Wanda Maximoff Age of Ultron Costumes and References

GoblinCityCosplay

Red Dress:

wanda1.pngwanda2.jpgwanda3.jpgtumblr_ntxmofS84I1shg1qyo3_400.gif6KRulwa.jpgtumblr_o0xc1oxf4c1u2ixy6o1_1280.jpg

I'm pretty sure this dress is custom. The fabric in the screen shots and promo stills appears to be a light cotton, but the behind the scenes images look more like a cotton spandex stretch. The pattern on the movie dress is definitely flowers. I think it could be hand replicated with fabric paint and a stamp since they're a little faded in areas. I've found some okayish fabric: https://www.fabric.com/buy/0391903/bombay-pinwheels-red if you're not inclined to hand make your own or design your own. The dress buttons up the front, I'm using a vintage McCalls 7890 pattern and altering the heck out of it.

Edit: Definitive proof the dress buttons all the way to the bottom. It also has waist ties. The jacket has some very specific features that I'll get into once the dress is taken care of.

Black dress:

wandablack.pngfreepeople.jpgtumblr_nuiwn2s0TP1tqcpx1o1_500.gifDavid-Lerner-Ripped-Leggings_0EFA352A.jpg12366297_1089627571061058_5416835261934389837_n.pngelizabeth-olsen-scarlet-witch-wanda-maximoff-avengers-ultron-dress.jpgtumblr_o0t0uqhqNH1sqohuno3_1280.jpg

Someone has already pointed out that this is a Free People Sierra dress in black that has been sold out for ages. I've kept an eye on some second hand sites like poshmark and tradesy and threadflip and ended up finding one, I'm sure they'll be popping up more and more.

Edit: Full body shot of the black dress in action. Those tights. Wanda, no. They look like the David Lerner pair (pictured) over a pair of thin black stockings.

Edit: Jewelry for this one appears to be right hand: horse shoe midi ring, red thread and gold ring. Left hand: silver double twist ring and raven claw ring. Necklace is the blue ribbon necklace. Earrings are the circle Coops of London earrings. Close up pics of the jewelry to come.

Edit: Boots are the same as the battle of Sokovia pair. I think she wears these with every costume.

Battle of Sokovia:

Right Hand Rings:
wandarings.jpg

Left Hand Rings:
leftrings.jpg

Last edited:
I did. Both are entirely custom made, there's actually two different versions of the black dress. But the one that appears most often will be getting a write up, along with the jacket.

Alexandra Byrne, the costume head, said that all of the Avengers battle outfits were made for Age of Ultron, including Wanda and Pietro. A few bits of Wanda's jewelry are custom as well, someone on the board here is familiar with the company that created those. There have been official replicas made of some costume bits- Pietro's Sokovia battle shirt and shoes were in the Underarmor and Adidas Avengers collections respectively. In the costume featurette, Aaron even talked about how they designed the shirt, then tailored it to fit his body shape better.

The good news is, some of the jewelry is not custom made and is still commercially available, while other bits have been well replicated. A few very awesome people have already sourced a lot of the jewelry and I'll probably pull in that information in or at least link it, here. I'm trying to concentrate on those first two costumes first since those are what I'm personally working on at the moment.

I finally got around to dying the black dress. It's rayon, which means you need a regular, non poly dye. I used RIT in grey pearl, 2/3 bottle with 1/16 bottle of black. I only had it in for about twenty minutes, then quick washed in cold water and dried in my dryer. Here's the end result:

tumblr_o0o59yxgRa1qjssipo1_1280.jpg

Working on the tights and figuring out the jewelry for this costume next.

Finally starting on the Sokovia Battle Outfit. First off, jewelry.
tumblr_o33f7vh6zd1v0cr8lo4_540.pngrings03.jpg
Right Hand Rings from Left to Right:

Plain silver chevron ring on the pinky finger.
Eternally-Haute-Sterling-Silver-Chevron-Midi-Knuckle-Rings-P16331058.jpg

Pamela Love Vine Cross Ring:
pamela-love-silver-vine-cross-ring-product-1-13871096-0-174126008-normal.jpegpamela-love-sterling-silver-vine-cross-ring-product-1-13871096-571275948.jpegimgres.jpg
I'm almost 100% sure this is the right hand ring finger ring. It looks like they either took a silver ring and painted the vine in the center a coppery color or it's just the way the light is hitting it.

Pointer finger base ring:
il_570xN.441190655_ickv.jpg
Can be purchased here on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1118129938

Ring finger midi ring:
il_570xN.552723476_hgf4.jpg
Can be purchased on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/59342487/silver-horseshoe-ring-sterling-silver

Left Hand Rings From Left to Right:
leftrings.jpg

*Arrowhead could also be a triangle or pyramid ring - you can also find these way cheaper on Etsy.
*Also available cheaper on Etsy.
*I think this is the best way to go for the small finger ring because in the ref image, you can see the round stone set in a thicker gold circle with small accents on either side of the setting that the wire wrap mirrors fairly well. I would trim the wrap on the actual ring as it is slightly longer than the one in the ref image.

I think this shows a better idea of the wire ring. It just needs to be the right color and right stone.
il_570xN.922241890_8j2g.jpg

Alternatively, if you don't care about the accents on either side of the setting, a thin gold stackable ring with a round red stone is super cheap and easy to find on Etsy:
51d12ae728e24366aa898fad70ec2da4.jpg

leftrings.jpg

il_570xN.922241890_8j2g.jpg

51d12ae728e24366aa898fad70ec2da4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
tumblr_o5mkxzltz61qjssipo1_1280.jpg

Thread resurrection! I'm still working on all of the costumes. Just. Slowly. This is the mockup of the red dress. I need to sharpen the v of the neckline, pattern some facing, take in the sleeves and lengthen the hem a few inches. I ordered some custom fabric with the flower print on it for the final dress. I'm going to use the same pattern for her battle dress and just alter the skirt of it entirely.

View attachment 614969

Thread resurrection! I'm still working on all of the costumes. Just. Slowly. This is the mockup of the red dress. I need to sharpen the v of the neckline, pattern some facing, take in the sleeves and lengthen the hem a few inches. I ordered some custom fabric with the flower print on it for the final dress. I'm going to use the same pattern for her battle dress and just alter the skirt of it entirely.

Thats super cool that you know how to sew, and can do it well. I think making clothes/sewing/costume design is awesome, but man. I cant do it for the life of me. Cutting fabric drives me nuts, so whenever I see someone that not only does it, but does it well, gets my total respect. *fist bump*

13938391_1126592314084833_943357739129638124_n.jpg14045769_1126592304084834_1619713642285741608_n.jpg

Got the shell of the jacket done minus sleeves and collar. I redid the bolt sections on the front a few times with different methods but still puckering. I'm also disappointed my top stitching blends so much. Meh.

I'm using Butterick 6792:

$_58.JPG

If you use this pattern, don't follow the darts! I did a mockup and made the front and side front pieces one piece, heavily took in the jacket at the back and back side piece, then made my darts with the lightning bolt pattern. I also did not cut the lightning bolt pattern into the leather, I made it just like three very complicated darts, cut away the excess afterwards, put a piece of muslin behind it and top stitched on either side.

20637977_1506422846101776_7359850631525765807_n.jpg

And I've raised this thread from the dead. I found a really good base pattern for Wanda's Sokovia battle dress. It needs very little modification, from what I can see off the bat, just the waist moved slightly up, the hemline raised and a few seams adjusted.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back