War of the Worlds Tripod finished w/lighting

Tim Nolan

I just finished this one last weekend. Enhanced lighting kit from VoodooFx plus some fiber optics details. The base features "burning" car, building ruins and debris fields....flickering LED's worked out great. (snatched them from some 6 buck "votive candles I got at Michaels!) Nice kit. It's for sale on ebay right now.

013-3.jpg

014-3.jpg

016-2.jpg

I replaced the kit tentacles with ones made from .50mm fiber optic strand which was heated and shaped, then painted, worked out well....Thanks to Randy for that one!

019-3.jpg

022-3.jpg

023-3.jpg

026-2.jpg

028-2.jpg

030-2.jpg

That is the 1/144 kit from pegasus.
How on earth did you get that wiring in there, did you run wires up the leg, or is it all internal.
It's a great kit but those legs are a little too small for drilling out and the body would be too heavy for internal power I think.
I was going to start this kit for my next project but couldn't wrap my head head around the wiring setup.

That's some incredible detail on that kit. Your lighting makes it stand out and adds more realism to the whole thing. Plus the base...very cool. You deserve some kudos here!

Too cool. I'd love to see a shot or two in complete dark with lots of smoke! Bet it would be terrifying!!! So happy to see all these Sci-Fi kits out there, and actually getting attention in the modeling media (just got a Fine Scale Modeler with a great reveiw!).

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yes, this thing is the true meaning of stuffing ten pounds of s#*t in a five pound bag!!! You can view build photos on my photobucket site to see the internals of it all....

Tripod from War of the Worlds pictures by Finktim - Photobucket

The upper leg areas ARE hollow, and I was able to drill thru them and run the wiring. It's only when you get to the lower leg segment that you can't go any further. I exited at the rear, glued it to the back of the leg and painted over it, hides it fairly well. As for the rest, you do have to do a lot of cutting and drilling up inside there to allow for wiring/LED positioning and the power board. It was tough, but I feel well worth the effort.

I watched this movie over and over to look at the details in the CG machines, and they are just creepy as hell. I'd hate to see one of them coming my direction!! Discussion amongst friends brought us all to the same conclusion, we wouldn't be standing there trying to figure out what it was, we'd be running as fast as we could!!!!! LOL!! (There is NOTHING good coming from a 100 ft. tall alien machine with legs and tentacles!!) :eek

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back