Interest Visual Dictionary Graflex Cutaway Innards

If it's done as an insert and not sliced - and it would fit in one of Roman's Graflex flashguns.... I would be interested... the more metal parts the better....

Yes please!

Been looking at that cutaway image loads while waiting for my Graflex to arrive.
Have aspirations of hiding sound and LED electronics in plain sight to fit the aesthetic, e.g. a battery in the power cell.

So I've been reading what you guys want and thinking and approached a couple of people for CNC machining and I think I've decided the best way to do it.

Here's a 3d printed and painted prototype:

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

I'm planning on having the "cycling field energisers" (ribbed brass pieces on the left), crystal holder, "diatium power cell" (aluminium 'battery' looking part on the right) and the "power field conductor" (copper piece around the power cell) all made from metal. I'm discussing having the field energisers, power cell and field conductor CNC machined and I've ordered some brass pipe that should make the crystal holder.

The main 'chassis' would be 3d printed as in the prototype, I'd probably spend a bit more time cleaning it up and maybe print some separate pieces to assemble to get cleaner lines

The "energy gate" blue parts will be a blue translucent acrylic with mirrored tape backing (they look recessed and translucent to me rather than a solid colour material)

I think with a better adhesive the reflective tape or maybe some foil tape in the crystal chamber would be sufficient.

I'll use a larger diameter brass rod for the metal piece in-between the field energisers.

I haven't figured out what the red capacitor looking things are. If you guys have any ideas let me know :)

Molex pins for the field energisers and whatever the brass pins are (I don't know yet) in the crystal chamber.

The "focusing crystal activator" parts look like 4mm clear LEDs without the usual lip on the bottom.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we didn't go CNC (cost will be the issue here I think) the prototype picture is probably what it would look like roughly. I'd spent more time cleaning up the various components on the lathe to get rid o the build lines or I could do a raw fully 3d printed kit for cheaper. I guess there's nothing stopping us having the nice machined metal kit and also making the 3d printed kit available to those who can't afford/don't want to spend as much for the metal version except that to make the metal version viable CNC-wise we'd probably need numbers.

The problems with doing a version that would work as an insert and for those that want to slice up a Roman's/make a tube version are:
A. There would have to be 2 different chassis parts as the insert wouldn't reach the end and the full length wouldn't fit inside a closed Graflex
B. There is a whole extra bunch of components to source/produce that would raise the cost of the kit and with the smaller number of people interested in a sliced version it would increase the cost dramatically.

There's no reason I can't design a longer chassis to fit inside a sliced version as each chassis will be individually printed rather than cast or whatever, so if the people that want that option are ok with finding their own parts for that section I can make that an option.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also given some thought to electronics. I think it would be possible to conceal an LED in the crystal holder and either have a battery in the aluminium battery part or behind the copper or hidden elsewhere. As the things holding the focusing crystal are LEDs we could light them too and resistored, dimmer LEDs behind the field energisers (or behind the brass rod) might give a cool glowing effect in the channel. It'd be a simple way to add a lot of cool factor to the project without really raising the cost.

As TyrellOCP mentioned there is a chance here to make this full install friendly, a small soundboard like Plecter Labs' Nano Biscotte could probably fit behind the copper section and a 3.7v battery could hide in the power cell. I could design a third chassis option that would link up to a Solo's Hold blade holder or something. It might be overkill and too complex once we actually start designing, but worth throwing out there in case there's a lot of interest in that option :)

So let me know your thoughts, if there's anything you don't like about the current plan or anything you would like to contribute. I'm not going to be able to fully please everyone as there are a lot of ways to go about this but like I mentioned, as the chassis will be 3d printed we can have a few different options using the same parts.

So I've been reading what you guys want and thinking and approached a couple of people for CNC machining and I think I've decided the best way to do it.

Here's a 3d printed and painted prototype:

View attachment 662949

I've also given some thought to electronics. I think it would be possible to conceal an LED in the crystal holder and either have a battery in the aluminium battery part or behind the copper or hidden elsewhere. As the things holding the focusing crystal are LEDs we could light them too and resistored, dimmer LEDs behind the field energisers (or behind the brass rod) might give a cool glowing effect in the channel. It'd be a simple way to add a lot of cool factor to the project without really raising the cost.

The inclusion of an electronics kit of blinkies & LED's is very cool - 2 thumbs up (y)thumbsup

As TyrellOCP mentioned there is a chance here to make this full install friendly, a small soundboard like Plecter Labs' Nano Biscotte could probably fit behind the copper section and a 3.7v battery could hide in the power cell. I could design a third chassis option that would link up to a Solo's Hold blade holder or something. It might be overkill and too complex once we actually start designing, but worth throwing out there in case there's a lot of interest in that option :)

This is a very cool concept to make a full install friendly option for those looking for a different internal crystal reveal...

Does the current plan / prototype include the parts in the area from the bunny ears to the ribbed brass pieces??

Lightsaber-cutaway highlight.jpg

Can I make a concerted suggestion?
I think this piece would best being left as just a static prop. Just how it looks in the visual dictionary. That one doesn't blink, light up or have sound. It's just a prop for the book. No need to over complicate something as simple as it already is. I think Tom is doing an incredible job with it so far. Keep up the awesome work dude.

Fun fact #2 about the visual dictionary: That version has ESB grips with the ANH glass eye. Kind of like the TFA version. But again, that's not a graflex cut in half.

I'd cut a Roman replica almost in half, not quite to have a bit of overhang. I'd want the clamp still there on the opposite side, so would build into an ESB hilt. The main black chassis (inert power insulator?) can be 3D printed in ABS, but would want the brass parts machined. Etched or laser cut copper for the power field conductor. The Diatium power cell looks like machined aluminum, but I think it would look better as a cast magnesium alloy, kind of a duller battery core, but still metal.

Everything he (and xl97) said. I'd rather buy slower and get more...

Here's how the prototype I bought from Tom came out, guys. It's really a neat piece! You should be all over it. Being in the visual dictionary for me is the same as being "screen-used", so I agree with the idea of this being better (accuracy-wise) than all those chassis being sold with light and sound. Take a look and tell by yourselves:

20161115_144000461_iOS.jpg20161115_144015562_iOS.jpg20161115_144026523_iOS.jpg20161115_144034459_iOS.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back