Want to put together a Doctor Who costume... 10th Doctor

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Jedi Bailinkski, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Jedi Bailinkski

Jedi Bailinkski Well-Known Member

I have come to where I am sure I will find the experts on this idea. I want to start a costume for the 10th Doctor.

Can someone point me in the right direction to start? I am no a small guy, so I will be looking for something that I can fit in. I know that may make it harder and more expensive, but what fun is it if you don't plan to wear it?

Also any idea on how much I am going to be out by the end? I know the sonic's can get quite pricey, but overtime I think I can manage all of it.

2. Jedi Bailinkski

3. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

If you use the search button, you will find a wealth of information about 10's outfit. Unfortunately, there is no single thread, as there is for TDK Joker, but this topic does seem to come up every couple of weeks.

To summarise though, the best fabric by far for the brown suit comes from Magnoli Clothiers (the blue is not quite so spot on - here is my thread about a re-dye. One of these days I'm going to get my youtube channel up and post reviews of the blue and brown suits. http://www.therpf.com/f24/dyed-blue-magnoli-fabric-114387/ )

Magnoli also sells the replica ties as these are not available off-the-shelf and are all long discontinued. The off-white converse however are still in production.

4. thorneyboy

thorneyboy Well-Known Member

5. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, having it custom tailord either by Baron Boutique or Magnoli is the way to go!
    Fortunately, this costume is popular enough where there are several options available to you.

6. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

All the info you could ever hope for about putting together a 10th Doctor costume can be found here:

Tenth Doctor Breakdown

This'll give you a wide range of options on each piece of the costume.

GeneralFROSTY likes this.
  7. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, to E-Wan you listen!

8. Jedi Bailinkski

Thank you all, this gives me a great start. Now to choose which way to go.

9. Jedi Bailinkski

Thank you for the link. If I ever get a paid membership I'll pass you some rep points.

10. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

Half the battle is getting the fit right, IMHO. One thing to remember is that the jacket is short.

11. Punchbuggyblues

Punchbuggyblues Active Member

Completely agree with Dave on the fit. My brown jacket fits a a normal jacket, but it needs to be about an inch shorter and a bit narrower in the shoulders to look like 10's.

12. Jedi Bailinkski

Copy that. I'll put some funds together and post up some pictures when I start getting stuff in.

Thanks again!

13. johnny5676

johnny5676 Active Member

as it is hard to find the off-white converse (atleast itt is where i live) you can always go fir the black and white as seen in rise of the cybermen

14. Punchbuggyblues

The natural white chucks are a core color and are easy to get a hold of online. The maroon ones are out of production and getting hard to find. Their replacement color is... just not right

15. Jedi Bailinkski

I think I am going to order one of the off white. Here is the link I am going to order Converse

16. Punchbuggyblues

Zappos will save you some money over the Converse site. Just make sure to get White rather than Optical White.

17. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Zappos just had 24 million users data stolen by hackers. I'd spend the extra bucks and go with the Converse site. :)

18. Creator8979

Creator8979 Member

Hey Guys! if you look here, Tennant Suit by Magnoli Clothiers
    the suit is available with a more accurate color for the blue suit.
    So, if you would like a blue suit that is accurate, you have the choice to buy this! Check it out, peace.

19. Jedi Bailinkski

Thanks for the link!

20. Creator8979

Creator8979 Member

Oh, btw, what are you going to do about the ties? Check out this site, in case you haven't already:
    www.magnoliclothiers.com
    Magnoli has 4 ties in production, all are for the brown suit. The Utopia tie and the Giorgio tie are in the wrong color though. The Hechter tie and the Swirly tie are 100% screen accurate though. Just giving you a heads up in case you didn't know, :cool

21. johnny5676

johnny5676 Active Member

what about the overcoat?

22. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you have that much to throw around for the overcoat, you might as well just order the Steve Ricks coat. Otherwise just stick to the much less expensive cosplaysky coat.

23. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Or, there's always these guys: Vented Long-Coat

[​IMG]
    Click for larger version.

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

24. DoctorWho63

DoctorWho63 New Member

This guy in Britain named Steven Ricks makes the trench coat tailored personally. He has the design mastered down to the seam. Look up his blog to get in contact with him. One of the pages is called Making My Ultimate Tennant Suit. You can search that to find it.

25. backstagejack1

backstagejack1 Well-Known Member

Steve will also allow you to do payment options in order to lessen the 1200 USD blow or 800GPB wherever you live.

I was able to find the M9613 Maroon Converse shoes eventually but it took alot of searching - while the color option might not be dead on it's a close as we're going to get without dying our own. I got them from this site - California Clothing

26. Risu

M9613 IS the correct color.

27. backstagejack1

well, that's what I typed into google and eventually this website came up. Hopefully they are good. 1 question though - maybe it's a case by case basis but I was told by multiple sources that converse fit a half size larger than what you normally wear. So, if you wear an 8 you ahve to order a 7.5. That is how I ordered fro this site. Hopefully that stands.

Either way. I was able to get these shoes with shipping for a total of 50 bucks, whereas some other sites I was having to pay up to 60 or more JUST for the shoes. This color is apparently fairly rare.

Now, I'm just debating on blowing 1200 on the Ricks coat.......

28. Risu

The Converse sizing does seem to run that way.

The Ricks coat is worth every penny, it just depends what your budget is.

29. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

The Ricks coat does look amazing. I own the Magnoli coat myself, and it's probably the favourite garment that I own. It's extremely comfortable too.

30. backstagejack1

Drats! The store emailed me. Half sizes are out....I suppose I should order up....to be safe.

31. backstagejack1

Received my chucks in the mail. Perfect coloring. Received several comments on them already. Don't have a tennant suit yet...but I wore them with a brown suit the other night at a Ballroom event. Went over well.

Sadly, my feet and knees are killing me from wearing them, even with inserts in, so maybe I'll just rock the converse's when I'm dressing up.....