K blaster kit - Blade Runner: 2049

jheilman

Sr Member
Spent a while researching and was hoping to get some feedback. I'd like an accurate finished piece or kit. I saw that a project began 3 years ago but has now closed for an all metal version. I found models-props.com, but read the thread about that, so... NO. Then saw a build thread on the kit from Tip Top Workshop. That's where I'm thinking of buying, but should I consider anyone else? I also searched for methods of recreating the carbon fiber pattern on the grip, but didn't find much. Can anyone link to tutorials on that? Thanx.

I thought this was a really well-done tutorial for the grips:

Blade Runner 2049 K's Blaster grip painting guide

I used that tutorial recently when repainting my K's blaster recently, and it worked perfectly. I used grey filler primer, wet sanded between coats, followed by satin black undercoat, again lightly wet sanded.

The taping takes time but is worth getting right. For the silver stages I used a light dusting of AK Interactive's 'steel' and 'aluminium' Xtreme Metal paints to give me a slightly different shade of silver for each alternating 'weave'.

Where the tutorial calls for the black laquer I subsituted instead Tamiya 'smoke', airbrushed on three thin coats, before finishing with three or four coats of Rustoleum 'gloss crystal clear', with the final coat going on pretty wet (but still light enough to avoid the dreaded runs!).

The final result looks perfect, I think (the photos below are a bit misleading - it looks a lot darker in person). The rest of the gun is mostly satin black with silver Rub'n'Buff weathering. The barrel is a glossier black with a Nato Black grilles.

0259B1D5-A368-4144-BEA5-B8E839573D3E.jpeg 1AB49407-9809-4477-8531-C1CBC62184A8_1_201_a.jpeg F207BD6E-11F9-4E05-9CE7-039BD13EAF33.jpeg 71C6AB7D-385A-42AC-BE6E-B4181FAC02A9.jpeg 227B4758-C9FF-4949-AD8A-75700B91E3AD_1_201_a.jpeg EA9C406A-F449-44A0-9BB2-FE275EA37EFC_1_201_a.jpeg

My blaster, by the way, is the rgriesbeck printed blaster referenced in stussy 's post above, with some minor modifications (see here). It's a fantastic kit. I was never 100% happy with my original painting, thinking it didn't do the kit justice, hence the repaint!

I have a few finished blasters from Andy (flyscriber) also. A photo of two them is below. They’re beauties. He chromes them before painting them for a real metal effect. If you’re interested in a finished piece, I’d recommend reaching out to him. Note that he handled the electronics for both blasters also.

Btw, the top blaster was assembled from a 3D printed resin kit by joatrash fx. His blaster used solenoid magnets to replicate the trigger mechanism of the screen used model Plus it has LEDs for the trigger guard. That run was complete over a year or two ago, but it was the only one on theRPF that provided full functionality like the screen used model. It is really nice. You could do a wtb post asking if any members are willing to part with their kit. Btw, if any part of the blaster looks wonky, its not because of joatrash or flyscriber. Rather, it’s because customs damaged it badly during transit, and I had to locate replacement parts and fix the damage. And my model making skills are nowhere near Andy’s skills.
The lower blaster might be from tiptop workshop. I believe it’s a cleaned up resin model, so no print lines to clean up. This one has LEDs in the trigger guard.

4EBE941D-CCA3-4BBE-8968-6BAE9FA854C4.jpeg

Last edited:
So, I'm back where I started. Not sure which to buy. Anyone care to offer an opinion of rgriesbeck vs. Tip Top Workshop? To my eye they look very similar. Both have great detail and offer lighting.

So, I'm back where I started. Not sure which to buy. Anyone care to offer an opinion of rgriesbeck vs. Tip Top Workshop? To my eye they look very similar. Both have great detail and offer lighting.
I will always choose resin over 3-D print. (I haven’t dealt with 3-D printed resin yet)
The well made resin kits offer higher quality detail with less prep work. The 3-D kits require a ton of sanding and can rarely be made to feel real.
I like to replace as much of a kit as I can with metal and resin is much easier to do that with. You can cut parts off and secure new ones far better than a 3-D kit.
if you’re just looking for a shelf decoration, here’s my rgriesbeck Samaritan. It looks good and feels pretty good after I added weight and the wooden grips.
D3B5309E-9222-450E-90D8-5381EF54B864.jpeg

And my rgriesbeck K’s blaster. But this was my first 3-D kit and I’ve not gotten around to doing the grip right.
3141D666-49C3-40B6-AC3B-F8E644FCC2B6.jpeg

Either way you’ll get a good looking kit, but I like to work with resin far more.

I have the Tip Top kits for Luv’s blaster and K’s now and I’m working on both. My plan is to hydro dip the carbon fibre handle on K’s.
Good luck.
Tom

Last edited:

Btw, the top blaster was assembled from a 3D printed resin kit by joatrash fx. His blaster used solenoid magnets to replicate the trigger mechanism of the screen used model Plus it has LEDs for the trigger guard. That run was complete over a year or two ago, but it was the only one on theRPF that provided full functionality like the screen used model. ...

The original version of that blaster was done in PLA. (The thing that made me most proud was that it was a PLA printed kit that did NOT need any filler-primers to hide the print lines- it could be done with sanding and regular primer!) Accuracy-wise I dare say that it still has details I've yet to see replicated on any other readily available version out there. The only real flaw the first version had was that it was a bit oversized, due to no one knowing the correct size back then.

1620570146594.png

1620571591880.png

1620571605293.png

I can still print an updated version of the blaster, (fewer parts, more accurate) but in resin. Still has screen functionality, but changed to fit a better solenoid. However, since I'm taking kind of a break from 3d printing new stuff, I won't have resin in the printer regularly. (One of the things I'm going to do is actually finish my own currently half-built K Blaster, haha.) There isn't enough left of my go-to resin to pull a new one off at the moment, but there could be enough of another (durable) type that I've been testing with pretty neat results that might work. I'd have to check. A friend recently asked me to help him out with a K Blaster; if that happens, a new cartridge would be cracked open and then it would be no problem.)

I believe Joatrash’s is the most accurate of the fan made replicas. Look at the handle, for example. Joatrash was spot on to the screen used version. I believe his version was the only one that captured the “fold” delineating the bottom third of the handle (see circled portion below). Another example is the quirky repetitive pattern on the grills on the barrel. If you examine everything closely, you’ll see that he captured subtle details that not everyone saw.

C35A038D-A27A-4C03-ADE1-4F0B67028AF0.jpeg

The original version of that blaster was done in PLA. (The thing that made me most proud was that it was a PLA printed kit that did NOT need any filler-primers to hide the print lines- it could be done with sanding and regular primer!) Accuracy-wise I dare say that it still has details I've yet to see replicated on any other readily available version out there. The only real flaw the first version had was that it was a bit oversized, due to no one knowing the correct size back then.

View attachment 1456294

View attachment 1456295

View attachment 1456296
I can still print an updated version of the blaster, (fewer parts, more accurate) but in resin. Still has screen functionality, but changed to fit a better solenoid. However, since I'm taking kind of a break from 3d printing new stuff, I won't have resin in the printer regularly. (One of the things I'm going to do is actually finish my own currently half-built K Blaster, haha.) There isn't enough left of my go-to resin to pull a new one off at the moment, but there could be enough of another (durable) type that I've been testing with pretty neat results that might work. I'd have to check. A friend recently asked me to help him out with a K Blaster; if that happens, a new cartridge would be cracked open and then it would be no problem.)

Last edited:
I finally finished up a new copy for myself, size and detail-corrected. Made it nice and dirt-worn. Grips were painted with the same method (from what I understand) as the screen blasters... no hydro-dipping or masking tape. I also like to matet down the grip with steel wool and then half-polish it up. This cuts down on fingerprints youget in a gloss coat and makes it look 'real world worn'. Hammer moves forward, then returns with a solenoid- once per trigger press, so even if you hold the trigger, the hammer will return to idle after a few milliseconds.

1622210577402.png

Custom serial. (I often do different numbers when I can.)
1622211152681.png

Grilles are separate pieces and slightly more matte than the overall frame.
1622211206564.png

I finally finished up a new copy for myself, size and detail-corrected. Made it nice and dirt-worn. Grips were painted with the same method (from what I understand) as the screen blasters... no hydro-dipping or masking tape. I also like to matet down the grip with steel wool and then half-polish it up. This cuts down on fingerprints youget in a gloss coat and makes it look 'real world worn'. Hammer moves forward, then returns with a solenoid- once per trigger press, so even if you hold the trigger, the hammer will return to idle after a few milliseconds.

View attachment 1462120

Custom serial. (I often do different numbers when I can.)
View attachment 1462124

Grilles are separate pieces and slightly more matte than the overall frame.
View attachment 1462125
Could you sell me your files so I could print a pla version for my Blade Runner collection
Regards
N

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back