Vintage MG-81 flash hider

Prop Store

cdyoung

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Extremely rare, vintage MG-81 flash hider from WWII for auction on eBay. A MG-81 flash hider (not the flash hider in this auction) was also used as part of Han Solo's DL-44 blaster in the original Star Wars film, A New Hope (1977).

eBay item number is 224202419076.

12CEA7A1-610B-4382-8150-7845EF90794B.jpeg 792DAB63-1216-47EB-B999-3A1BA759F60F.jpeg 587152F4-7506-4293-A7FD-D29BB2ACE85C.jpeg 174A3C8D-C365-40E8-8671-DE49B52B8F8E.jpeg

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

cdyoung

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
That’s a great suggestion and potential option/project for the future owner on the FH’s restoration and further beauty treatment.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

cdyoung

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks, newmagrathea! As you know personally, the MG-81 flash hider is extremely rare, and they are only in the hands of few fortunate collectors in our community.

For those that have the privilege of owning one, I think they would agree that a real parts DL-44 from ANH is arguably as difficult to acquire as a real parts Obi saber.

So here’s your chance, everyone. This will be the weekend bump!

cdyoung

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi Scruffylooking. The few MG-81 flash hiders that I could find in public auction history online from past years have ranged from a few hundred to several thousand dollars. Each was a battlefield find, and I believe condition and nearly non-existent supply are the two biggest factors in price.

A great majority of the complete MG-81’s that I have found online in private collections or museums were equipped with booster attachments with no cone flash hider. The more rare cone flash hiders have two variations. One variant has inside notches (scallops) at the base, a shorter knurled section, and two opposing wrench turndowns for attachment. The other variant (correct for the ANH DL-44) has outside notches (scallops) at the base, a longer knurled section, and two opposing holes for attachment (or set screw when building the DL-44). Otherwise, these two cone flash hider variants are identical in their dimensions.

newmagrathea

Sr Member
Thanks, newmagrathea! As you know personally, the MG-81 flash hider is extremely rare, and they are only in the hands of few fortunate collectors in our community.

For those that have the privilege of owning one, I think they would agree that a real parts DL-44 from ANH is arguably as difficult to acquire as a real parts Obi saber.

So here’s your chance, everyone. This will be the weekend bump!

Yeah, I got super lucky with getting mine. I've only seen a handful in the hobby through the years, as in could probably count on one hand how many I've seen for sale including mine. I would say it's a harder find than any Obi part.

cdyoung

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Mid-week bump on this auction, which ends Saturday. Thanks for everyone’s interest and contributions to the discussion.

mgoob

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My flash hider was referenced/ measured for the MR Solo EE.
The final version was off a few thousandths here and there; 99% accurate, IMHO.

I bought it as soon as I saw it from an on-line auction site in '08.
This did not have a booster.

Rare indeed. I've not seen anything from the MG-81 for auction on the major firearm auction sites since.

I think that it'd make a good display piece next to ones blaster, just as a war relic/ dug-up grenade would next to OWK's lightsaber.

Good luck w/ the sale!

Attachments

• MPG MG-81 flash hider 04 copy.JPG
    MPG MG-81 flash hider 04 copy.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 68

OdiWan72

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Rare indeed. I've not seen anything from the MG-81 for auction on the major firearm auction sites since.

I think that it'd make a good display piece next to ones blaster, just as a war relic/ dug-up grenade would next to OWK's lightsaber.

Good luck w/ the sale!

WOW...what a beauty!
Will you get rid off that glass-like coating?

Pedro

Sr Member

I think that it'd make a good display piece n

I Had no idea anyone here has one in such nice condition! Congrats! Bits I’ve bought from you just got a little more special hahah. :D

I’m afraid to check the link, I hope the sale goes well and this relic finds a good home!

mgoob

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I Had no idea anyone here has one in such nice condition! Congrats! Bits I’ve bought from you just got a little more special hahah. :D

I’m afraid to check the link, I hope the sale goes well and this relic finds a good home!
Nothing too special.

I helped out when and where I could.

Prop Store