"vintage 80's" metal luke skywalker electronic replica?

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ebay has a new listing, "Vintage 80's Star Wars Lightsaber Return of the Jedi RARE 122 sound"

It's a beat up (pretty accurate) metal replica that lights up and makes noise with a 9 V battery - the seller claims it's form the 80's - but I was under the impression toys weren't that accurate back then?

I'm not sure, I wasn't even born, so does anyone remember there being collectible toys like this?

(not sure if we're allowed to post links to live auctions, so search all of that first sentence in ebay's search bar, you can't miss it!)

The justification for it being from the 80s seems pretty odd. I don't think documents are typically dated with a year range and I don't remember seeing anything like it in Tomart's Price Guide. I would guess it is a more recent replica. Someone here will probably recognize it.

The picture in the instructions looks like an ad from old Marco ent. catalog. It is also simular to the Obi wan Marco made. That is my guess.
Mark

From what I read on the auction, the seller is not claiming the item is LFL approved or even a toy. It simply appears to be an attempt at a Luke ROTJ Lightsaber prop replica propably sold to fan at a con or through a magazine add (pre-internet years). I do not think the seller is trying to mislead anyone.

I agree, the seller makes no claim to it being 'official' or special. However if I'd made this in the 80's with the information we had back then I'd be pretty stoked! I kinda like it, it has a certain charm about it; bet it will sell for a few $$

I had an official lightsaber in the late 70's, and it looked nothing like the real thing, just an oversized torch with a plastic tube stuck on the end

I still have one of the Marco Ent. lightsaber hilts. The one I got was not machined metal though. Just a molded plastic that was chrome plated. It made a buzzing sound when you push down a button and there was a blue "christmas tree" light in the tip that would light up. The sound of the buzzing could be adjusted low to high with another knob on it. If I remember correctly it cost me $150 back in the day. good for a belt hanger and nothing more.

Yeah, the light sabers were heavy metal at 1st then later they were plated resin. The picture in the catalog appears to be the exact saber. I have a couple friend who have the metal Vader and Obi. I wanted one years ago. But no way at that time I could spent $500 on a prop. I was newly married my wife would have killed me.
Mark
PS Sorry it seemed to hi jack the thread!

Mark, not at all!

These marco catalogs, i never had any idea there were products out there like that at the time, someone else said usually anythin i knew of was pretty blunt and looked nothing like the actual props - they look amazing.

Man 200-500 dollars was a bit more 30 years ago than it is today, these must have been for a real enthusiast

I still have everything I purchased from Marco. I also have a couple friends who purchased some of the exspensive stuff. They too still have it. Marco had costumer service down. I would send a check out on Monday,The next Monday I got my order.The catalog were great.
Mark

So the auction just ended at a sum comparable to some machined lightsaber props of today. Anyone here bought it? :)

I'm a new member and have a ESB metal lightsaber in IMMACULATE condition that I bought from that 1993 Marco Enterprises catalog when I was a kid. Just saved up for it and bought it on my own from the catalog. I also have a real Folmer 3-cell Graflex also in new condition. I'm considering selling them on Ebay/auction because the values are going up in a big way. I think there are next to none of the Marco metal sabers around anymore and those are going way up in value because they are so rare and different. I'll post pictures soon.

Cool! I'd love to see them.

Also, if you DO decide to get rid of one of those Folmers let me know ;)

I remember wanting these in different ads from sci-fi magazines in the mid 90's...I'd love to see up close how they match up to the well known and researched counterparts. I know you can see most of the details and inaccuracies just from looking at the photos but I'd like to see them not from ad photos. You can tell right off the bat with the Vader sabers there, but the Luke ESB..it almost looks like was made from a graflex...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back