VIBRO AXE Showoff Thread Looky Looky

Hello prop whores,

i couldnt hold off painting this any longer (due to the cold weather) so went for it today, and yesterday for my pred helmet.

paints used as follows. aerosol tin matt black undercoat.(halfords)

tamiya nato black for the main body part (i must say this paint is a dead on match for the real prop in my opinion) i know it says black on the tin but its not black. more of a sooty grey.ideal and i recommend it for your build.

aerosol tin steel grey for the blade (halfords)
aerosol tin aluminium for the blade edge (halfords)

i baked all these with my heatgun then once dried i started shading the nooks and crannies with humbrol matt black.

once this was dried i had a rag that had loads of resin dust on it and i rubbed it over the whole prop, giving it a used /handled feel. plus the dust on the rag went into some of the hard to get places giving it a more weathered look.

then the paint chipping and dry brushing with humbrol silver no.11.

applied this by hand as it appears to have on the original prop.

lastly gave certain areas a light buffing with a scotch pad to indicate wear and tare.

hopeyou dont mind the crappy phone pics but i havnt got my digi cam back yet.

thanks for looking
soaker.jpg

xe4.jpg

axe5.jpg

axe3.jpg

axe2-1.jpg

axe.jpg

thanks to the following folk for helping me with the parts

clanger68 for the soaker,supermax,chest rod.

moncal for the yamaha casting

bluemiragestudios for the danco tip

some twat on ebay for the han blaster part

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup
Zorg, could you please help me out with the blade dimensions on the vibro axe, and the 2 side pieces on the blade?

Zorg, that little circle on the upper part of the blade, how much is it recessed? 1/4" or less? Based on the photos I've seen it just looks like a recessed detail.

The recess is about 2mm

You could use a rigid foam core with plastic card facings. I just used 3 plastic card sheets with spacers in between. In a sandwich type of set up. The center sheet formed the cutting edge of the blade.

The recess is about 2mm

You could use a rigid foam core with plastic card facings. I just used 3 plastic card sheets with spacers in between. In a sandwich type of set up. The center sheet formed the cutting edge of the blade.
Thank you very much for all your help. The only thing I'm having trouble finding is the Yamaha xs1100 stator cover. The original model kits are 3 to 500$. Did you replicate yours or did you get your hands on a replica piece?

I've been working on a CAD model of the blades to be 3D printed in Resin or ultimately have it machined out of aluminum. It's one of those Perpetual back Burner projects lol

Thank you very much for all your help. The only thing I'm having trouble finding is the Yamaha xs1100 stator cover. The original model kits are 3 to 500$. Did you replicate yours or did you get your hands on a replica piece?
i have an original part and castings here.

i took the smart route and ordered just that particular sprue from the importers, it also had the biker scout nose grill thing on it as a bonus ;)

i know what you are going to ask next, the answer is not right now.

QgCjZDv.jpg

i used to sell these but the molds are done, i might make more when im bored.
Cb5IraZ.jpg

the yamaha part has the base attached and the recessed hole in the correct place, the correct danco tip and the big screw for the side of the hairdryer
mHQqSgz.jpg

z

Did you find out what that big Phillips screw was that they used. I actually have all the original parts. My dads shop actually had a bunch of amphenol connectors left behind by previous owners. So I found those the danco qd fitting etc. Pretty much everything but the hair dryer and soaker and the yamaha part. Its funny I can get a real lifesize one for 10$ but a 1/6 scale replica I need 300$ no worries about selling those. If you ever do I'm interested. I'll keep hunting in the meantime. I just want to get everything before I start building. I know If I get one later I'll have to rebuild. I really appreciate your help. Thank you

i don't know what they used, i just scratch built the big screw.

Did you find out what that big Phillips screw was that they used. I actually have all the original parts. My dads shop actually had a bunch of amphenol connectors left behind by previous owners. So I found those the danco qd fitting etc. Pretty much everything but the hair dryer and soaker and the yamaha part. Its funny I can get a real lifesize one for 10$ but a 1/6 scale replica I need 300$ no worries about selling those. If you ever do I'm interested. I'll keep hunting in the meantime. I just want to get everything before I start building. I know If I get one later I'll have to rebuild. I really appreciate your help. Thank you
there are soakers in the junkyard right now

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back