Version 2.0 Movie Metal Cap Shield

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everyone, I wanted to share the result of my second attempt at a movie metal Captain America shield. My first version was well-documented here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/metal-movie-cap-shield-budget-done-final-pics-page-4-a-128238/

After completing that very satisfying shield from a $30 sled, I wanted to move on to an actual spun aluminum shield. First, I needed to sell my version 1.0 to fund the project.

I worked with a metal spinner that Chris (thanks!) referred me to. I'm on the small side height-wise so I opted for a 25" (instead of 26") shield. The rings measure 2.5" with a 10" center circle to give it movie-accurate proportions.

With this shield having V-shaped grooves in the front, I really slaved over getting the paint effect in those grooves correct. Meaning where the color rings meet, the paint from one ring is on the downward slope of the V-groove, while the color of the adjacent ring was on the upward slope of the other side of the V-groove. Sounds simple, but it took some very careful masking. And stripping the shield and starting over once. There's a couple detail shots here to see what I mean.

For the back straps I followed much of the same brackets and detailing work as I did on my first shield. I did use a more chestnut brown leather this time to be closer to the movie look.

What can I say? I'm thrilled with the result. And I'm done now. I will absolutely never, ever, ever sell this shield in order to make a version 3.0 .... ... maybe :)

Valor

Last edited:
Re: Movie Metal Cap Shield 2.0

That is beautiful. May I ask what you used to make your bracket?

I have 2 aluminum spun shields and can never seem to find anything that meets my needs for those darn brackets.

Re: Movie Metal Cap Shield 2.0

That is beautiful. May I ask what you used to make your bracket?

I have 2 aluminum spun shields and can never seem to find anything that meets my needs for those darn brackets.

The metal brackets are 1/8" aluminum. I used what is called a "sign blank". The blank aluminum shape used by sign companies to make stop signs and such.

Last edited:
Another one knocked out the park! Great job. Getting the masking in those grooves is a pain isn't it, though I think i've done it so much now I can do it pretty quickly. I usually do some touch ups after though as well. I might be doing a stainless steel version soon if you are interested in making a stainless one as well.

I just wanted to thank Valor for the very nice work done on the Star that I bought from him last week. It arrived and the star fits perfect with paint job I completed for the third time last night. Three times the charm. :)

photo.php

Check out the thread in the first post for details on the paint. Its the Duplicolor Metal Cast Anodize paints.

Wow Valor, amazing work. Did you put a final clear acrylic coat on the top? Or what did you use? Do you do the back as well?

I had been using clear lacquer, but after about 3-4 weeks it has been getting some blotching in it. I think the acrylic might do better, I'm actually running a test on it. For my Version 3.0 (and hopefully last shield) I am going to have a pro shoot a catalyzed clearcoat.

Check out the Junkyard. I'm contemplating doing a run of the brackets similar to the ones on this shield. Let me know if you're interested.

I had a bunch of brackets, stars and clips laser cut from metal. They turned out well...much cleaner than anything I could have ever cut with metal hand tools for my shield. I really only wanted a couple sets but the company had to use up the entire sheet anyway so they cut me a ton of extra's!

View attachment 91833

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back