Wanting to get started

SoujiDesigns

I have been watching a lot of Adam Savage's videos on the cosplay and replica props he makes, so I was wanting to get into doing that. I was wondering what I would need to start doing costume and prop making (mostly Anime and Video Game props), also how much would it cost to get into it and get the tools for it. I have no experience in anything like this, nor do I own any tools beside a hammer so I would also need tips on what tools I would need. If you have any tutorials I could check out that would also be very kind of you (Video would be best I am a visual learner.)

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Read as much as you can from here. Decide what medium you would like to work with. Google as much as you can on the said medium, youtube also would be helpful. Then read some more and then when in doubt ask. Good luck buddy...GM

Yep. Read, watch, research! :)

To make anything the first thing you need is to want to be able to do it, and it sounds like you've got that down. the next thing you need is to have a specific thing you want to make, then find as much reference as possible. study the reference, take measurements and then research the best methods to use.
Methods and materials are arguably the hard part, since that's where the majority of research and practice comes in - though this website is one of the best hubs for finding out everything you could ever want to know in choosing the stuff you want to learn to work with. You can sculpt and mould, fabricate using foam, pepakura, thermoplastic, wood, resins, modify existing toys/clothing... all sorts of stuff, then there's a huge range of techniques to use within those areas themselves.
Start where you feel most comfortable, try some cheaper methods first then just keep trying stuff until you hit on what works for you.

It's not easy, but if you love it enough to persevere then you'll make some stuff you're proud of. Good luck!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back