wanna do some voice acting?

Lflank

Well I found out today that my UPS delivery guy has a sense of humor--he dropped by today to deliver a package that I had to sign for, and happened to show up while I was filming the final scenes of my movie "Predator vs Stormtroopers" (coming soon to a YouTube near you). When I answered the door in full Imperial Stormtrooper costume, he looked me up and down, then deadpanned "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" I replied "I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you!" Then we both busted out laughing.

But speaking of my movie, I am in need of voice actors. Anyone with a male voice will do. As with all my movies, I play all the roles myself, and I am voicing the main character. But I need other people to voice the supporting characters--a couple of stormtroopers and a captured rebel marine (the pred, of course, just growls and howls). So if anyone would like to do some amateur voice acting, here's your chance. All I need you to do is record yourself speaking the lines and email it to me as a .wav file (lflank@yahoo.com); I'll give you a credit line in the movie.

The lines I need are:

"Yes, sir!"

"Roger that."

"Look!"

"Intruder in the perimeter! We have an intruder in the perimeter!"

"Rebel scum."

"What ARE you . . . ?"

"It wasn't the rebels . . . "

"Over that far ridge, sir."

"Nothing, sir. No activity."

"Where are the bodies?"

"Commander, look!"

"I can't see them!"

"Over there!"

"It's hunting us . . . one at a time."

So anyone who wants to take a crack at it, YouTube stardom awaits. It'll be fun.

Let me know if you plan to send a .wav file so I can wait for it. I should be done with the principle photography and rough editing in a week or so, and will be ready to voice-edit after that.

Well I found out today that my UPS delivery guy has a sense of humor--he dropped by today to deliver a package that I had to sign for, and happened to show up while I was filming the final scenes of my movie "Predator vs Stormtroopers" (coming soon to a YouTube near you). When I answered the door in full Imperial Stormtrooper costume, he looked me up and down, then deadpanned "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" I replied "I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you!" Then we both busted out laughing.

But speaking of my movie, I am in need of voice actors. Anyone with a male voice will do. As with all my movies, I play all the roles myself, and I am voicing the main character. But I need other people to voice the supporting characters--a couple of stormtroopers and a captured rebel marine (the pred, of course, just growls and howls). So if anyone would like to do some amateur voice acting, here's your chance. All I need you to do is record yourself speaking the lines and email it to me as a .wav file (lflank@yahoo.com); I'll give you a credit line in the movie.

I'm down, I have a deep voice and some acting experience. Email me with requirements etc. for your lines (tone inflections, situations and so forth). I'll record a few and send them to you.

K

I should probably put these lines in context so you know how they should sound:

The "Yes, sir!" are stormtroopers acknowledging commands. The "Roger that" is also an acknowledgement of a command received by communicator.

The "Look!" is an exclamation made by a trooper who suddenly sees a pred uncloak and run at them with a weapon--which also prompts another trooper to shout in his communicator, "Intruder in the perimeter! We have an intruder in the perimeter!".

After dispatching the two troopers, the pred sees an unarmed rebel prisoner manacled nearby and steps over for a closer look. As they examine each other, the rebel marine murmurs "What ARE you . . .?"

After the pred cloaks and leaves, other troopers enter and level their guns at the rebel, shouting "Don't move!" One of them examines the two dead troopers and, thinking the rebels killed them, snarls at the rebel prisoner, "Rebel scum." The rebel, still mystified by what he saw, shakes his head and says slowly, "It wasn't the rebels . . ."

The trooper commander asks an underling how far to the nearest settlement, and the trooper responds, "Over that far ridge, sir"--he realizes they can't make it before nightfall.

In the morning, the commander approaches the sentry on duty and asks for a report, the sentry replies, "Nothing, sir. No activity." Just then another trooper nearby exclaims "Commander, LOOK!"--he has discovered that the two bodies from the previous day are now missing. Holding up an empty piece of armor, the trooper looks around and asks, "Where are the BODIES?"

Just then they come under pred cannon fire, and they begin firing blindly in all directions. Thinking it's the rebels attacking, one trooper yells, with a hint of panic as others are hit and fall around him, "I can't SEE them!" As the cloaked pred moves off in the distance, the rebel prisoner spots him and points, "Over THERE!" They all watch the pred, not knowing what it is. The rebel prisoner then understands what's happening and says, "It's HUNTING us . . . one at a time . . . "

After that . . well . . you gotta watch the movie to see what happens then.

This is totally an amateur production, so feel free to give it a try. It's all for fun.

I should also have mentioned that this is six different characters speaking these lines, so there's room for six different people to do the voices.

If six people do all the lines, I'll mix and match each voice to each character.

Two questions. Will you be adding the voice filter for the 'Troopers yourself? Also do you want an individual .wav for each line?

I may take a crack at this, if I can get enough quiet in the house. ;>

Two questions. Will you be adding the voice filter for the 'Troopers yourself? Also do you want an individual .wav for each line?

I may take a crack at this, if I can get enough quiet in the house. ;>

Yes, I'll be adding the radio effect myself. And no, if you put all the lines in one .wav file, I can apply all the filters to all of them simultaneously.

If you want someone with an aussie accent im totally in! let me know mate, sounds cool!

Sure. Aussie accent, British accent, what's the difference?

(I'm kidding--I know there's a difference.)

An Aussie stormtrooper would be cool.

you could just record all the voices yourself ..then pitch shift and modulate them. I replaced all the sound in "Close Encounters" for my final in Sound design years ago ..I used protools and one actress to do the dialogue for all the characters. Just a suggestion

I actually did something like this a while back for a friend. I used a cell phone to record phrases to get the lower quality sound that you would hear from a radio. THen I used audacity and adjusted the equalization and use a high pass filter. This gave it that stormtrooper sound. Worked pretty well!

you could just record all the voices yourself ..then pitch shift and modulate them. I replaced all the sound in "Close Encounters" for my final in Sound design years ago ..I used protools and one actress to do the dialogue for all the characters. Just a suggestion

That's what I've always done before--and once I used a text-to-voice program to generate all the original voices before modifying them. For me it's always been kind of a game to see how sophisticated I could make my movies all by myself--that's why I list the credits as a "OneMan Production". I play all the roles myself, by acting in front of a greenscreen for each character and then compositing them all together.

But this time I thought I'd use actual voices, and use Audacity to filter them into communications-sounding troopers. Partly because it'll sound better, and partly just because it would be fun to involve some other people.

I actually did something like this a while back for a friend. I used a cell phone to record phrases to get the lower quality sound that you would hear from a radio. THen I used audacity and adjusted the equalization and use a high pass filter. This gave it that stormtrooper sound. Worked pretty well!

Yep, that's the plan.

For an earlier YouTube movie I did, I used a text-to-speech program to turn the script into sound files with different computer-generated voices, and then used Audacity on them to adjust things till they sounded cool.

Got four submissions so far . . . room for two more.

I particularly need a "Look!!" and a couple of "Yes, sir".

I'm always up for doing lines!! Me and a couple of friends are making machinima stuff and I have a lot of experience!

I'll email some testers soon!

OK, folks, I got all the voices I needed. Many thanks to those who submitted.

The movie should be finished and up on YouTube by the end of this month. I'll post it here when it's ready.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back