Version 2.0 Movie Metal Cap Shield

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Valor, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Valor

Valor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey everyone, I wanted to share the result of my second attempt at a movie metal Captain America shield. My first version was well-documented here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/metal-movie-cap-shield-budget-done-final-pics-page-4-a-128238/

After completing that very satisfying shield from a $30 sled, I wanted to move on to an actual spun aluminum shield. First, I needed to sell my version 1.0 to fund the project.

I worked with a metal spinner that Chris (thanks!) referred me to. I'm on the small side height-wise so I opted for a 25" (instead of 26") shield. The rings measure 2.5" with a 10" center circle to give it movie-accurate proportions.

With this shield having V-shaped grooves in the front, I really slaved over getting the paint effect in those grooves correct. Meaning where the color rings meet, the paint from one ring is on the downward slope of the V-groove, while the color of the adjacent ring was on the upward slope of the other side of the V-groove. Sounds simple, but it took some very careful masking. And stripping the shield and starting over once. There's a couple detail shots here to see what I mean.

For the back straps I followed much of the same brackets and detailing work as I did on my first shield. I did use a more chestnut brown leather this time to be closer to the movie look.

What can I say? I'm thrilled with the result. And I'm done now. I will absolutely never, ever, ever sell this shield in order to make a version 3.0 .... ... maybe :)

Valor

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    Finhead likes this.
  2. SirRamenNoodle

SirRamenNoodle Member

Re: Movie Metal Cap Shield 2.0

That is beautiful. May I ask what you used to make your bracket?

I have 2 aluminum spun shields and can never seem to find anything that meets my needs for those darn brackets.

3. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Very nicely done, looks like you spent the time and did it right. :thumbsup

4. Valor

The metal brackets are 1/8" aluminum. I used what is called a "sign blank". The blank aluminum shape used by sign companies to make stop signs and such.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  5. SonofJorEl

SonofJorEl Well-Known Member

Valor--Looks amazing!!

6. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Stunning! I'm drooling!

7. Valor

Thanks for the compliments guys!

8. Chris Fields

Chris Fields Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another one knocked out the park! Great job. Getting the masking in those grooves is a pain isn't it, though I think i've done it so much now I can do it pretty quickly. I usually do some touch ups after though as well. I might be doing a stainless steel version soon if you are interested in making a stainless one as well.

9. antman84

antman84 Active Member

The paintwork is absolutely fantastic well done

10. staticweb23

staticweb23 Active Member

I just wanted to thank Valor for the very nice work done on the Star that I bought from him last week. It arrived and the star fits perfect with paint job I completed for the third time last night. Three times the charm. :)

[​IMG]

11. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks great! What colors did you use for the shield?

12. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Absolutely wonderful!

13. Valor

Check out the thread in the first post for details on the paint. Its the Duplicolor Metal Cast Anodize paints.

14. Tripleasg

Tripleasg Active Member

Looks awesome!

15. sgmorton

sgmorton Well-Known Member

Where did you get your sign blank from... having a hard time locating what I need.

16. cosmic_x

cosmic_x Well-Known Member

very nice!

17. Deacon

Deacon Active Member

Wow Valor, amazing work. Did you put a final clear acrylic coat on the top? Or what did you use? Do you do the back as well?

18. Valor

I had been using clear lacquer, but after about 3-4 weeks it has been getting some blotching in it. I think the acrylic might do better, I'm actually running a test on it. For my Version 3.0 (and hopefully last shield) I am going to have a pro shoot a catalyzed clearcoat.

19. Valor

Check out the Junkyard. I'm contemplating doing a run of the brackets similar to the ones on this shield. Let me know if you're interested.

20. CousinDave

CousinDave Member

I had a bunch of brackets, stars and clips laser cut from metal. They turned out well...much cleaner than anything I could have ever cut with metal hand tools for my shield. I really only wanted a couple sets but the company had to use up the entire sheet anyway so they cut me a ton of extra's!

View attachment 91833

21. Valor

That's great. If you are looking to sell those, perhaps you could post them in the Junkyard.

22. CousinDave

CousinDave Member

Hmmm, never thought of that, but I'm not really interested in selling them, but in the good spirit of sharing knowledge and skills, I would give anyone a set for free if they wanted to pay the shipping.

23. mc1681

mc1681 New Member

WOW! Simply amazing.

24. disposablepal

disposablepal Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

that is incredible work! its perfect!

25. dhizzled

dhizzled New Member

Where can i buy one of these!!!!

26. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

Wow this is one of the best if not the best shield I have seen! Well done sir!

27. G17RDY

G17RDY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Stunning Valor, after reading your sled shield thread, and seeing the fantastic job you made on that one, i didn't think you could of made it better..... I stand corrected!!

The grooves made one hell of a difference, well done sir, a stunning example of what dedication, patience and true skill can produce!

28. Valor

29. counteragent

counteragent New Member

Awesome job again!