Vintage Speedgun Flash Disassembly Help? (Pics)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Scott D, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Scott D

Scott D Sr Member

Picked up this Speedgun in an Ebay lot of flashes, reflectors, etc. and I'm stumped on getting the remaing parts that are still attached off of this thing.

DSC03585_zpsw5g1muop.jpg

I've removed the screws in the circled areas and nothing wants to budge. Am I missing something?

Thanks for looking.

DSC03586_zpsndulqiaq.jpg

DSC03587_zpssw6mx64s.jpg

DSC03585_zpsw5g1muop.jpg

DSC03586_zpsndulqiaq.jpg

DSC03587_zpssw6mx64s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Sym-Cha likes this.
  2. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Have you considered the remote possibilty those parts need to stay on the renewed 'future' of that vintage flashgun as a lightsaber prop . . . instead of removing and tossing them in an all vintage screws and parts bin? Try thinking like a true props maker in a rush to get that lightsaber on set a.s.a.p. and wrap your brains around those parts by slamming on some T-tracks as grips, a proper clamp thingy with bubbles or so and some emitter parts to finish it ... pronto :wacko

Chaim

3. Scott D

Scott D Sr Member

They are staying on the flash. They had to come off in order to wet-sand the old dull aluminum finish away.

I figured it out. The push-button that is held in place with a set screw is pressed on, as well. :facepalm

After the push-button was pulled off, I saw the brass part that screws downinto the bulb holder inside. I didn't have the proper spanner tool for this, but sticking the sharp end of a file down into the hole, and turning it loose while pushing down on the file got it out. Same thing worked for the part with the 4 pin sockets on the bottom, which I had already removed.

Who said I was in a hurry?

[​IMG]

Sym-Cha likes this.
  4. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

is that little detail on the bottom similar to the detail on a Graflex?

good work! I've been told that those midband are sometimes heated to slide onto the flash and then cooled.

5. Scott D

Scott D Sr Member

It looks like the switch that is used to activate the glass eye on a Graflex, but all it does is lock the endcap in place. :cool

The clamp on this one slid right off.

These Speedgun flashes are a little shorter than a Peak, Heiland, etc. but they can still be made into a decent custom with some shorter grips.