WAR OF THE WORLDS War Machine: Ideas?

Tremas

Master Member
A couple of years ago I snagged a Pegasus 'War of the Worlds' George Pal-era War Machine that's been sitting in the box for a while.
Well, I've finally decided to let the bad boy see light this summer, and decided to start it this year. Any tips on assembly/painting, would be appreciated, as I LOVE this ship, and want to try and keep the screwing up to a minimum. :D
BTW, I'm not planning on lighting it. At least not this one. :)

Assembly is as simple as it gets for pretty much a quick and dirty snap-kit. If you didn't get the bronze chromed version, you should definitely fill in the separation lines before painting with a good bronze paint and then attach the clear colored parts last - they should pop right in and you could even add a little glue to the assembly plugs to keep them in place once installed.

Assembly is as simple as it gets for pretty much a quick and dirty snap-kit. If you didn't get the bronze chromed version, you should definitely fill in the separation lines before painting with a good bronze paint and then attach the clear colored parts last - they should pop right in and you could even add a little glue to the assembly plugs to keep them in place once installed.

The fit's actually pretty good, so filling should be a breeze.
I was considering the hammered copper for the finish, just to be different; but, maybe I'll save that for the next one.

If I can convince my wife that I *NEED* another one! :D

I definitely recommend the light kit. It powers up and cycles through a firing sequence. And it adds a creepy green glow to the landscape below the kit!!

I'm currently doing the Tripod from the Cruise version, but I did the old school ship a few years ago, and it was a blast!! I too would recommend the light kit from VoodooFx, it really brings it to life!!! The kit fits together and displays so nicely, and has always been a favorite! Here's mine:
I added an alien hand to the display base that I made out of Sculpee!
IMG_9750.jpg

IMG_9755.jpg

IMG_9759.jpg

I added a few LED's inside the base...
IMG_9763.jpg

Thanks Karl!

I'll see your diorama and raise you a 25 watt sound system with sub-woofer.

:lol

My buddy sampled a bunch of the war-machine-destroys-everything sounds, cleaned them up digitally, and made a looping digital track. I play it on a CD player hooked to a three-speaker system next to the diorama.

That's right.

NOW WHAT? :lol

Thanks Karl!

I'll see your diorama and raise you a 25 watt sound system with sub-woofer.

My buddy sampled a bunch of the war-machine-destroys-everything sounds, cleaned them up digitally, and made a looping digital track. I play it on a CD player hooked to a three-speaker system next to the diorama.

That's right.

NOW WHAT? :lol

Look out, kids! Got us a WotW Throw-Down a-brewin'! :D

Yes. I have taken out the black glove and smacked all other comers in the face.

SMACK!

Let's see what ya got!!!

I am thinking about also doing the scene where the machine is parked next to the barn and farmhouse and has the probe extended. If you look at the movie closely, you will see that the grass is on fire and is smoking where the legs hit the ground. Neat!

I might use acrylic rods with green lasers firing through them to simulate the legs. with LEDs hidden in three spots in the grass base to simulate the sparks and fire.

A friend and I did a test set-up and it looks groovy.

Yes. I have taken out the black glove and smacked all other comers in the face.

SMACK!

Let's see what ya got!!!

I am thinking about also doing the scene where the machine is parked next to the barn and farmhouse and has the probe extended. If you look at the movie closely, you will see that the grass is on fire and is smoking where the legs hit the ground. Neat!

I might use acrylic rods with green lasers firing through them to simulate the legs. with LEDs hidden in three spots in the grass base to simulate the sparks and fire.

A friend and I did a test set-up and it looks groovy.

:D :D :D

The rods for the legs sounds like a good way to go; love the idea of a support system that's integrated into the kit like that. :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back