War of the Worlds Martian (custom design)

Yarko

Hello!

I'm currently working on somethign for my gf. She is studying journalism and has been told to record a fake news report for a subject. She chose to make a War of the Worlds special report about the arrival and opening of the Martian cylinders, and asked me to make the special effects. We are building a scale model of the terrain with the cylinder, and a puppet of the Martian, with cable-operated tentacles.

So, this topic will be about the Martian puppet. First of all, I had to come up with an interesting design, specially considering that I really love the book since I was a kid but hate all the movie designs for the creatures. I made 5 different sketches before I found what I wanted:

The first one was a classic approach to the H.G. Wells description:

marciano5001.jpg

My gf said it looked too cute, and I though I could do better. So I tried to make a more detailed and creppy version of the same idea, adding some kind of "shell" which would be some kind of Martian space suit:

marciano4001.jpg

I liked this one, but it wasn't what I was looking for. Looked too much like a sea creature. I made a third one without the shell but using the same idea for the face. She really wanted to use this one, but I hated the face (it reminded me of a snake... not the look I wanted)

marciano3001.jpg

So I made a fourth drawing changing the snake face for a more insect-like which felt way more alien and scary. I really liked this one... but somehow, it has a "meat ball" feel that didn't make it look like an intelligent creature, just some dirty bug.

marciano2001.jpg

I decided that in order to look intelligent and menacing, it would need to be upright, not squashed. So I made the fifth and final design, which I instantly loved. By the way, I drew the fifth Martian at the cinema while I was waiting for The Avengers to start!

marciano001.jpg

Here you have photos of the tentacle mechanism. It's rather simple. I will record a video tutorial showing how to build one:

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

And now, the sculpt taking shape. I'm using chavant medium for this:

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

And this is a test of what the opening logo for the news report might look like (It's a video, click to watch)

Last edited:
Re: War of the Worlds Martian puppet (custom design)

New pics of the sculpt. It may be finished yet unless I decide to change stuff. After I make a mould and a casting, I will add all the tentacles

IMG_2586.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

Re: War of the Worlds Martian (new pics, finished and painted!)

About 30 cm long (That's 11 inches)

Re: War of the Worlds Martian (new pics, finished and painted!)

I am a big War of the Worlds fan also. I absolutely love the fact that you put the design into his chest...

take care,
Tommy

I made this a couple of months ago:

Marciano.jpg

I'm going to the Jeff Wayne's 'The New Generation' live concert this saturday at London (O2 Arena)!!!

tumblr_m7ol4kmPEm1rndawpo1_500.gif

Looks great. I love the chest design too. I'm also glad to see that the WOW news report hasn't been forgotten by people outside the usual fandom. I wouldn't mind seeing the live concert. I have Wayne's original on cd and the newer remix.

I study journalism on the university, and last year I had one subject in wich I have to do a simulate New Program . Because doing an "normal" program was very boring, we decided to do the War Of The Worlds News :popcorn

And this is our result. We are not actors, we aren't video editors and aren't profesionals (and the budget wasn't more that 50$) . But I get very proud of the result, and we got the best note of the class. The only drawback is that we made it in our primary languaje: spanish.

Informativo La Guerra de los Mundos - YouTube

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back