gastown”. The first thing they pulled out was a black Underarmor shirt and the blue underpinning. Once I had that on they brought in a pair of the boots to try on. I was like holy crap these are huge and amazing. I started seeing the rest of the suit come in piece by piece and when I saw the lion belt, I knew it was a Warcraft movie. The Wardrobe people took a few pics and I remember throwing the double thumbs up and other goofy poses.

A couple months later, I was called to set. Drove out to an Ikea parking lot and took a shuttle to an abandoned paper mill. There was a small army of wardrobe crew helping the foot soldiers put everything on in a tent outside. We sat in plastic foldable chairs for a few hours and I remember my butt hurting a lot from all the extra weight. Later, we went onto set and everyone is in total amazement. A slightly sloped, football sized dirt field with ferns and other vegetation planted in it. Surrounded by massive green screens, floor to ceiling and a walkway around the perimeter.

All of the foot soldiers lined up at the top of the hill and then horses and stunt people rolled in. After some extensive set up, we started doing shots of running from one side to the other, then hiking back uphill for the next take. It was definitely a challenge doing that with about 50 lbs of urethane armor, weapons and chainmail. I remember running behind an ATV with a camera strapped to the back of it and inhaling tons of gunsmoke from the stunt people in front of me.

I nearly tripped a few times and some other guys started quitting. One extra even got sidelined by an armored horse at full speed which was intense. We ended up being upgraded to Special Abilities Extras, which was pretty sweet.

I wasn’t paying too much attention to the craftsmanship of the armor at the time, but the suit is strapped together with leather, rivets and purse feet. Adam Savage’s video has a couple clear shots of what’s going on under the hood and all the propstore pictures are amazing.

Stoked to see more progress of your armor, coming together very nicely!

Attachments

• shoulder_under.jpeg
    shoulder_under.jpeg
    700.6 KB · Views: 362
Been working on a few 3d models, the Lance and the Sword to go with this for when i get around to printing. Still working on some details but they are coming along. I used the Prop store images for sizing.

I've released a much less detailed version of this sword on thingi. Hopefully ill finish it soon.
aiV2TCA.jpg
n8bZXTd.jpg
VEkj0Gm.jpg

Glad to see someone else working on this, ideally id love to have mine done for Dragon Con 2019 but im also building an RX-24 droid that i've modeled so once that is finished printing i will start on this print.

Sorry I haven't been updating this. davegtv I really appreciate you taking the time to answer, I read your reply when you first responded I just havent commented in a bit. Super informative and I appreciate it so much! Acathla that looks amazing! I might have to print that up as well!

I haven't been taking very good pictures, I did manage to get some decent progress. My biggest hold up and hurdle has been the shoulders. While I wanted to have it screen accurate... it just wasn't realistic for my uses. I rarely have a handler when I wear costumes, and I wanted to be sure I was self sufficient in this armor. Yea, I know "but.. you should really get a handler..." I know. I just feel so bad asking my friends, I dont want to be a burden.

So my goal was the shoulders and chest to be able to slip on and off easily. I need to be able to do it myself. The movie uses leather, and buckles, which I tried on my first attempt.. but the buckles I have were too big, and poked my shoulders, and I just have the wrong leather. Its too thin so it would stretch. Woops, wrong on two fronts. But, the buckles failed my usage, I can't put it on solo or take it off.

So what can I do? I took nylon strapping (the kind on back packs, just basic black 1") and used that to have a small strip to clam shell the chest piece. So that just slips over my head, and the sides will simply velcro together (those will be leather, havent added them yet). I kind of copied Davegtv's image above but only have one strip down the shoulders, and its also the same strapping. I used screws / hotglue / superglue (all 3 lol, lets hope it lasts) to attach the shoulders together, and each shoulder loops to the small strip that clamshells the chest, I hope this makes sense.
It works pretty well.

Here are a few pictures I took. I am most likely not using chainmail.... it just adds too much weight lol. I'm considering cutting this shirt down that you see in the pics and use sections for what I need (i mean, i would need to regardless)

SQfp1PV.jpg

Y0XuEMu.jpg

ESO4DbI.jpg

gRmgA85.jpg

HmyBVOG.jpg

DoA9FC2.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back